hairston vs. Roberts (again) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

hairston vs. Roberts (again)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

hairston vs. Roberts (again)

Postby stumpak » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:16 pm

Any opinions on what the long-term resolution is here? I think its pretty clear that Hairston is a better hitter, better OBP, etc. Not sure of Roberts has a defensive advantage. However, with Gibbons coming back, I think it is decision time for the O's pretty soon.

I ask this becasue I am about to move Chad Cordero for Hairston. It's a keeper league, but I need steals and Avg now, not saves. So I am interested in whether or not Hairston will get regualr PT this season as the OF becomes more crowded, and whether he will bump out Roberts at 2B over the off-season.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:26 pm

My guess would be that the O's stick with Roberts at 2nd, and I would recommend you do too. Roberts has been hitting better than Hairston over the last month, and, more importantly for your needs, has been stealing more bases too:

Code: Select all
Player   Runs    HRs    RBI   SB   BA

Roberts   14      0      5     4  .281

Hairston   7      1      4     1  .272

I don't follow the Orioles much at all, so don't have any other insight to offer. Perhaps someone closer to the situation might be able to tell you more about who will get the ABs for the rest of the season.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bell » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:10 pm

Unless you're in a deep league, Hairston is a borderline FA. Playing time over the next month shouldn't be a problem since he's playing CF. He's had one SB in the past month.

I would hold onto Cordero if I was you.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AKhomebrewer » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:15 pm

Hairston yesterday stole his first base since June. Perhaps that was because of a litany of little niggling injuries (strained hammy, ran into a wall, fouled a ball off his knee, etc), but it's unclear whether that marks a return to his old running game.
He'll continue to play, but mostly as CF and DH ... Roberts is the 2b for the rest of this season.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby G-Man » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:51 pm

now that matos is shelved for the remainder of the year, hairston is going to be a staple in the OF (primarily center). Gibbons is going to gradually work back into the starting job in right, pushing the horrific karummy garcia back to the bench where he belongs.

In terms of value over the rest of the year, mazilli seems very committed to b-rob as his leadoff guy (intermittent lineup changes last for only a day with him) and he is going to remain aggressive on the basepaths since the O's have nothing to play for but pride. I personally like roberts over hairston, only for the SB's....if you want a more consistent OBP guy then hairston is absoutely your guy but he is not going to run as much, particularly because he is entrenched in the bottom half of the lineup.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby warrick95 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:07 pm

Actually, Mazzilli's still been playing around with it. He seems unsure whether to go with the guy who runs better, but also hits for a low average (though he has a marginally good OBP and fouls off many pitches), or to the man who's been hitting better this season (with less speed). Check out the game logs...Hairston was given a short leadoff stint. If Roberts struggles, look for Jerry.

Objectively, I'd rather have Chad Cordero. By a decent margin, too. In addition, Roberts won't give you AVG. Hairston may give you both, but isn't the greatest basestealer. His average is decent, but certainly not the best. Can you swing a deal or something?
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers