Julio Lugo or Jose Vidro - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Julio Lugo or Jose Vidro

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby beltrans_boy » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:00 pm

LBJackal wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:Vidro, and it's not even close.

(Unless you happen to be hard up for steals)

Lugo has 13 more R, 7 more RBI, 12 more SB's, a similar BA, and 5 less HR's.

I think it's obvious that 12 SB's, 13 R, 7 RBI are more valuable than 5 HR's, so how in the world can you say it's not even close and Vidro is better 8-o Not saying Vidro can't be better, but what the hell was your reasoning? Just cuz Lugo has way more SB's it means you only take Lugo if you want SB's? So if somebody takes A-Rod over Lowell, they only want A-Rod because they're hard-up for steals? Using your logic, I guess so.

If this is a landslide, it's in favour of Lugo, who is also now at the top of the batting order where he is tearing it up.

Again, it's not even close. Vidro will outproduce Julio Lugo from here on out and has outproduced him over the last 3 months. Remember Vidro's 2-month slump during April and May? The one where he was batting around the Mendoza line for the first 60 games of the season? That will account for his less-than-stellar 2004 season numbers. If we compare Vidro's last 3 months, I think you'll get a more realistic picture of the numbers he's capable of putting up.

Through 198 ABs, here are Vidro's stats since June 1, 2004:

.338 BA, 8 HRs, 36 Runs, 35 RBI, 2 SBs, 14 2Bs, 67 H

In the same period (through 224 ABs), here are Lugo's stats:

.294 BA, 2 HRs, 38 Runs, 25 RBI, 10 SBs, 16 2Bs, 66 H

Despite 26 fewer at-bats for Vidro, who is also playing on one of the worst offensive teams in the league, Runs, 2B and H are eerily similar. Vidro has a massive edge in BA, HRs and RBI. Lugo has a massive edge in SBs. That's it. So, like I said, if you need SBs, Lugo's your guy, if you need anything else, I think you'll find Vidro a more promising candidate.

Obviously, if you compare full-season numbers, they're a little more reasonable, but that's cutting Vidro short. He's a MUCH better player than he showed for in the first two months. He's also demonstrated that he's rebounded quite nicely from those duldrums. To make it even more fair, if you like, here are the numbers for Lugo's BEST 3 months (by BA) in the season: April, June and July:

Through 258 ABs, here are his stats during those 3 months:

.306 BA, 3 HRs, 43 R, 34 RBI, 9 SBs, 16 2B, 79 H

So if you compare Vidro's last 2.3 months, to Lugo's BEST 3 months, we've still got a similar result:

Vidro wins in BA & HRs, despite having 60 fewer at-bats in only 2 months and 10 days. Lugo barely wins in Runs and Hits. They're pretty much locked in 2B and RBI. Once again, Lugo wins in SBs.

I've tried to lay it out as plainly as I can for you. Vidro puts up better all-around numbers than Lugo, unless you're looking for SBs. The numbers clearly indicate this. It's not even up for debate.

There are 3 reasons why you would want Lugo over Vidro:
    1. Stolen Bases
    2. Injury history
    3. Multi-position eligibility
But if we're talking pure numbers at 2nd base, Vidro is CLEARLY the better candidate. It's not even a debate. Vidro hits for more power, average, and has comperable production stats. [/b]

Break down the stats any way you like Jackal, Vidro will always come out on top except in Stolen Bases and maybe runs scored.

SO, to recap, if you need stolen bases, Lugo's your guy. Otherwise, Vidro will blow him out of the water in every other category. You can't refute the numbers, and Vidro has them. Lugo does not. They're 2 very different types of players, and they both warrant consideration in their own right, but c'mon, don't try to sell the fact that Lugo is the A-Rod to Vidro's Lowell. That's just silly. A-Rod outperforms Lowell in EVERY category. Vidro outperforms Lugo in 3 of the 5 typical Roto cats, and they're VERY close in 1 of those cats. I hope you see the light, Jackal. It's all there, in front of your eyes...

;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:16 am

Bump! I didn't write all that to be ignored Jackalllllll!
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bloody Nipples » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:46 am

great post, Beltrans boy! That was very incitefull.
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:00 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:great post, Beltrans boy! That was very incitefull.

Ahhhhh, the wonders of fishing for compliments. :-b

And look, I'm being civil to a Giants fan! :-D Thanks Bloody (8-o) Nipples! BTW, I'm pullin for the G-men for the NL WC spot. Nothing like a Dodgers/Giants NLCS... ;-D
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers