TOP 10 FANTASY PLAYERS THIS YEAR OVERALL?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

TOP 10 FANTASY PLAYERS THIS YEAR OVERALL??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NZF » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:24 pm

reiser wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote: Stolen bases are huge when evaluating a players value in standard roto scoring. Far outweighing HR's, Runs and RBI's. Average is nearly as important though and that is where A-Rod and Beltran fall down. Beltran in particular, he just could not be rated Top 10 with a .262 avg.

If you used OBP then it is a different story.

you know the Player Rater on ESPN isn't that bad a place to start-here's their top 10 (Based on pts above avg)
1. Randy Johnson, 9.01
2. Jason Schmidt, SF 8.83
3. Bob Abreu, Phi OF 8.11
4. Albert Pujols, StL OF 8.09
5. Johan Santana, Min P 7.28
6. Vladimir Guerrero, Ana OF 7.01
7. Scott Rolen, StL 3B 7.00
8. Ben Sheets, Mil P 6.76
9. Carlos Beltran, Hou OF 6.58
10. San Francisco OF, SF 6.28

You can slant those player raters, dependent on what categories you use, any way you like.

Using standard HR, AVG, RBI, R, SB Beltran is not Top 10.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby reiser » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:43 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:You can slant those player raters, dependent on what categories you use, any way you like.

Using standard HR, AVG, RBI, R, SB Beltran is not Top 10.

yes, ESPN has a massive conspiracy to overvalue Beltran :)
i'm not a fan either, but 30/30 and 100/100 can knock you in the top 10 despite your middling AVG.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZF » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:28 pm

You've got me wrong. I am a huge Beltran fan. Always have been.

And yes next year he is still a genuine 1st round draft choice for sure. His career avg. is .284 so you have to cut him a little slack in that area.

All I'm saying is that this year to date he is not Top 10 if you base it on the 5 standard roto hitting categories. The list from ESPN could be based on anything. I know position scarcity isn't taken into account, hence the number of pitchers on the list. I don't know, but if it is based on those standard 5 then they are badly understating the value of batting average and hugely overstating steals.

How could Bonds be rated below him for a start.

20 steals compared to a 90 point difference in batting average 8-o
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby reiser » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:48 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote: I don't know, but if it is based on those standard 5 then they are badly understating the value of batting average and hugely overstating steals.

Stolen bases are huge when evaluating a players value in standard roto scoring. Far outweighing HR's, Runs and RBI's.

which is it? :)
Beltran cracks the top 10 in that he is 2.45 above the "Player Average" for SB-Abreu is 2.84 above.

now it may not be the best Fantasy top 10 in the world, but it is objective.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZF » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:07 pm

reiser wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote: I don't know, but if it is based on those standard 5 then they are badly understating the value of batting average and hugely overstating steals.

Stolen bases are huge when evaluating a players value in standard roto scoring. Far outweighing HR's, Runs and RBI's.

which is it? :)
Beltran cracks the top 10 in that he is 2.45 above the "Player Average" for SB-Abreu is 2.84 above.

now it may not be the best Fantasy top 10 in the world, but it is objective.

I still believe steals should be rated way above Runs, RBI's and Runs. The reason that IMO Crawford should be rated so highly. But Crawford unlike Beltran is hitting for average as well.
I just don't understand how 20 steals can be rated above a 90 point difference in BA over 4/5 of a season.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby reiser » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:11 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:I just don't understand how 20 steals can be rated above a 90 point difference in BA over 4/5 of a season.

just guessing, but i would assume that if tried to create the average player, you would probably get a .250 average, maybe .270 if you had a minimum PA. otoh, you would probaly have 2-3 steals at best.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby G-Man » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:47 am

while it is probably a stretch to think top 10 i think Joe Nathan needs to at least be mentioned here....lights out, automatic all season.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby G-Man » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:51 am

Pujols
Abreu
Vlad
A-Rod
Schmidt
Santana
Unit