Rickie Weeks...where are you?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rickie Weeks...where are you?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rickie Weeks...where are you?!

Postby shortsavage » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:22 pm

Rickie Weeks hit .500 his Senior year at Southern University, racking up an OPS of 1606 along the way 8-o . He then went on to hit .349 with an OPS of 1050 in 63 major league A ball at bats.

Now, Rickie is hitting .253 with an OPS of 753 in AA Huntsville. He was expected to have a bit of trouble essentially skipping a season of A ball and going straight to AA, but did anyone expect him to stuggle this much?! He was even supposed to get an extended look as a starter in Spring Training! At this rate, I do not think he will have a chance of opening up 2005 as the Brewers starting 2b.

Here he is more than half way through the season and I do not think that he has had a single hot streak. He has also only stolen eight bags while being caught eleven times. Throw in a 43/80 K/BB ratio and things do not look very pretty if you were expecting a slick hitting speedster. Rickie only struck out 17 times while walking 46 times in his senior year in college.

The only promising numbers that I can pull from his stat line are that 36% of his hits have been extra base hits (most of them doubles) and he has managed to get on base a ton via the walk (43) and hit by pitch (24).

If you are banking on Weeks as your starting 2b for 2005 in a keeper league, you may want to seriously look into a backup option. Only an amazing stint in the Arizona fall league is going to repaint Weeks in the horizon for 2005 fantasy leagues.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rico The Retard » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:27 pm

ya i think he shouldve stayed in A ball
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:34 pm

looking more like a 2007 debut as the opening day second baseman for the brewers...............
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:34 pm

They decided to challenge him in AA ball, right now it isn't looking like it was the best decision. Most all college players drafted start in either Low or High A in their first full season, then work themselves up. Whether this was the right decision can probably only be determined to see how he reacts at the end of this year / next year.

For what it is worth he has had hot streaks, the beginning of the year he was hitting over .300 for the first month. Then he hit a big wall and started struggling, his avg. this year has dropped down into the .230's I believe. But he seems to have good spurts followed by bad ones lately. Recently he brought his avg. up from .240 to around .270, but as you can tell he has followed that with a slump to get it back in the mid .250 range.

I think he still has the talent to become a very good hitting 2B, but right now he seems to be still adjusting to pro ball. I expect next year that he will put this behind him and start living up to his potential. He has great mental make up and will work hard to get better.

About the steals or lack there of, he has been somewhat troubled by a few minor leg injuries this year.

2007? He would have to repeat AA for all of next year and then stay at AAA all of 2006, I just don't see that happening.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers