H2H Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H Strategy

Postby GrimZeke007 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:50 pm

Is having one solid MR who puts about 3 innings a week worth having rather than getting a shaky closer or a backup hitter? Does it really affect the scores at all in comparison to roto where it can add up?
<a href="http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2242053#2242053">Help rate my team!</a>
GrimZeke007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:07 pm

in h2h i would much rather have a solid MR who can get me some cheap wins and also help me a little in whip and era, than a backup hitter....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GrimZeke007 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:09 pm

What I mean is would 3 innings be < = or > than 2 starts by a hitter like Utley as a backup infielder than a MR like Ayala. I guess its up to interpetation? Then when I think about it those innings could add up... nvm ok mr over backup starts in H2H
<a href="http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2242053#2242053">Help rate my team!</a>
GrimZeke007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:09 pm

:-?

Logic seems backwards to me. In roto, having a MR that tosses 80 innings doesn't affect your overall numbers that much with a 1250 or higher innings cap. EugeneStyles did a good study about it and shows that there are ways for it to make a solid difference though. ;-D

Now having a MR in a H2H league when you only toss 30-40 innings a week can definitely make a difference. I don't personally use MR's in either league, but I've seen it used with some success in H2H leagues.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:15 pm

The value of the MR in H2H is immense IMO. The only problem with them is that it's a crap shoot. But they do wonders for your ERA and WHIP and it's always sweet when the vulture a win or grab that unexpected save. So I would take a very good MR over a shaky closer in H2H. The comparison to a backup hitter is difficult to make. That depends a lot on your team and it's needs.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:14 pm

i would do it in either.

In roto though, I use them in pairs rather than as singletons. so I might ditch the shaky closer and get another one. It seems almost every year that is a really solid middle reliever who has starter eligibility as well. so I take both and "pair" them off. That can make a difference. this year, I went for threes and went with sheilds, linebrink and now donnelly too (used otsuka at some points, etc). sheilds and linebrink play as "starters" donnelly at reliever along with my closers, working nicely. but you gotta be patient too.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:41 pm

Amazinz wrote:The value of the MR in H2H is immense IMO. The only problem with them is that it's a crap shoot. But they do wonders for your ERA and WHIP and it's always sweet when the vulture a win or grab that unexpected save. So I would take a very good MR over a shaky closer in H2H. The comparison to a backup hitter is difficult to make. That depends a lot on your team and it's needs.

bingo...

we do not have innings limits in our HTH league and after all of the closers dried up earlier in the season several owners started using middle relievers to get vultured wins and saves. plus you have a chance of lowering your ERA, WHIP and getting an aditional 5 - 10 Ks a week on average.

i had otsuka earlier and picked up gordon after he was dropped.

if i put up the total numbers from gordon's last 7 appearances it goes like this:

6.1 innings pitched
4 hits allowed
no walks
9 Ks

and he usually has a couple of wins scattered in there...and when rivera was tired he was tapped as the most likely to close if the situation came about.

;-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jbones733 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:44 pm

my league has saves & holds, 5 rp slots, but i go w a 6 man pen,

no big names, but i tell ya my pen has been saving me last few weeks.

Takastu, Frasor, Wickman, Ayala, F, Fransico, Brower SP ;-)

help my era, whip & k/9 every week & all have gotten me vulture wins, & not many losses at all
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby contrastiktion » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:59 pm

jbones733 wrote:my league has saves & holds, 5 rp slots, but i go w a 6 man pen,

no big names, but i tell ya my pen has been saving me last few weeks.

Takastu, Frasor, Wickman, Ayala, F, Fransico, Brower SP ;-)

help my era, whip & k/9 every week & all have gotten me vulture wins, & not many losses at all

takatsu has been givin up some runs

but im all for middle relievers in H2H even if you league dosent count holds... those scoreless innings really do add up.. chances are it'll help more than hurt most weeks
contrastiktion
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DK » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:56 pm

It's not that uncommon of a strategy. In H2H, you can punt 4 categories and still win (6-4). Myself, I look for runs, SB, ERA, WHIP, and see if I can get a couple of good average guys as well (For instance, guys like Crawford and Pierre for the SB/Avg/R and J. Rincon for ERA/WHIP. Also get good closers (Lidge is looking amazing this year) for the saves. That way, you can even get a vulture win or two and rack that category too.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers