Pete Rose -- HOF - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Pete Rose -- HOF

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pete Rose -- HOF

Postby Amnorix » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:03 pm

Can anyone give me an intelligible reason why Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame?

I mean:

1. he bet on baseball
2. he bet on his own team
3. it's a MLB rule that that results in being banned for life
4. this rule is posted on the wall of every clubhouse in MLB.

I just don't see what's hard about this. He did the crime, and now he has to do the time. Ya, he was a great player -- probably did more with the limited gifts God gave him than any player in baseball. But that's just not relevant. What am I missing?
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yankee715 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:54 pm

Uh, lets see 4,256 hits might be an intelligible reason.
Yankee715
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amnorix » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:57 pm

Yankee -- putting aside the betting issue, of course the guy is a first ballot HOF. What I'm wondering is why we should set aside a perfectly sensible rule, that was in place during his entire career as player and manager, just for him?

Baseball is bigger than Pete Rose and his gambling ways. I think it sends a bad message to forgive what is essentially the ultimate crime -- betting on your own team. That affects the way you play or manage. If baseball loses its integrity, then it has absolutely nothing. That's why Kenesaw Mountain Landis imposed the death penalty back in the 20s, and that's why Rose is banned for life.
Amnorix

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hayseed » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:52 am

i agree, it doesnt matter how good the guy was... he did this knowing that it was not allowed and he knew the penalty.. he got caught.. know its time to pay up which means no HOF for him.. simple really IMO
hayseed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mustang50 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:07 pm

Being one of the most argued subjects in baseball, this is a tough issue to decide. But rules are rules. If Rose can break a rule then why can't Bonds just start betting on all of San Fran's games. I mean if he's gonna make it to the HOF anyway what's it matter if he starts to bet? If they aren't going to stick to this rule, then it should be banned. ;-7
mustang50
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Amnorix » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:28 pm

Mustang -- that's exactly right. What I don't get is WHY this is one of the most argued subjects in baseball. I think I"m pretty good at seeing "the other side of the coin" about 99% of the coin, but I just can't see any "good" argument for Rose on this one.

Besides, your example of Bonds might not hold water -- the only reason Rose has ANY shot at the HOF is because he was an incredibly popular player, both with fans and teammates. That's not true of Bonds. Why popular players should have a separate set of rules, I can't image.
Amnorix

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mustang50 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:43 pm

Yeah, I can understand why its an aruged subject because Rose should deserve to go based on his playing skills but based on his actions off the field he obviously doesn't deseve to go. But as I previously stated, a rule is a rule, therefore he shouldn't be inducted. B-)
mustang50
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Just another view, fellas ...

Postby Oat Soda » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:59 am

Look, I've already had a somewhat heated run-in with Amnorix on this board (which was quite amicable, I'm very pleased to say), so I'm offering this as simple point (regardless of how I feel):

How about if Pete is banned from the everyday day-to-day operation of anything that has to do with baseball? It has nothing to do with the game. The SOB is banned and everybody's happy, right? Just let him in the Hall.

But that's all he cares about, so I say keep him out. He'll be remembered anyway, just like Shoeless Joe and Cicotte and all those other 1919 bums.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amnorix » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:08 am

Oat Soda -- that might not be bad. It's at least better than the "wecome him back with open arms" approach that some seem to advocate. There's probably a bit of a logic/consistency gap in doing that, but it's at least worth considering.
Amnorix

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:24 am

Without wanting to defend Rose in the slightest, part of the trouble with this decision is that Rose isn't the only one being punished - in a certain sense, the fans and the Hall's visitors are too...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk