is soriano still top 5?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

is soriano still top 5??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:18 pm

I agree with a lot of the points that have been made, but there is still a good chance that Soriano finishes .285 30-100-15, which is still a very good season regardless of where he plays. The fact that he plays 2b, just adds to his value. However, I think the main point is that it can easily be argued that this is just an off year, and a .300 35 110 25 season can be expected for next year. I honestly see him as top 5, or at worst top 10, because of the lack of talent at 2b. Who is ahead...A-Rod, Pujols, Vlad, Helton perhaps, Manny is up there....but in terms of who I would want after the big 3, Soriano has to be the guy.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:20 pm

I might add that I am probably biased because going into this year, I was not really all that high on Soriano. However, due to not drafting a good 2b, I was stuck with a revolving problem at 2b that started with Kennedy, then Bellhorn, now Polanco...it's a keeper league, and I'm desperately trying to package Berkman and a closer to trade for Soriano because the lack of production at 2b is killing me.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby pitnit » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:06 pm

I'm pleased with what soriano's produced so far at a shallow position at 2B, everything except his SB's. His power numbers have really picked up since July, and I think he can end up with 35 dingers, over 100 Rbis. The only problem is that Texas doesn't run as much as the Yankees, and that has hurt Soriano's speed game. Just look at how well A-rod is running this season in NY, compared to when he was with the Rangers. With that said, I still think Soriano is a top 10 player, just not top 5 anymore. He is, and will continue to be for seasons to come, the only second baseman who can hit 35 hr's AND get you 15-20 steals.
pitnit
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Slow Pitch » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:20 pm

No :-t
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Longhorns76 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:40 pm

In Robby Alomar's big season's he was a 15 HR and 30+ steals guy and he was a top 10 player because of average and runs scored. I think we have become spoiled because of the gaudy stats that Soriano has put up in the last three years that we are now saying that he isn't having a good season or he is struggling. He is still hitting elite numbers and he still steals bases but because of what we have seen in the past, we have come to expect more from a 2b than we had in the past. When Kent and Boone retire, we will be privilaged to have a guy to have 20+ hr's and learn to appreciate the stats from the position and not get into a frenzy when someone doesn't put up 40-40.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers