Remember the Chipper vs Aramis thread? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Remember the Chipper vs Aramis thread?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Remember the Chipper vs Aramis thread?

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:08 am

I can't find it, but Im sure you remember it. It asked about who were going to be the good 3b for the rest of the year, and I argued Aramis something like 4th or 5th best. Many people disagreed and said Chipper would be better because of his track record. Well, umm players decline. And now we sit here in the middle of August, and Aramis is absolutely destroying Chipper. So anymore Larry Jones supporters left out there? Or is it time to admit a lost season for Chipper which is surely the beginning of his decline in the Robin Ventura like mediocrity?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:14 am

Throughout the last month, Chipper is 30/100 (.300) 15 runs, 6 HRs, 22 RBI, 1 SB.

Aramis is 26/83 (.313) 16 runs, 8 HRs, 17 RBI, 0 steals, and one possibly severe injury.

I'd still take Chipper from here on out.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby warrick95 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:15 am

Check out Chipper's stats over the last month or so. It seems like he's beginning to snap out of it and will finish strong. Over the rest of the season, I'd take Chipper over Aramis by quite a bit. Chipper's going to be a strong buy low headed into drafts next year. Players don't suddenly decline like that. He's been clearly killed by injuries all year.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:16 am

chipper is hitting .341 with 10 rbi and 2 hr in august.

aramis is hitting .301 with 5 rbi and 2 hr in august.

so, yeah, i think larry still has some juice left in him.
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:17 am

That was pretty biased in the fact that you put down Chippers easily calculated average of 30/100 but didn't put down Aramis, which is .313. This is playing his worse baseball this season in less time, yet he has Chipper beat in average, runs and homers. If he hadnt missed some time, he'd probably be winning in RBIs too. And yet you'd still take Chipper from this year out? Uggh, Slomo, your anti Cub bias is hopelessly uncurable.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:18 am

George_Foreman wrote:chipper is hitting .341 with 10 rbi and 2 hr in august.

aramis is hitting .301 with 5 rbi and 2 hr in august.

so, yeah, i think larry still has some juice left in him.

Chipper has 4 HRs in August including today's game.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:19 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:That was pretty biased in the fact that you put down Chippers easily calculated average of 30/100 but didn't put down Aramis, which is .313. This is playing his worse baseball this season in less time, yet he has Chipper beat in average, runs and homers. If he hadnt missed some time, he'd probably be winning in RBIs too. And yet you'd still take Chipper from this year out? Uggh, Slomo, your anti Cub bias is hopelessly uncurable.

Calm down, I added Aramis's average right when I noticed what I did. Check out the other replies...I'm not the one with bias here.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:22 am

August has been only 10-12 games and Aramis has missed a few of those. But the argument in that thread from like June was who would have the better season from here on out, and its clearly been Aramis. He hasn't slowly declined; if you read the article today by RFay, you can see that his home runs have continued to drop and so has his OPS steadily. That screams decline. Aramis will finish stronger then Chipper, especially if he is moved into the 4 slot where he belongs.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:25 am

Rotoworld wrote:The Cubs intend to be careful with Aramis Ramirez's groin injury, to avoid him missing two weeks like he did in early July.
"You could tear that thing and you'd be out the rest of the year," said manager Dusty Baker. "That's why he didn't play the other day; I was trying to guard him. And I told you that's why he wasn't batting higher in the order, because I don't want him to have to run. Everybody says, 'Move him up, move him up,' but all you're going to do is just hurt him if he has to score on a double or something like that." Ramirez is day-to-day.
Source: Arlington Daily Herald

I would honestly stay far away from Aramis right now....when your own manager (who is known for hiding injuries) says this publicly about you, it can't be good.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:27 am

Has to score on a double? If he can't make it then he shouldn't be sent. Aramis has produced, sore groin or not. You couldn't say that about Chipper and his hammy earlier. The not moving him up thing is total managerial BS anyways, you know the reason he doesn't is because he is stroking Sosa's ego. He just had to make up another reason for Aramis not hitting 4th.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers