World Cup of Baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

World Cup of Baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ensanimal » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:23 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:that would be cool to have a world cup of baseball and i think the USA would dominate


I will bet you that the US will not win an Olympic medal in baseball in Athens.


i'll bet you canada does. ;-D
ensanimal
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10581
(Past Year: 120)
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tim Horton's

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:23 pm

it would be an interesting tournament and probably not an easy one for the US.

it's true that it's a long season, but if you look at soccer, they also have a long season and still every 4 years they have the world cup and every soccer player in the world wants to participate. it's true also that soccer is the most popular sport in the world and i'm not sure baseball would even rank in the top 5 world wide.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 14875
(Past Year: 608)
Joined: 27 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Osaka Jail

Postby Amazinz » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:59 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:it's true also that soccer is the most popular sport in the world and i'm not sure baseball would even rank in the top 5 world wide.

I am not just saying this because I am American and this is "our" game but I think Baseball will eventually overtake Soccer. Baseball seems to be the fast growing sport in the world and when the world talent level evens out the World Cup of Baseball will just be intense. It will attract a huge fan base. I am biased but there is just something special about Baseball that Soccer can't hold a candle too.

They are proposing suspending MLB play during the World Cup so U.S.A, Canada, Japan, D.R. can field their best teams. That will just be awesome IMHO.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby Rirruto » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:17 am

Amazinz wrote:Baseball will eventually overtake Soccer. Baseball seems to be the fast growing sport in the world


I disagree. I think basketball is the sport that is growing and spreading the most and the Olympics is a perfect example of that. Countries can actually compete with the "Dream Team" nowadays and there are quality pro baseketball leagues all throughout the Americas, Europe, and Asia.
Image
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2525
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Mezzanine Section 12 @ Shea

Postby LBJackal » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:08 am

Rico The Retard wrote:that would be cool but i guess what would the chances be of that happening they play 162 games or more in a season i doubt they are going to want to play anymore in the offseason


Lots of them already do: winter ball.

I don't think the US would have a chance at winning it all in the WC of Baseball. PR and DR have better teams IMO. Japan would probably be pretty good too, since not all their best players are in the majors. The only ones we know about are Ichiro, Matsui Sr, Matsui Jr, Choi, Tsao, Dave Roberts, Hasegawa, Sasaki, Ishii, Nomo, Otsuka, Takatsu, etc. I'm sure they have lots of good players left over there. USA might not even win a medal in that either 8-o

Also, Canada will have Koskie, Morneau, Reitsma, Dempster, Jeff Francis, Gagne, Bedard, Matt Stairs, Larry Walker, Quantrill, Zimmerman, and a few more probably. Reitsma might have been born in the US actually, but he's a Canadian citizen, so not really sure who he'd play for. That'd be something if Canada went further than the US in the WC of B :-b Unlikely, but funny nonetheless.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby Hey » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:16 am

Not to nit pick or anything but Hee Seop Choi is Korean. ;-)

Also, i dont think the US qualified this year. Or am I wrong? :-?

Ok, well Being an American I would think that my own country would win. But that might not be true. I think the Dominican would be a great team. But Im pretty sure USA would be Canada ;-D
Hey. Go Mets!!
Hey
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 115
Joined: 8 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: At Shea....watching batting practice

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:29 am

LBJackal wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:that would be cool but i guess what would the chances be of that happening they play 162 games or more in a season i doubt they are going to want to play anymore in the offseason


Lots of them already do: winter ball.

I don't think the US would have a chance at winning it all in the WC of Baseball. PR and DR have better teams IMO. Japan would probably be pretty good too, since not all their best players are in the majors. The only ones we know about are Ichiro, Matsui Sr, Matsui Jr, Choi, Tsao, Dave Roberts, Hasegawa, Sasaki, Ishii, Nomo, Otsuka, Takatsu, etc. I'm sure they have lots of good players left over there. USA might not even win a medal in that either 8-o

Also, Canada will have Koskie, Morneau, Reitsma, Dempster, Jeff Francis, Gagne, Bedard, Matt Stairs, Larry Walker, Quantrill, Zimmerman, and a few more probably. Reitsma might have been born in the US actually, but he's a Canadian citizen, so not really sure who he'd play for. That'd be something if Canada went further than the US in the WC of B :-b Unlikely, but funny nonetheless.


actually choi and tsao wouldn't paly for japan. choi is korean and tsao is taiwanese. korea would actually have a decent team, along with cuba and venezuela.

now, i didn't know dave roberts was japanese, not with that name. but he is from okinawa. that's cool. imagine the speed on the bases with roberts and ichiro. 8-o

and don't u forget about stubby clap! :-B



Amazinz wrote: am not just saying this because I am American and this is "our" game but I think Baseball will eventually overtake Soccer. Baseball seems to be the fast growing sport in the world and when the world talent level evens out the World Cup of Baseball will just be intense. It will attract a huge fan base. I am biased but there is just something special about Baseball that Soccer can't hold a candle too.

They are proposing suspending MLB play during the World Cup so U.S.A, Canada, Japan, D.R. can field their best teams. That will just be awesome IMHO.


i also disagree. i think sometimes north americans misjudge the popularity of soccer around the world. we are all so focused in our leagues MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL (yes NHL, this is not a joke :-B ) that we have no idea what's going on in europe, south america and asia. i guarantee that in most countries in south america and europe, soccer is the most popular sport and most people have never seen a baseball. i dunno if the popularity of baseball is growing around the world, but i believe that baseball's popularity in the US has actually decreased since the 1994 strike.

i agree that there is something special about baseball, otherwise i wouldn't be in a baseball forum.


cheers,
kimchi_chigae
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 14875
(Past Year: 608)
Joined: 27 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Osaka Jail

Postby LBJackal » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:53 am

OK so they don't have Choi or Tsao......... but they'll still be pretty good. Maybe they could play for them anyway and nobody would notice :-b
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:47 am

I like the idea of a World Cup but I don't like the idea of suspending MLB play to do it.

What would the U.S. lineup be?

C - Varitek, Piazza
1B - Helton, Thome
2B - M. Young, Kent, Boone
SS - A-Rod, Nomar, Jeter
3B - Rolen, Chavez, Blaylock
LF - Bonds, Berkman, Dunn
CF - Edmonds, Hunter, Crawford, Damon
RF - Shef, Drew,

SP - Schmidt, Johnson, Clemens, Schilling, Prior, Mulder, Oswalt, Hudson, Sheets, Wood

RP - Smoltz, Foulke
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21522
(Past Year: 463)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby DK » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:56 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I like the idea of a World Cup but I don't like the idea of suspending MLB play to do it.

What would the U.S. lineup be?

C - Varitek, Piazza
1B - Helton, Thome
2B - M. Young, Kent, Boone
SS - A-Rod, Nomar, Jeter
3B - Rolen, Chavez, Blaylock
LF - Bonds, Berkman, Dunn
CF - Edmonds, Hunter, Crawford, Damon
RF - Shef, Drew,

SP - Schmidt, Johnson, Clemens, Schilling, Prior, Mulder, Oswalt, Hudson, Sheets, Wood

RP - Smoltz, Foulke


I take back what I was going to say about Latin America. USA wins. :D
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: assiquate, Frankieon and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Apr. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at Cleveland
(12:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(12:35 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(1:10 pm)
Minnesota at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
San Diego at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact