Tradng Draft Picks in a Non-Keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tradng Draft Picks in a Non-Keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shpuck » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:27 am

KolbSaves wrote:I would equate it to you trading Chavez for a medium cheese pizza and a pack of becks.

Come on Kolb, Chavez is worth AT LEAST a pepperoni and cheese pizza. You must be a difficult manager to trade with ;-D

To the topic! Trading for picks for the next year in a non-keeper league is NOT a cool thing to do. The reasons have already been stated, so I won't rehash it.

Start off fresh next year, and start your season with the intention it is a keeper league. Then feel free to trade for draft picks. It's called building for the future.

With regards to ocmusic...Trading for picks doesn't give any team an unfair advantage. The team getting the player is playing for the now and most likely making a playoff push. The team getting the early draft pick, gets an extra strong player (or two) for the next season. If players decide to tank a season for the present or the future, that should be their decision. I don't see how it can be unethical.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikemcj55 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:22 am

Thanks guy, we can let it die now, there were some very valid points raised here, so thanks to everyone for answering.
I went ahead and asked the commish to veto the deal, so its dead.

However, i'm still not sure as to why it is unethical to trade for draft picks in a keeper league?? Everyone will be back from year to year, and the point of a keeper is it allows you to act make deals for both long-term and the present. To ban trading draft picks (mind you, I'm talking a keeper league now) seems like a case of excessive paternalism to me. But that's just MO. Any others?
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:05 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:Trading future prospects or draft picks in a keeper league for current talent is NOT an ethical move. This is why:

Say there is a 10 team league. The top five teams all offer draft picks and future talent (guys like Upton, Harden, ect...) for older guys putting up numbers (Randy, Clemens, Bonds..). The top five teams are now all super-teams for this year, which will REALLY screw up stuff, especially in a head-to-head format. In the mean while, the bottom five teams now hold all of next year's draft picks and prospects. So basically, those five teams should dominate next season, and THIS year's top teams are going to get crushed. This is a sure recipe for an unbalanced league.

So long as your team has agreed upon a trading deadline, circulating draft picks is fine. Tons of fantasy leagues make trades like this. You may want to rethink your logic ocmusicjunkie. The cellar teams should be able to trade aging talent for draft picks, it will make them better. The top teams should be able to aquire veteran help, it will make their playoff runs more exciting. This tactic is huge in major league sports. It is fun and reasonable to have the same procedure arise in fantasy sports.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby great gretzky » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:41 pm

it is called a redraft league for a reason.

How can you trade what you don't even know what you have? the pick order is random that year.

I would quit a league like this, as there is not a keeper element to it, therefore this year's decisions shouldn't effect it.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers