Ugh...USA Basketball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ugh...USA Basketball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:54 pm

i still think they win gold. they should be somewhat getting used to each other and the different style of play by now.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3622
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:52 pm

thetongueofire wrote:i still think they win gold. they should be somewhat getting used to each other and the different style of play by now.

Oops. :-/
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:58 pm

Amazinz wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:i still think they win gold. they should be somewhat getting used to each other and the different style of play by now.

Oops. :-/


bad prediction. talk about getting burned. :-D

but they can still win bronze. ;-7

i hope cos of this next time around in 08 they'll be more serisous and send a better TEAM.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3622
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KULCAT » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:31 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:
KULCAT wrote:Well it just got a lot better for USA as they defeat they previously undefeated Spain 101-90. Funny thing i was reading this thread about all the crying about refs and new rules etc... Dude you couldnt try to be a worst sore loser than Spain. I live in Madrid although im not Spanish and let me tell you something, Spain is the biggest sports choker of all time. This guys are the Philadelphia Eagles of team sports. Always as talented as anyone and then they fail like it was the 11° commandment. What a bunch of sore losers. They guys in TV were talking about how the system should be changed so that the numer one seed goes directly to the semifinals and how the ref screw them up blablabla. Spain´s coach refused to shake hands with Larry Brown!!! and went on to yell at the refs.
This should teach some people here that there is no anti-american refering, just bad calls. Spain got a lot of wrong calls agaisnt them but in the end they lost because they underestimated the US


the spanish coach didn't shake hands with larry brown because of the timeout thing at the end of the game. larry brown should have not called timeout, that was not a classy move by him and i can understand why the spanish coach didn't shake hands, however i don't think it was right for him not to do that. as for him yelling at the officials, u know, the loser will always whine about the officiating, it happens in every sport all the time.


The Spanish was talking crap about the officiating and how the lost the game because of it. Thats being a sore loser. The Us played better in that game and thats why they won. The Spanish coach showed no class either and if you lived in Spain like i do you would understand that this no taking any responsability for defeats is very common in them.



okay, second problem. hehehe. i don't think spain underestimated the US, the americans have a better team and eventhough they haven't been playing well, they still have the superior team in the olympics. if the US plays what everyone knows they can play, it's gold for sure, reaching that level is anothe issue
.

Well you can forget it about that. The Americans are not playing for gold not cause they didnt "gel" or cause they played without much effort. The were OUTPLAYED. Thats why the lost to Argentina today. It was no fluke. Argentina was the best team outhere today. And i dont think is a question of talent. Everyone knows theyre talented but SUPERIOR to other teams? Sorry not this squad. You prove your superior to other teams in the court. The best team on paper doesnt mean squat.

third problem. choking. i think there is a problem with this concept. people say that other choke cuz they didn't win when they were supposed to. this becomes evident especially at the olympics. i won't talk about the US cuz they win so many medals that it doesn't matter if they lose a medal or two, but countries that don't win that many medal and go to the olympics with high hopes in few events say their athletes choked if they don't win the gold when they were favorite. take canada as an example. perdita felicien was suppose to win gold in the women's 110m hurdles, but she fell on the first hurdle, and there is a sense in canada that the pressure got to her, the whole country was watching and she was supposed to bring the gold to canada. s**t happens. that's what might be happening with spain, because they don't win 50 medal each olympics the press starts saying that they choked and so on.



As ive told you i live in Spain and the fact that you dont know about spanish reputation in sports as the perennial bridesmaids shows your point of view as somewhat limited. When it comes to teams sports like basketball, football(soccer), field hockey, waterpolo.. you name it.. Spain is always among the top 10 before a tournament starts. You see the team and the players who usually play around the best leagues in the world wich in most of this leagues are in Spain. The best male soccer leagues in the world is in Spain. The second best women soccer leagues, the mens and women´s basketball leagues are among the 3 best in the world. Yet they always underchieve. By that i mean they dont reach the podioum. The semis, the finals. Its not eve close to the cigar and people just dont get what happened.
Case and point Argentina defeated the Us today. There were the better team. Spain had previously manhandled Argentina yet they couldnt take on the US. Trust they are chokers

half time now. argentina up by 5 :-o
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 1814
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Panama mi bella Panama

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:16 pm

ARGGGH! This is the most pathetic day in US sports ever. Allen Iverson and the other bums on this team (not Duncan or Marbury, who tried their hardest) should just have their contracts voided. Didn't feel like playing defense, eh? Tearing up your contract. Thats what losers get, the US should not accept anything less then gold at basketball. On a side note, Duncan got mugged everytime and they called every foul they could on him. The anti US refs are bad, but they only helped the losses, not caused them. Thank god the Olympics are almost over, because I hate all the super hype they put into it.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: uphonnandam and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact