Is Spot-Starting Multiple Pitchers Unethical? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Spot-Starting Multiple Pitchers Unethical?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ondeckb » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:02 pm

I usually enjoy picking up their "drops" when they add their spot starters! :-B
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:39 pm

adding and drop players just to put them on waivers IS against yahoo rules.

I think inning or start limits limit that just nicely. besides though, its not as if there isn't a drawback to doing this.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby MadMobius » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:21 pm

Then I meant, I just couldn't make up my mind. First I picked up this guy, then I saw the start this guy was going to have and then what do you know, I ran across this other guy... I didn't mean to add and drop just to put them on waivers ;-)
---Lincecum---------Gallardo------Santana-----------Peavy---

Props to "The_Show" for my sig...
MadMobius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Kelly Gruber » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:41 pm

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this strategy and commend anybody that successfully executes it.

I am in a 7-person points pool where ERA and WHIP don't matter (only wins, K's, and losses count against). What I've done for the past 2 years is draft or trade away 1-less pitcher than is necessary to remain at about even for innings. That way, come August, when I need a little extra to volt me into the lead or smash any hopes of someone catching me, I use my saved up innings by picking up good starters with favourable matchups. It is fun and I always look forward to August and September so that I can finally employ this strategy. Heck, last year I picked up R.A. Dickey 2-days before his start against Detroit. What did he do? Pick up the save (the closer was resting, or something like that) and then the next day tossed a CG SHO!

The ones who complain about this strategy and others like it (a move that is not illegal and can be employed by any other interested managers) should not be playing fantasy sports. Let me guess, you guys are usaully the ones that finish 2nd or 3rd or 4th and look back and find some excuse why you didn't win.

Lose, suck it up, then win the next year, but don't make excuses and complain about your shortcomings...
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:56 pm

I drafted a team in a money league solely attempting to employ this strategy.

Then, I read the threads here about the issue and agree that it's morally incorrect to an extent, because it doesn't really seem fair to other managers. There are multiple ways to fend against it. One manager in a matchup with me attempted to get to pitchers faster than me...I was still able to beat him 6-4.

Anyway, the other managers have no beef against me for doing so. I don't feel really right about it, though, and have decided to donate my probable winnings (comfortably in 2nd place, close to 1st) to St. Jude's, because of close sentimental value I have with leukemia. It doesn't exactly right a wrong, but it makes it a bit better, in my opinion.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Izzy Alcantara » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:00 pm

I really just don't understand what the problem with spot starting is. In most leagues, it will help you sometimes and hurt you sometimes. It is a strategic gamble, and having it as an available tool makes the game more interesting.
Izzy Alcantara
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:29 pm

In a public league or any league where you don't really know the others, do whatever you want, because if you don't, they might do it to you. However, I only play in private keeper leagues, and we all agree upon rules to make spot starting much more difficult to do, and it is completely done away with in the playoffs. If you're playing with the same people in a league from year to year, you have to decide upon yourselves what is "ethical" and what isn't. Also, for some leagues, the rules are configured to where spot starting is more of a gamble than a benefit, but in Yahoo default setup, it tends to be more beneficial than harmful to spot start.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chuckles » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:02 pm

My leagues have an IP limit and I fell behind in my innings in one league. In this case I see nothing wrong with spot starting. As mentioned earlier, even if it's a good matchup it quite often blows up in my face anyway...it's a way for me to catch up with my innings. I couldn't be in a league that had no limit on IP though... just my opinion but I don't like that-that just opens the door for obnoxious spot starts!!!
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers