When is Hudson coming back? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When is Hudson coming back?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortsavage » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:40 pm

KolbSaves wrote:
rotoworld wrote:Tim Hudson is now scheduled to come off the DL and start Saturday against the Twins.
Hudson's return was pushed back a couple of days because he wasn't as effective as hoped in his rehab start. Barry Zito will start Thursday.

I went to watch his last start in AAA Sacramento. His control was off. He did not look dazzling at all. However, it should be noted that Huddy is not quite as affective against lefties and almost every Redhawk was batting from the left side last Saturday. Still, he was so inneffective that the Rivercats did not even allow him to max out on his pitch count :-o .
Last edited by shortsavage on Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:09 am

mikey wrote:
BobbyRoberto wrote:I think he's going up against Johan Santana on Saturday, so I'd sit him in that case. I have both and don't have the option of sitting Hudson, but if I could, I would.

You're right -- he's going up against Santana. I can't see starting him now.

People put way too much importance on who the opposing pitcher is. The ONLY thing the opposing pitcher can impact is wins. The opposing hitters are what should be considered and not the pitcher. For example, would you sit Hudson vs Ariz because the opposing pitcher is RJ? Of course not- look at the hitters, thats what counts.

I'm going to let Hudson sit a start, but thats only because my staff has been perfectly fine without him. So if you need a start, I'd go with him, but if you can afford to not start him I wouldn't start him (but not because Santana is the opposing pitcher, only because he's coming off an injury).
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby shortsavage » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:20 am

blankman wrote:The ONLY thing the opposing pitcher can impact is wins.

There is a little AL favortism. Obviously, you have not seen guys like Mike Hampton, Livan Hernandez and Russ Ortiz with a bat enough ;-) .
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:18 pm

blankman wrote:
mikey wrote:
BobbyRoberto wrote:I think he's going up against Johan Santana on Saturday, so I'd sit him in that case. I have both and don't have the option of sitting Hudson, but if I could, I would.

You're right -- he's going up against Santana. I can't see starting him now.

People put way too much importance on who the opposing pitcher is. The ONLY thing the opposing pitcher can impact is wins. The opposing hitters are what should be considered and not the pitcher. For example, would you sit Hudson vs Ariz because the opposing pitcher is RJ? Of course not- look at the hitters, thats what counts.

You mght be right as a general matter, but when you have a guy coming off the DL, who is admittedly rusty and is having control problems, the only reason you would trot him out is to maybe get the win. If he's going to adversely affect your ERA, WHIP and you're not going to get the win, you're basically playing for K's, and that being the case, it's just not worth it this weekend with Hudson.
mikey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers