Boston Globe kicks dirt in Nomar's face as he leaves Boston - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Boston Globe kicks dirt in Nomar's face as he leaves Boston

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thehat » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:03 pm

Let's face facts. Nomar wanted out in the worst way ever since the first A-Rod talks were made public. And those talks didn't come about till Nomar refused a huge new contract and indicated he would test the FA marketplace. His attitude has been awful this season. There's simply no denying this.

On the flip side, the media fallout now taking place is simply piling on, as Garciaparra is now an easy target. That said, this was inevitable. Nomar has always been great with fans, but has never been comfortable with the media, nor has he ever been considered a great clubhouse guy...not even when he was at his zenith as a player.

Not an excuse for the dirt kicking that will now take place...my attitude is that if you can't say it to the guy's face (print it) while he's around, doing it after his departure is spineless.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:16 pm

yeah, im sure Nomar was gonna tank the season with free agency looming over the winter ;-)

boston tried to to get A-rod to spite the yankees, and in doing so, they spit in Nomar's face. i dont blame him for doing what he did. The Boston media is notoriously ruthless and Nomar was sick of it. i dont blame the guy for wanting out of boston. he may have put the sox in a bad trading position, but what he did was no more classless than their blatant disregard for him during the A-Rod dealings.
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:31 pm

Hopefully Nomar doesn't get the same treatment from cubs fans as Sammy does. Seems like if he strikes out or grounds out in just 1 at bat, the boos come. I mean come on, he can't get a hit every friggin at bat? If you listen to the Score here in Chicagoland, you may have heard that Mike North (idiot) suggested that they start Todd Hollandsworth over Sosa when Sosa had just came back. He also suggested that the Cubs had made a mistake in getting Derek Lee and said that Hee Sop Choi would end up better. Oops. Also you get these idiot callers who say they should get rid of Sammy because he botched one ball after making 2 spectacular diving catches. If he makes one mistake or gets an out, everybody forgets what he has done for the Cubs. So lets hope Nomar doesn't get the same treatment.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BoSox4life » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:08 pm

tlef316 wrote:yeah, im sure Nomar was gonna tank the season with free agency looming over the winter ;-)

boston tried to to get A-rod to spite the yankees, and in doing so, they spit in Nomar's face. i dont blame him for doing what he did. The Boston media is notoriously ruthless and Nomar was sick of it. i dont blame the guy for wanting out of boston. he may have put the sox in a bad trading position, but what he did was no more classless than their blatant disregard for him during the A-Rod dealings.

Wow, your not making any sense...did you remember that he was offered an extension and turned it down??? I think it was 60 million over 4 years?...what the hell is wrong with that? If he had excepted it then we wouldn't even be discussing this. I don't see anything wrong with going after the best player in baseball (man I hate to say that) because your star player turned down a very fair offer.
All I want out of life, is that when I walk down the street folks will say, "There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived."
--Ted Williams
BoSox4life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tlef316 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:17 pm

BoSox4life wrote:
tlef316 wrote:yeah, im sure Nomar was gonna tank the season with free agency looming over the winter ;-)

Wow, your not making any sense...did you remember that he was offered an extension and turned it down??? I think it was 60 million over 4 years?...what the hell is wrong with that? If he had excepted it then we wouldn't even be discussing this. I don't see anything wrong with going after the best player in baseball (man I hate to say that) because your star player turned down a very fair offer.

wow, just becuase the guy turns down extention doesnt give a team the right to make such a big deal about the A-rod dealings. his own freaking teammate (kevin millar) went on ESPN live in prime time and openly said he'd prefer to have A-rod over nomar. Nomar was completely alienated from that team and he had every right to screw them over in return.

figures that all the nomar "haters" would emerge from red sox nation after he leaves. that's the diference between sox fans and yank fans. we cheer our returning players for their accomplshments(wells, soriano) if nomar visits boston next year, he'll get a standing boo from the fenway crowd.
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:22 pm

tlef316 wrote:
BoSox4life wrote:

wow, just becuase the guy turns down extention doesnt give a team the right to make such a big deal about the A-rod dealings. his own freaking teammate (kevin millar) went on ESPN live in prime time and openly said he'd prefer to have A-rod over nomar. Nomar was completely alienated from that team and he had every right to screw them over in return.

figures that all the nomar "haters" would emerge from red sox nation after he leaves. that's the diference between sox fans and yank fans. we cheer our returning players for their accomplshments(wells, soriano) if nomar visits boston next year, he'll get a standing boo from the fenway crowd.

Hey tlef, nice avatar. Where's the Randy Johnson one? Oh that's right, he's still in Arizona and NOT a Yankee. And neither is Beltran.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BoSox4life » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:36 pm

tlef316 wrote:
BoSox4life wrote:

hah...I guarantee you that Nomar will get a standing O from the crowd at Fenway. Who the heck is saying they hate Nomar? I wish he would have finished his career in Boston but it didn't work out. He didn't like it here plain and simple. If he's happy in Chicago then so be it...it stinks, but if he's happy then good for him I'll still be rooting for him. Nomar was "alienated" because he didn't like the media in Boston and how everything was so serious...it was his choice to be "alienated." Also, baseball is a business so that gives the Sox all the rights to go after a better shortstop.
that's the diference between sox fans and yank fans. we cheer our returning players for their accomplshments(wells, soriano) if nomar visits boston next year, he'll get a standing boo from the fenway crowd.

What a sterotype. Are you saying this because of Clemens? That's one person and the only reason he is booed is because he went to the yanks. I'm sure you guys would cheer Jeter if he went to the Sox...
All I want out of life, is that when I walk down the street folks will say, "There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived."
--Ted Williams
BoSox4life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BoSox4life » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:45 pm

Stupid internet froze...sorry for the double post.
--Ted Williams
BoSox4life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pokey Reese MVP » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:46 pm

tlef316 wrote:figures that all the nomar "haters" would emerge from red sox nation after he leaves. that's the diference between sox fans and yank fans. we cheer our returning players for their accomplshments(wells, soriano) if nomar visits boston next year, he'll get a standing boo from the fenway crowd.

This is awful. NOMAR is the face of the red sox. When you think of the red sox he is the first face that pops into your mind. He easily was the most popular player for the red sox. Everyone always loved this guy. I am positive nomar will get a Standing ovation, everytime he plays at Boston. Boston loves thier players just as much as any other club. And I bet you, that every fan is wishing that Nomar's number could have been retired with us. We will root for this guy no matter where he goes (except the yanks ;-) ).
Sorry my program for making sigs is broken
Pokey Reese MVP
College Coach
College Coach

Graphics Expert

Postby tlef316 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:50 pm

nsulham wrote:
tlef316 wrote:
BoSox4life wrote:

Hey tlef, nice avatar. Where's the Randy Johnson one? Oh that's right, he's still in Arizona and NOT a Yankee. And neither is Beltran.

i knew RJ would never be a yankee(no prospects) and beltran still has a very good chance of becoming a yankee this winter. why dont you make yourself a nice doug mientkiewicz or dave roberts avatar? im sure they will have a huge impact down the stretch :-b i hope theo and the rest of the redsox management have fun playing golf in october after oakland or anaheim beat them out for the WC
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers