is soriano still top 5?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

is soriano still top 5??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

is soriano still top 5??

Postby Real Deal » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:13 pm

i was wondering, with soriano not running too much, is he a top 5 pick still. if a draft was today, where would you pick him. also, i saw that they are tickering with there lineup in arlington, so this may give him a few more swipes.
Real Deal
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:31 pm

For me,

A-Rod
Pujols
Vlad

Soriano....but yeah, he is still top 5 only because of position scarcity. I can definitely see him slipping to middle to late first round though because of this "poor" season.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Re: is soriano still top 5??

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:37 pm

Real Deal wrote:i was wondering, with soriano not running too much, is he a top 5 pick still. if a draft was today, where would you pick him. also, i saw that they are tickering with there lineup in arlington, so this may give him a few more swipes.

i would classify him top 10 right now, not top 5 anymore as there are several guys that i could see being picked ahead of him now....i could possibly see helton, abreu, thome, rolen, and beltran all going ahead of him during some drafts next year due to his down season this year in the SB category......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby zEli173 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:42 pm

In the end his SB's will still be down, but the rest of the year he should contribute quite a bit in that cat if he continues to hit leadoff.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:23 am

He is still top 5 in my eyes. 2nd is by far the shallowest position.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:45 am

He's not even the top 2b this year though, Michael Young is. That's how disappointing Soriano's season has been. Barring a hot streak to end the season I wouldn't take him top 5 again. For some reason all his numbers are down in a hitter's park.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tlef316 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:02 pm

michael young wont qualify at 2nd next year. Soriano is a top 7 pick next year, but probably not top 5 unless he has a monster september
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:04 pm

Right, I'm just pointing out that he's not having a good year- not even leading at his position.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:23 pm

I agree with KolbSaves..he's top 10 in my book, but definitely not top 5.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby great gretzky » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:06 pm

i agree. scarcity is important, but at some point you have to turn that into a statistical advantage. I fail to see how taking soraino helped, this year (in the top 5 -- heck even top ten) rather than hurt you in terms of opportunity cost.

I would rather have had a good about of people over him when all is said and done.

I know you can skip the big otufielder, take soriano and end up scoring with drew etc. but what about the guy who got manny or thome or something, then got young later? or someone else? I think scarcity is important definitely -- but at the end of the day your grand total of stats is what wins or loses, scarcity is a fleeting advtnage if you don't capitalize -- all of those strategies are contingent on soriano producing ar a comprable level to the other big studs, and he hasn't.

I should add that of course he is a "stud", but he isn't first round material stud right now, and that makes the scarcity argument harder to employ, because now your OF has to not only make up the difference in stats from soraino/OF to say bonds/2b, but he has to make up some of sorianos slack too, as he underperformed.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers