Melvin Mora! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Melvin Mora!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Melvin Mora!

Postby bleach168 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:19 pm

Ok, who knew he was going to be THIS good? He has been a terrible hitter his whole career until last year, at age 31, he started off really hot. He then fizzled out by having a terrible July before succumbing to injury so I wrote him off.

This year, it's now August so you can't say total fluke, and Mora is ranked 3rd in the AL in OPS. His 8 steals are just icing on the cake.

Really, who saw this coming? It's players like these that come out of nowhere and ruin me in fantasy leagues.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:52 pm

Anyone who says they saw this type of year coming is either lying or is psychic. One or the other. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:05 pm

I didn't see it coming.. but I don't wanna see it go either. Hope it continues! Maggs is less missed with Mora producing like this. ;-D
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby recmccl » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:14 pm

I saw it happening, didn't you? Just kidding. Him and Vlad have carried me all year. Mora's even been better than Vlad lately. Unreal
recmccl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mark86 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:55 pm

I definitely didn't see this coming. He is a monster this year. He his hitting the ball all over the place. Oh, and my opponent had him this week. :~(
Mark86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KULCAT » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:24 am

Well i wanted to get him as a backup 3b with some potential. He had hit well in the first half of 2003 and i think his slump was more related to injuries. I thought he might do something similar to 2003 for a while and then cool down. I got him soon after his hamstring injury. I thought the time off was gonna help him get some rest to keep him hot in teh second half. Ive been very happy with the results. I never tought this guy was gonna hit like this
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thomasps3 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:49 am

How funny. This guy is probably Top-5 3B in the AL this year, and considering he gets 1/3 the hype of Chavez, ARod, and even Aubrey Huff, it's no wonder he flies right under the radar of so many owners. I picked him up in my AL only keeper league this year in a trade that all of the owners in the league thought I got taken on. I gave up Schilling for Mora/Sizemore(who was in the minors at the time)/ and Salmon. Now granted Salmon has been a total bust, but with Mora at $7, I've got my 3b position set for the next two years. Anyhow, thumbs up to Mel Mora!!!!!

;-D ;-D
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Pedantic » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:31 pm

thomasps3 wrote:Now granted Salmon has been a total bust, but with Mora at $7, I've got my 3b position set for the next two years. Anyhow, thumbs up to Mel Mora!!!!!

;-D ;-D

Assuming he keeps this up, of course. I curse the Podsedniks and Moras of the world. :-]
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:41 pm

i cant tell you how many trades i rejected involving mora because i didnt think he was for real. if i had accepted those trades he would suck right now.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby bleach168 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:31 pm

I guess being 3rd best hitter in the AL wasn't enough for Mora. He is now the #1 hitter, leading the league with a 1.036 OPS.

I feel sick.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers