Make a transition to Catcher... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Make a transition to Catcher...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Make a transition to Catcher...

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:36 am

and your fantasy value increases 10 fold. Look at Michael Barret. He catched for awhile in Montreal then got moved to 3rd for awhile, then bench, then back to catching. Catching for the Cubs he has become a pretty decent fantasy option behind home. So why not move Jason Werth, Robert Fick, Eli Marreo, and Josh Phelps??? All of them have experience at catcher. Aside from maybe Werth and on a good day Phelps, these guys are mediocre to say the most according to fantasy value. But put them behind the plate and you have the same fantays value as Craig Wilson this year. I've heard rumors about LA putting Werth at catcher considering he is the bullpen catcher when not playing in LA. If Piazza can catch so can they. Granted Piazza has gotten a million times better in recent years, but I'm sure they can do it. Somebody push for these guys to get some time behind the plate.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Make a transition to Catcher...

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:40 am

Havok1517 wrote:and your fantasy value increases 10 fold. Look at Michael Barret. He catched for awhile in Montreal then got moved to 3rd for awhile, then bench, then back to catching. Catching for the Cubs he has become a pretty decent fantasy option behind home. So why not move Jason Werth, Robert Fick, Eli Marreo, and Josh Phelps??? All of them have experience at catcher. Aside from maybe Werth and on a good day Phelps, these guys are mediocre to say the most according to fantasy value. But put them behind the plate and you have the same fantays value as Craig Wilson this year. I've heard rumors about LA putting Werth at catcher considering he is the bullpen catcher when not playing in LA. If Piazza can catch so can they. Granted Piazza has gotten a million times better in recent years, but I'm sure they can do it. Somebody push for these guys to get some time behind the plate.

I'll give Jim Tracy a call...
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Hey » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:54 am

Yeah, I talked to Tracy earlier today and told him that I need Jayson Werth's fantasy value to go up and he told me he would slide him in there so I can start using him on my fantasy team.
Hey. Go Mets!!
Hey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:18 am

YES!!! Why didn't anyone think of this before. We must all get in contact the MLB managers and tell them to move their scrub outfielders to catcher for fantasy baseball's sake!!!
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Bukoski77 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:27 am

Easy there fella's, lol. This is either a case of sarcasm from a relative cafe new member or a newbie statement.

For the record Havock1517, none of those players come anywhere close to the value of Craig Wilson this year, even if they are C eligible. The guys you mentioned dont come anywhere near the .280AVE 18HR 59RBI 64R 32Walks that C.Wilson has produced so far. Even fantasy teams that drafted C.Wilson as a sleeper 2nd catcher have made him a must start, aside from his recent slump, at DH or 1B throughout most of the year.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:01 am

Havok...there's a real good reason Fick, Marrero and Phelps turned in their catching equipment. They were horrid behind the plate.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pedantic » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:36 pm

thehat wrote:Havok...there's a real good reason Fick, Marrero and Phelps turned in their catching equipment. They were horrid behind the plate.

Actually, Marrero wasn't that bad of a catcher, to me anyway. He's caught 79 out of 207 basestealers in his career as a catcher, while not receiving regular time at catcher for a good deal of the time. While some of the other aspects of catching are somewhat harder to measure, he at least seems decent. Obviously, he'll never be a Pudge-type defensively, but not as horrible as Fick. Fick had 4 more passed balls in 78 games at catcher in 2001 than Marrero has had in 339 career games as a catcher. 8-o
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Arlo » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:14 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:YES!!! Why didn't anyone think of this before. We must all get in contact the MLB managers and tell them to move their scrub outfielders to catcher for fantasy baseball's sake!!!

We tried something like this a while back (I think we wanted Pujols to get in some games at third), but it didn't really work. :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:44 am

Haha, I realize not many people here have any major league contacts, but you never know who people know who cruises this forum. But if it helps me and my fantasy team, it's all good. I'm not really that new here but with all the guys I mentioned I do believe with proper coaching, there is no reason for them not to be able to succeed as a catcher. Maybe not starting at a major league level, send em down to get their reps in the minors. I do believe Phelps and Werth have the ability and power to match Craig Wilson's fantasy value this year. And in case nobody else noticed as things go now, Wilson will not be C eligible next year. I actually hear Werth is a decent catcher and who is standing in his way? David Ross and Brent Mayne. Like I said, if Piazza can do it, why can''t they.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)

Postby LBJackal » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:31 am

Bukoski77 wrote:Easy there fella's, lol. This is either a case of sarcasm from a relative cafe new member or a newbie statement.

For the record Havock1517, none of those players come anywhere close to the value of Craig Wilson this year, even if they are C eligible. The guys you mentioned dont come anywhere near the .280AVE 18HR 59RBI 64R 32Walks that C.Wilson has produced so far. Even fantasy teams that drafted C.Wilson as a sleeper 2nd catcher have made him a must start, aside from his recent slump, at DH or 1B throughout most of the year.

Craig Wilson had a great start to the year......... but there's no doubt I'd take Werth over him now, if he played catcher. Not that it matters........ although LA could use a catcher other than Ross :-?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers