Tradng Draft Picks in a Non-Keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tradng Draft Picks in a Non-Keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tradng Draft Picks in a Non-Keeper

Postby mikemcj55 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:05 pm

Hey guys
I have an opinion queston for you all. I am currently playing in a non-keeper league, with everyone pretty active, based on the assumption that we'll mostly be back next year to play in a keeper league. Obviously, we don't have the ability to trade this year's players for draft picks in the yahoo system, but we're all friends, so we can be trusted on that regard.
I just made a deal with a buddy of mine
I trade Chavez
I get a 3rd rounder for next year and Hinske

The detals of the deal are irrelevant, but is this a fantasy baseball no-no? You don't hear a lot about it on the cafe, trading players for draft picks. I don't think anyone else had given it a thought it our league, so I expect an uproar. I figure it allows bottom dwellers to think about next year, while giving teams at the top that next push.

Was this deal ok or did I break some sort of unwritten rule?
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:20 pm

I would say it's not o.k. because this year isn't part of the keeper structure so you can't trade keeper commodities like draft picks. I would equate it to you trading Chavez for a medium cheese pizza and a pack of becks.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:23 pm

Its pretty bad form IMO. Non-keeper leagues usually run under the assumption that things do not carry over from year to year and each owner gets to start out fresh and everyone will start out on even ground. If the other owners don't have a problem with it then it is not an issue though.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:28 pm

That trade is probably one of the most illogical fantasy maneuvers that I have ever seen :-S .

If it does not cause an uproar in your league, something is wrong with your friends %-6 .

I would step in and void it before you offend the intelligence of your league-mates :-o .
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby dannahann » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:08 pm

KolbSaves wrote:I would say it's not o.k. because this year isn't part of the keeper structure so you can't trade keeper commodities like draft picks.

EXACTLY those picks are NOT part of this years league. As for breaking an unwritten rule? ... Yes and you likely broke a written rule or two as well :-D

I say nix your deal but put it to good use. You and friends are embarking in a new keeper league. Your deal is a stellar example to all on why it's worth the effort to make your rules as locktight as possible. Longstanding leagues are founded on well written rules. ;-D
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby BigLebowski » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:33 pm

I agree...you should nix the deal before it causes an uproar. In a non-keeper next years picks are not at play and can't be used in the trade process. As said before it is like you giving him Chavez for Hinske and 10% of his winnings.
:-t
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:17 pm

Trading future prospects or draft picks in a keeper league for current talent is NOT an ethical move. This is why:

Say there is a 10 team league. The top five teams all offer draft picks and future talent (guys like Upton, Harden, ect...) for older guys putting up numbers (Randy, Clemens, Bonds..). The top five teams are now all super-teams for this year, which will REALLY screw up stuff, especially in a head-to-head format. In the mean while, the bottom five teams now hold all of next year's draft picks and prospects. So basically, those five teams should dominate next season, and THIS year's top teams are going to get crushed. This is a sure recipe for an unbalanced league.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:19 pm

Just re-read the topic.

In a non-keeper its even worse. :-o
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:11 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:Trading future prospects or draft picks in a keeper league for current talent is NOT an ethical move. This is why:

Say there is a 10 team league. The top five teams all offer draft picks and future talent (guys like Upton, Harden, ect...) for older guys putting up numbers (Randy, Clemens, Bonds..). The top five teams are now all super-teams for this year, which will REALLY screw up stuff, especially in a head-to-head format. In the mean while, the bottom five teams now hold all of next year's draft picks and prospects. So basically, those five teams should dominate next season, and THIS year's top teams are going to get crushed. This is a sure recipe for an unbalanced league.

A lot depends on how many players are kept. In a dynasty or other league with a high number of keepers I completely disagree about trading picks to be unethical. If I were to pick players I would want for next year I would take Bonds, RJ, Clemens over any of the big prospects. Prospects are just that, there is no guarentee they will produce especially within a small timeframe like one year.

Trading for prospects and picks for the next year is pretty close to mimicking what real GMs must go through when building a team. You can take your chances by building with young players or go with older established stars and try to get a couple more years of excellence out of them. Both methods can work and both methods have ways to go real wrong. I don't see how it is unethical though.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby thehat » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:25 am

I don't like the idea since this is a non-keeper league now. But even assuming this leaue becomes a keeper, this deal is ridiculous. How many players will each team keep? Just for the sake of argument, let's say it's five. If that's the case, your third round pick is actually an eight round pick at the start of the new season (the first five rounds will in effect be the players kept).

So, what amounts to Hinske and an 8th rounder for Chavez? No.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers