Anyone else think Philly is done? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone else think Philly is done?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GSes » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:30 pm

Braves are not overachieving.

Their lineup when healthy is very good. Their rotation of Thompson, Hampton, Byrd, Wright, Ortiz should not be as good as the Phillies or Marlins rotation but all 5 of those guys are healthy and all they have to do it pitch well enough to give their team a chance to win w/ Smoltz in to close out the door.

Marlins are the most talented team in the divison, but Beckett has been DL all year

Phillies are hurt, underachieving, and bowa's days are over.

The Cubs have the WC period. no one is going to beat them for that
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:36 pm

Yeah I think the Braves are overachieving. The Cubs are not a lock to win the W.C. There'd be no reason to play the games. Hey you're talking to a Mets fan. Miracles can happen and ya gotta believe. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rubidium » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:40 pm

Sigh. I wish I could be as optimistic as Amazinz, but I can't see the division or wild card going to the Phils this year. Looking at the rest of our schedule (21 games against the Mets, Marlins, and Braves, against which we're 12-26), I'd say we're done. Plus, having Burrell and likely Millwood out for the year doesn't help

Heh, I just read today that the Phils were 6.0 games back in their division on the same date back in 1980. Kinda interesting, but almost definitely won't amount to anything this year.
Rubidium
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:50 pm

The Braves starting pitching is overachieving at the moment. However you're in a fantasy land if you think that they will suddenly start to play sub .500 ball like they were the first half of the season. They already had their cold spell and their fair share of injury problems, now the rest of the East are having theirs.

The Phillies are not going to magically win the division or the WC. They have shown NO indication that they can go on a 30-8 type run they would need to make the playoffs.

Typical Mets fan in complete denial, it's almost laughable. I have never seen a fan base so oblivious to reality.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DieHardCubbie » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:40 pm

GSes wrote:The Braves have the AL East won
The Cards have the AL Central won

I doubt very seriously that happens this year... :-b

With the six game remaining with the Braves....I am not at the point of saying they are completely out of it...but I think the fat lady is tuning up.... B-)
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:43 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Typical Mets fan in complete denial, it's almost laughable. I have never seen a fan base so oblivious to reality.

Baseball is my escape from reality. And what I really want is an escape from the reality that if the Braves win the division they will represent the NL East by choking again. :-[
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:03 am

slomo007 wrote:IMO they are the 2nd most disappointing team of 2004...behind only the Astros.

The Phillies are done. They looked good on paper in April but I think the Millwood and Burrell injuries are the coup de grace on their season. I think Bowa may just be too much of a jackass to manage a winner.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:13 am

DieHardCubbie wrote:
GSes wrote:The Braves have the AL East won
The Cards have the AL Central won

I doubt very seriously that happens this year... :-b

With the six game remaining with the Braves....I am not at the point of saying they are completely out of it...but I think the fat lady is tuning up.... B-)

I agree. I will bet anyone $1,000 that the Cards don't win the AL Central. Anyone want some of that action??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:21 am

Yeah I'd take that bet but not for $1,000 dollars. Maybe a long the lines that you'll sport a Mets avatar for a month or vice versa .... ;-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby slomo007 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:25 am

Amazinz wrote:Yeah I'd take that bet but not for $1,000 dollars. Maybe a long the lines that you'll sport a Mets avatar for a month or vice versa .... ;-)

Look deeper...I don't think the Cardinals will win the AL central either.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers