Baby or Barry? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Baby or Barry?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:06 am

There's not much to it........ Babe is simply head and shoulders above EVERYBODY whose ever played baseball. Not to mention the 5 years he lost while he was an awesome pitcher.

Sure, for the past 5 years, Barry has been awesome. He's hit .340 over that span. But we're not basing this on 5 years. His career BA, despite his amazing 5 year span, is still below .300. And in a HR era he's only hit 50 HR once. At a time when every team in the league averaged 40 HR per season, Babe hit 61. Come on......... that's like Barry hitting 268 HR's this year. Nobody's even had 268 hits in a season.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:45 pm

Babe Ruth, without a doubt. LBJ has made some excellent points, and wkelly as well.

Ruth. Bonds is 3 times better than anyone in the game today, Ruth is 10 times better than anyone who ever played.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Bennett4prez » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:19 pm

But you need to pose the question. How was Babe so mystical? Can you honestly say he was THAT good? Lack of competition had to play a factor into it somewhat. Nobody can be THAT much better than EVERYONE else that has EVER played the game...can he?
Bennett4prez Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Rico The Retard » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:21 pm

y was this thread brought up again
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Re: Baby or Barry?

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:39 pm

Bennett4prez wrote:Barry Bonds is projected to pass Babe Ruth on the All-Time Home Run list next April. So, I wanted to impose this question. If both players were free agents in their prime next season, who would you prefer? Bonds or Ruth?

This is Bennett4prez, moderator of the Great Debates forum on the Football side. If you have any questions, or are interested in starting up your Fantasy Football season, check us out!

Hmm, I don't know. If they were FA tomorrow? Bonds is pretty old but wouldn't Babe be like 100? ;-7 :-b
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:12 pm

Bennett4prez wrote:But you need to pose the question. How was Babe so mystical? Can you honestly say he was THAT good? Lack of competition had to play a factor into it somewhat. Nobody can be THAT much better than EVERYONE else that has EVER played the game...can he?

No he wasn't. He was amazingly great, but not that much better than everyone else. Comparing him to the rest of the league during the 20s is pretty misleading. He was the only player even trying to hit homeruns, it would be similar if you put Bonds into a league filled with players who played the game like Juan Pierre. Bonds would still be a great hitter, but comparing him to the slap-hitting league he would look 10 times more impressive. There were no major rule changes after the 1928 season, but the league was filled with more power hitters. Ruth's numbers were still great, but since the league was filled with more players who played the same style they don't stick out nearly as much.

Having said all that, I would take Ruth. But moreso because I could pitch him as a spot starter. Offensively I would put them about dead even.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby BigMusky » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:14 am

what about the arguement that the other way. People are saying Bonds is better because he has more competitions and what not. What would the Babe be with conditioning, strength programs, and roids? HOLY COW!!!

I would take the Babe because Bonds is a cheating , but that is another debate.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:38 pm

I'd take Ruth and play him in right for four days and pitch him on the fifth. He'd make more money on my team than A-Rod could even dream about because he'd be Bugs Bunny.

You remember Bugs Bunny, right?

Pitching: Bugs Bunny
Catching: Bugs Bunny
First Base: Bugs Bunny
Second Base: Bugs Bunny
etc.
etc.
etc.

Babe = Bugs

:-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby BigMusky » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:53 pm

classic....
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:33 pm

Normally, I would hate it when an old thread was bumped up but since it's the offseason, why not?? :-°

Here's my (more than) 2 cents based on what was said already:

jumpman8288 wrote:I really wish that somehow we could see how good Mickey Mantle would have been had his career not been so injury-ridden. I truly think he could have been the greatest player ever.

I agree. Injuries and partying curtailed what could have been the greatest career ever. :,-(

wrveres wrote:I think I'll take the guy who has 600 homers and 500 stolen bases..

And 0 wins. Honestly, in more games and AB, Bonds only leads in 2B, BB, and SB. Everything else is for Ruth. And I mean everything.

Thanks but I'll take the guy who outhomered entire teams. I'll also take the guy who lost a bunch of seasons early in his career to pitching. I can only imagine the numbers that Bonds would be chasing if not for that.

DK wrote:Babe Ruth, without a doubt. LBJ has made some excellent points, and wkelly as well.

Ruth. Bonds is 3 times better than anyone in the game today, Ruth is 10 times better than anyone who ever played.

While it is impossible to quantify it, I would agree with your analogy.

IMHO, you can't just compare numbers. You need to look at them relative to their competition at the time and Ruth towered over his competition more than Bonds. I will also add that Bonds best years have been as he approached 40. While amazing, just a few years ago, he wasn't even considered the best player in the game. That title went to Griffey and then A-Rod.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk