Bucky Jacobsen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bucky Jacobsen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bucky Jacobsen

Postby warbird1 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:33 pm

Is he worth owning? I hear is going to split time at DH due to injury? Anyone heard anything about him?

Thanks
Win Twins
warbird1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BobbyRoberto » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:26 am

He had a monster year in AAA and has hit great since coming up. He's currently at .321/.424/.661 and has 6 HR, 12 RBI in 56 at-bats. He's been playing regularly but word in Seattle is that he can't play first very often because of a lingering leg problem. In today's paper, Melvin was quoted as saying Bucky could only play 1B maybe once a week. Now there's talk of having Edgar Martinez try playing 1B so that he can get some at-bats and Bucky can still get his. As long as Bucky keeps on hitting, they should be able to find a spot for him in the lineup. One warning sign, though, is that he's struck out 19 times in 56 at-bats.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Bloody Nipples » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:48 pm

I am considering picking him up. I am convinced about his power, but I also could use some average help. He is hitting .320 now, but will that change over the course of the rest of the year? Those Ks do worry me, too.

What was his average in AAA?
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BGbootha » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:01 pm

i picked him up in one of my dynasty leagues. along with a deep redraft league.

I really like him on my dynasty should take over the DH role is able to play the field come interdivision time. Has the AAA numbers to be legit and if you have seen the guy he is a monster. Very MCGwire built..

As far as the redraft goes. I don't really start him that often. Have spot started him when i see him playing a pitcher or in a park that i might like but thats abotu all.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BobbyRoberto » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:23 pm

Bucky Jacobsen, minor league stats:

1997 Pioneer League--.328/.427/.517
1998 Midwest League--.293/.399/.521
1999 California League--.250/.352/.397
1999 Southern League--.193/.292/.307
2000 Southern League--.276/.394/.530
2001 Southern League--.441/.518/.860
2001 International League--.247/.313/.433
2002 Southern League--.253/.336/.485
2002 Eastern League--.294/.360/.520
2003 Southern League--.298/.388/.564
2004 Pacific Coast League--.312/.422/661

For the most part, he's been ripping it up in the minor leagues since 2001 (great OBP and SLG).
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby jbones733 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:09 pm

i picked up a few weeks ago in my 14 teanm league, & recently inserted him into my lineup, He has alot of pop, i dont think hell hit for good average, but can get you anywhere from a homer to 4 a week, ill take it ;-)
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Bloody Nipples » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:34 pm

I am playing him over Overbay after I picked him up today. Those 7 (?) HRs in 75 ABs have really shown me something. THanks for those minor league stats. They help a ton. I am guessing that, based on those, he hits for .280 the rest of the way. Thats not bad considering the power he should bring to your lineup. My only question is whether he will get playing time or not. He has started consistently over the past month or so, so I am guessing that he will. Any seatle fans out there know the answer to the playing time question? Oh, and how old is he?
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:41 pm

He'll be 29 on August 30, so he's no spring chicken. As for playing time, it's a question mark. The news here in Seattle is that he's not likely to play everyday at 1B because of his knees, so DH is the ideal spot for him, but Edgar Martinez is going to retire at the end of the year, so they still want to give Edgar a good sending-off, and let him play some. Last night, Edgar was the DH and Bucky played 1B. Manager Bob Melvin has even suggested that Edgar might play a bit at 1B if Bucky's knees don't allow him to play their full-time. They're going to try as much as possible to keep his bat in the lineup but Edgar's presence makes it tougher.
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Bloody Nipples » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:44 pm

BobbyRoberto wrote:He'll be 29 on August 30, so he's no spring chicken. As for playing time, it's a question mark. The news here in Seattle is that he's not likely to play everyday at 1B because of his knees, so DH is the ideal spot for him, but Edgar Martinez is going to retire at the end of the year, so they still want to give Edgar a good sending-off, and let him play some. Last night, Edgar was the DH and Bucky played 1B. Manager Bob Melvin has even suggested that Edgar might play a bit at 1B if Bucky's knees don't allow him to play their full-time. They're going to try as much as possible to keep his bat in the lineup but Edgar's presence makes it tougher.

thanks.

BTW, is that you in your avatar?
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:52 pm

Hahaha, nope. It's just a picture I found on some web site and it's just such a nice, perfectly-shaped, totally-squeezable ass, I had to use it.
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers