Gil Meche - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gil Meche

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gil Meche

Postby beezer » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:25 am

I know a lot of you out there can't stand this guy, but, he has been strong since being re-called. Dominated the Twins last night with 7 K's, the second straight game with 7 K's. I need some back of the rotation help heading down the stretch. I have Lieber but I don't know if he will be sent to the pen with the great pitching of El Duque. I also have Brazelton. I am in a 14 team mixed H2H points league. Would you consider Meche? I had him last year and he was unbelievable in the first half. It looks like he could have the same kind of second half this year.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thomasps3 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:24 pm

After his abysmal start, an owner dropped him in my AL only keeper league. I was quite surprised, given his $3 price and his performance last year. I would expect though that this year will end up getting you maybe 3-5 Ws, with a 4.0 era and a 1.37 WHIP, but next year, I'd expect 10-14 wins with same whip and era...

;-D ;-D
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby G-Man » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:00 pm

in a 14-team mixed H2H league I would probably pick him up. seems like control issues were worked out during his strong AAA tenure so he certainly could be a nice addition to the back of a fantasy roster in a 14 team league. ;-D
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Nipples » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:08 pm

would he be a good addition to a staff like this?

Wood
Ollie Perez
Carpenter
Beckett
Dtrain
Mussina
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:31 pm

I personally wouldn't be jumping on the Gil Meche bandwagon myself. Of course, I live in the Seattle-area, so I've been shell-shocked by Meche's performances before and that kind of trauma is tough to get over. "Stop the bombing! Ahhhhh!"

That being said, he might be an okay pick-up for the short term, once he gets past his next start against the Yankees on Sunday. After the Yankees, the M's play KC, DET, TB, KC, and TOR. For that stretch, he's an okay risk, I think. In September, though, the M's are up against the White Sox, Red Sox, and finish out the year with 20 games against Oakland, Anaheim, and Texas. I wouldn't want any part of that.

Additionally, the team stinks. They don't hit much, the bullpen is in shambles, the defense is weak and they are vying with KC for the worst record in the AL.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Return to Baseball Leftovers