Thoughts on Red Sox trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Red Sox trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Red Sox trade

Postby ssuciu » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:48 am

I just wanted to say that there are some people in Boston that are actually happy to see Nomar leave. You can say that the events over A-rod in the winter set things in motion, but the fact is that Nomar did't want to be in Boston anymore, and his presence was a cancer to this red sox team. Since the beginning of this season, Nomar has not only had an achilles heal injury, he has been the achilles heal.
Now they have improved their defense, but more importantly, they have guys who will be excited to perform in front of the great crowd at Fenway. Seriously, was I the only one that was embarrassed when Nomar is sitting on the bench at Yankee stadium, pissed off that he's not getting 20 million a year or whatever he eventually wanted, while Jeter is putting his face into a seat.
Hopefully some of these moves will improve the team as ESPN.com says they will. I just don't understand the logic in holding onto a player that doesn't want to be there. Honor what Nomar did in Boston while he was in Boston, but don't hold onto false hopes that he would have ever been able to remain in Boston after this year, and that the management, whether it was the "right" trade or not, made the correct decision in making any trade to improve.

Btw, I am a red sox fan, but I can laugh at a good red sox-yankees joke every once in a while, and I heard on the radio the other day that describing the red sox/yankees rivalry is like describing the rivalry between a whale and plankton.
ssuciu
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby JRM4833 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:11 pm

I understand what you are saying, but I am just not going to be happy that he is gone. Hopefully management made the right decision, but I simply liked Nomar. Obviously he has gotten on a lot of people's nerves this season, including mine. but I have always considered him a leader on this team, whether he wanted that position or not. I like the idea of getting players who have more enthusiasm for playing in Boston, but that enthusiasm alone is not enough to make us a better team.
I can live without Nomar on the Sox, but I do think they sent him away for less than they could have gotten. All I can do is put faith in Theo. He has made great moves since he arrived and hopefully this works out as well. I guess maybe I just wanted pitching, which the Cubs have a ton of. And by the way, I can appreciate a good joke, but that was far from a good joke.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Surfs up » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:46 pm

I think Nomar missed the boat when he turned down a contract of four years at 50 million if my memory is correct? He wanted to stay in Boston until his feeling got hurt when the Arod deal came up. He was never the same after that. I am not a Red Sox fan but until this year I used to think Nomar was one of the few players left that played "For the love of the game". Man was I wrong. Alan Trammell used to shake hands at contract time and the deal was done. He said he was doing something he loved and was making more money then he ever imagined. Those days are long gone.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 200)

Postby thehat » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:11 pm

[quote="JRM4833"] but I have always considered him a leader on this team

There's part of the reason he fell into disfavor...even at his on field acme, Nomar was never a leader within the team. Nomar has never been "one of the guys."

I know it's heresy for a devoted Red Sox fan to say this, but it's Nomar's complete lack of leadership that always had me wishing that he and Jeter could have traded uniforms. Garciaparra was the better player at his peak, but Jeter has always been a far better team guy.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers