SPIEZIO VS. PALMEIRO - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SPIEZIO VS. PALMEIRO

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SPIEZIO VS. PALMEIRO

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:31 pm

I forget who it was but how is that Spiezio will do just as good as Palmeiro guarantee working out for you?? You know who you are. :-)

Be a man and own up to it. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:39 pm

I believe this is the thread where that discussion came up but no way did I guarantee Spiezio would do just as good as Palmeiro.

I used Spiezio and Wes Helms as examples of about where Palmeiro was heading as a 1B this season. I was basing that on Spiezio and Helms production in 2003 and my projected numbers for Palmeiro in 2004.

Well as usual I'm right on the money with Palmeiro's huge decline in HR's, take a look all of you who rubbished me for that and own up that you were wrong ;-7

Helms as we know has been injured most the year and Spiezio has been awful playing irregularly on a terrible offense. I have no doubts though if Spiezio had been batting cleanup and 5th for the Orioles all season, his overall numbers wouldn't be far behind Raffy's, which is what I was arguing all along.

And I've still never told you the problem with having 5 TV's in your lounge :-)

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... c&&start=0
Last edited by NZF on Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pomplona's finest » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:39 pm

Zito is God? :-?
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:24 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:I believe this is the thread where that discussion came up but no way did I guarantee Spiezio would do just as good as Palmeiro.

I used Spiezio and Wes Helms as examples of about where Palmeiro was heading as a 1B this season. I was basing that on Spiezio and Helms production in 2003 and my projected numbers for Palmeiro in 2004.

Well as usual I'm right on the money with Palmeiro's huge decline in HR's, take a look all of you who rubbished me for that and own up that you were wrong ;-7

Helms as we know has been injured most the year and Spiezio has been awful playing irregularly on a terrible offense. I have no doubts though if Spiezio had been batting cleanup and 5th for the Orioles all season, his overall numbers wouldn't be far behind Raffy's, which is what I was arguing all along.

If memory serves, you sent me a PM a month or 2 ago reminding me of our wager. Now, you are responding with ifs?? If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be a holiday. The fact remains that you knew that Spiezio wasn't hitting 4th or 5th for the A's when you made your guarantee and you sure knew it when you sent me the reminder PM. :-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby NZF » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:43 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:I believe this is the thread where that discussion came up but no way did I guarantee Spiezio would do just as good as Palmeiro.

If memory serves, you sent me a PM a month or 2 ago reminding me of our wager. Now, you are responding with ifs?? If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be a holiday. The fact remains that you knew that Spiezio wasn't hitting 4th or 5th for the A's when you made your guarantee and you sure knew it when you sent me the reminder PM. :-)

You are obviously afflicted with the same problems as Raffy. A wager was never mentioned. What I said in the PM was remember who said Raffy was going to decline and that he would end up with not much better numbers than a guy like Scott Spiezio.

Well so far, this 9 season straight 38 or more HR hitter is just 5 HR's ahead of a guy that has played 20 games less than him and has never hit more than 17 HR's in a season. If you want to count that as a victory and give no credit, then go for it.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:42 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

You are obviously afflicted with the same problems as Raffy. A wager was never mentioned. What I said in the PM was remember who said Raffy was going to decline and that he would end up with not much better numbers than a guy like Scott Spiezio.

Well so far, this 9 season straight 38 or more HR hitter is just 5 HR's ahead of a guy that has played 20 games less than him and has never hit more than 17 HR's in a season. If you want to count that as a victory and give no credit, then go for it.

You never said what was wrong with having 5 TV's in my basement. :-?

As for a wager, I was speaking of a friendly 1. I seem to remember that you said that Raffy would put up similar numbers to both Wes Helms and Scott Spiezio this year. Let's take a look, shall we:

Palmeiro
.255, 42 R, 14 HR, and 62 RBI.

Helms
.257, 18 R, 2 HR, and 20 RBI.

Spiezio
.206, 31 R, 9 HR, and 34 RBI.

Obviously, Palmeiro hasn't had a good year but he has still been a lot better than either of your examples. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong but you seem to have that problem. Like I said, you even PM'd me to remind me of our previous discussion.
Lofunzo

Postby NZF » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:19 am

If you read the original thread, even you should be able to understand that you were the one that got it wrong not me.

I said Palmiero should be rated well behind Huff and Thomas. I said he was in serious decline and that he would hit no more than 25 HR's this year. That was a huge call against someone that hadn't hit less than 38 for 9 straight seasons, as you took great pleasure in pointing out way back in March when I said it. Rememeber I said it. No one else said it. You rubbished that comment and said it was crazy talk. Well at this stage he is on target for 20 at best. And I'm the one that has to admit I'm wrong :-?

Again I will re-iterate what I said about Helms and Spiezio. When evaluating Palmiero's worth in fantasy terms this season, I said he would be no more valuable than Helms or Spiezio, based on their 2003 numbers and to put him down on your 1B rankings. Again I was rubbished to compare him this season to those guys numbers.

Let's have a look at them in 2003 compared to Raffy in 2004.

Helms AB's 476 Slg. 450 Ops .780 Runs 56 HR 23 RBI's 67
Spiezio AB's 521 Slg. 453 Ops. 779 Runs 69 HR 16 RBI's 83

Palmiero so far in 2004
AB's 381 Slg .407 Ops .763 Runs 42 HR 14 RBI's 62

Yep on second thoughts I am wrong. He's declined even more than I thought he would and is worse than those two, not slightly better as I predicted.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:24 am

If you looked at the whole picture, I said that Palmeiro would decline but not enough to slide down with your 2. We didn't talk about where they were drafted or where they ranked among hitters. I said that he would do better than those 2 and you said that he would be right there with them. If you can't see it, then I can't do anything for you. :-°

Are you a lawyer?? I don't see why you keep spinning things to go your way. You seem to want to get the last word in so I will let you (as long as it isn't crazy). You said that Spiezio or Helms would have just as good numbers as Palmeiro and that's not the case.
Lofunzo

Postby NZF » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:37 am

Lofunzo wrote:If you looked at the whole picture, I said that Palmeiro would decline but not enough to slide down with your 2.

Exactly. Well according to the numbers above, he has not only slipped down with those 2, he's slipped below what they did in 2003. I guess that makes me right and you wrong :-)

And on the issue of how Helms and Spiezio have gone this year in comparison to Palmiero, it would have been nice to be on a level playing field so we could see for sure. Helms in 2004 shouldn't enter into the equation for obvious reasons. Spiezio has been pretty much average his whole career, but this year he has given average a whole new meaning. I still say if he can see playing time anywhere near that of Palmiero, then he won't finish that far behind him in Hr's and that really is saying something. Incidentally, Spiezio's overall career numbers are remarkably similar to what Palmiero is producing this season.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers