Managers/Coaches contribution to winning. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Managers/Coaches contribution to winning.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who has the most impact on wins?

Baseball managers
No votes
Football Coaches
88%
Basketball Coaches
13%
Hockey Coaches
No votes

Total votes : 16

Postby Amazinz » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:55 pm

Super GM wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Super GM wrote:My vote goes to Basketball coaches (Larry Brown)
Is that some kinda German joke?

Nope! O:-)

Shouldn't that be Nie! :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Super GM » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:01 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Super GM wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Super GM wrote:My vote goes to Basketball coaches (Larry Brown)
Is that some kinda German joke?

Nope! O:-)

Shouldn't that be Nie! :-b

That would mean never. No in

German = Nein.
Russian = Niet
French = Non
English = No
Polish = Niet
Austrian = Nein
Swiss = Nein/Non (In Switzerland they speak German and French)
Spanish = No (?)
Itailan = No

That's all I can think of. :-b

The reason I said Larry Brown is because I have a lot of respect for what he accomplished in Detroit with mediocre players....Basketball isn't just about managing 12 guys. just like in football it's all about tactics. My vote stays with Basketball! ;-D :-)
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:04 pm

Maybe Detroit didn't have the stars that the Lakers did but I wouldn't say that Detroit had mediocre players.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Super GM » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:06 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Maybe Detroit didn't have the stars that the Lakers did but I wouldn't say that Detroit had mediocre players.
Compared to the Lakers they had a bunch of amateurs! :-b Ok, maybe not amateurs, but still no where near that All-Star caliber team that the Lakers put on the court.....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:08 pm

Super GM wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Maybe Detroit didn't have the stars that the Lakers did but I wouldn't say that Detroit had mediocre players.
Compared to the Lakers they had a bunch of amateurs! :-b Ok, maybe not amateurs, but still no where near that All-Star caliber team that the Lakers put on the court.....

The Lakers had the 2 best players on the court but Detroit had 3-7. That was the difference. Brown did a great job but managing 12 is a lot easier than managing 45.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:09 pm

Football Coaches call plays....there are no plays in Basketball, Hockey or Baseball. Sure there are some situation plays like an inbound play or pickoff play...but not like in football. I do not consider running sets like in basketball a football play. In a basketball set everything about it is optional and open to interpretation, not like football.

Sure coach decides what strategy to play and what not, but they do not stop every play like in football to see what the coach wants them to do like in Football.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Super GM » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:12 pm

BigMusky wrote:Football Coaches call plays....there are no plays in Basketball, Hockey or Baseball. Sure there are some situation plays like an inbound play or pickoff play...but not like in football. I do not consider running sets like in basketball a football play. In a basketball set everything about it is optional and open to interpretation, not like football.

Sure coach decides what strategy to play and what not, but they do not stop every play like in football to see what the coach wants them to do like in Football.

Of course there are plays in Basketball!! I'm sure you've heard of the "Pick-and-roll", "Triangle-offense"(created by Phil Jackson) and such......

*The GM walks away a little irritaded*
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:16 pm

Super GM wrote:
BigMusky wrote:Football Coaches call plays....there are no plays in Basketball, Hockey or Baseball. Sure there are some situation plays like an inbound play or pickoff play...but not like in football. I do not consider running sets like in basketball a football play. In a basketball set everything about it is optional and open to interpretation, not like football.

Of course there are plays in Basketball!! I'm sure you've heard of the "Pick-and-roll", "Triangle-offense"(created by Phil Jackson) and such......

*The GM walks away a little irritaded*

Let me clarify BM's statement by saying that there are less plays called in the NBA and a lot more freelancing.
Lofunzo

Postby Amazinz » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:18 pm

There are a lot of plays in hockey and basketball. A lot more in hockey especially which is why I'd agree with Lofunzo about hockey coaches. Although I'd rank them #2 behind football coaches. The plays are harder to see because they unfold so much faster.

Super, yeah you're grammatically correct about Nie and Nein but Nie is also slang for no.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Super GM » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:19 pm

This is a ridiculous discussion we're having here. Can't we just agree that plays are called in Basketball and Football and that they are both equally important? In the end the coach decides which play is to be played.....Football or Basketball......IMO
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk