Where's the Peavy love? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's the Peavy love?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:00 pm

I drafted Peavy in several leagues this year and have started him every time he's taken the mound. No worries about him from me. :-)

I'll be looking to get him next year as well. :-°
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Opinion Ape » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:21 pm

Sorry I'm coming late to this party. I am a huge Peavy fan, and these comments aren't directed at anyone in particular. Two things, though:

First, if I recall correctly, Peavy's WHIP was around 1.45 earlier this year. Thus, he's brought it down some. Plus, as rockpile pointed out, in just the last month, his WHIP is UNDER 0.70. UNDER 0.70. If nothing else, certainly that's an jaw-dropping trend.

Secondly, I don't buy the argument that a high WHIP and a low ERA are *necessarily* indicative of luck. In aggregate, perhaps that's true, but in any specific case, why can't the WHIP be the number that's the result of luck -- bad luck, as it is. Perhaps Peavy's high WHIP is due to the fact that: a) he's a genuinely good pitcher, such that teams can't string an extended series of hits against him and b) earlier, he was victimized by some bad luck such that balls went into gaps or between fielders. And maybe now that bad luck is evening out, and we'll see his WHIP fall more in line with his ERA.

Of course, walks are a different issue.

Still, Peavy is a young stud, who is relatively rested going into the home stretch here. I am thrilled I have him.
Opinion Ape Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby beltrans_boy » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:24 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:
mikegp wrote:
Baseballer02 wrote:I think the ERA/WHIP mismatch has a lot to do with the fact that he has the ability get himself in a jam with the bases loaded......and then strike out the next three batters.

I agree with you 100%.

I'd rather he just strike out the first 3 batters. :-o

Don't get me wrong, Peavy's a stud in the making, but there's no way his ERA should be 2.17 with a WHIP of 1.30. The discrepancies with the league aggregate are astounding, so there's SOMETHING going on there. I'd imagine it has a little to do with luck...

Who is that in your avatar? It looks like Hideki Irabu.

Good call! ;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:40 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:SHHHHH!
Keep it quiet. :-D

lmao ..

exactly ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Longhorns76 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:24 pm

I love Peavy as well. Kevin Towers knew that if he had to give up one pitcher to the Pirates that he would rather have Peavy than Oliver Perez. Is this crazy? From a fantasy standpoint probably so. But from a GM standpoint it makes sense because he knew what Peavy is made up mentally. He battles and battles and battles.

My arguement about the high WHIP is that he is slowly earning the respect of umpires who were calling balls on the edge of the corners alot more at the beginning of the year than they are now. His whip has gone down his strikeouts are increasing because the the umpire respect. Now that may sound perposterous and it might just be but that's an educated guess after watching the games earlier this year. His hits allowed are about the same however but he doesn't give up HR's and he keeps the guys from scoring.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby swingaway » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:03 pm

also dont forget that earlier in teh year he had elbow problems.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby contrastiktion » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:01 am

rmeesig wrote:
Baseballer02 wrote:I think the ERA/WHIP mismatch has a lot to do with the fact that he has the ability get himself in a jam with the bases loaded......and then strike out the next three batters.

two words: Khalil Greene

definatley... he gets alot of double plays started... i think ive seen him on web gems more then anyone else out there... definately my vote for NL ROY
contrastiktion
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers