Boston Globe kicks dirt in Nomar's face as he leaves Boston - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Boston Globe kicks dirt in Nomar's face as he leaves Boston

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pokey » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:20 am

Shaughnessy's a dumbass, everybody in Boston hates him, when people talk about the terrible Boston media, they're mainly talking about him.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:43 am

Shaughnessy is a dumb ass, I agree there. You don't trash someone leaving town like that. It just wreaks of classlessness (is that even a word?)

HOWEVER...

Boston Dirt Dogs has an interesting blurb up about the deal. I'm telling you, there's a lot more behind the scenes stuff that led to the deal that we don't know about. Like this:

Multiple sources have confirmed to Boston Dirt Dogs that former Red Sox shortstop Nomar Garciaparra went to see Red Sox trainers Jim Rowe and Chris Correnti four days ago and informed them that his tendonitis "was bothering him" and he would not be able to play in the crucial series in Minnesota. Garciaparra then added "I'll probably have to go on the DL in August to be ready for the end of the year."

After a full examination of Garciaparra's heel, the trainers concluded that Nomar was indeed fit to play, telling the disgruntled shortstop that the heel "looks fine to us."

Nomar then sat out Friday's game in Minnesota. On Saturday, when the trade opportunity with the Chicago Cubs heated back up, Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino approached Nomar Garciaparra and disclosed that there was a strong possibility that he would be moved to the Cubs by the 4:00pm deadline in the spirit of full disclosure. Lucchino then asked Garciaparra how his Achilles' injury was doing. Nomar replied "It's fine now."

You can look at that as the truth or as Nomar-bashing now that he's gone but the fact is he wasn't happy there anymore. You could see it on his face. It's undeniable. If he was going to be like that and tank the season, he needed to be gone.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:08 pm

Just another point to be made here. Nomar's not dumb, he knew when the trade deadline was.

I'm sure he also knew the only way to get out of town, and not to look like a "bad guy" in demanding a trade, would be to tell management that his Achilles was bothering him and he wouldn't be able to play.

Once management saw the MRI's and stuff, he knew they would see he wasn't hurt and would have enough and decide to ship him out.

Notice his Achilles started to "flare up again" rigt after the Sox said they had no interest in trading him.

He would much rather be in LA or Anaheim, somewhere where fans don't care as much as the fans in Boston, NY or Chicago.

If he was a malcontent in Boston, where they rip everything if the team loses, what's he going to be like in Chicago, where they do the same thing, if they don't win?

I find it very hard to believe he'll be anywhere other than the West Coast next year.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby PresHabib » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:42 pm

Pokey wrote:Shaughnessy's a dumbass, everybody in Boston hates him, when people talk about the terrible Boston media, they're mainly talking about him.

Very well said...when I complain about Boston media, its always about Shaughnessy...i don't even read the boston papers (i live in rhode island), i just know I hate Dan Shaugnessy.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:43 pm

Look, Dan is a jerk and loves to ride people out of town.

However, it does seem Nomar put the Sox in a bad position, and I'm hoping this is why Theo got poor value.

It gives the Sox a chance to audition one of his replacements because we knew he wouldn't resign.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:57 pm

A few things from the article:

He had to go. He was more miserable than any athlete I have ever seen. In the Sox clubhouse, he was as happy as Michael Moore at a Bush family reunion.

LOL :-D

It was not that way this year with Nomar. Already unsure about his desire to stay in Boston, he was irreparably wounded by the Alex Rodriguez trade efforts of last winter. He was unable to focus on the job at hand.

Please. If this is true, then it's a bunch of BS. I hate it when star players are getting paid top dollar and there are excuses.

He can say whatever he wants in front of the camera and he can flash that insincere smile, but make no mistake: He hates Boston and he hates the Red Sox and you should be glad that he's gone. If you are a Red Sox fan, he is not your friend.

Who peed in this guy's Cheerio's??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby thetongueofire » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:31 pm

just so that you guys can hear it once again....

.... Shaughnessy has no respect, even in Boston.

and im betting theres people like this in every almost every single media market.... its nothing new.

HOWEVER, it doesnt take anything more than just common sense to know that Nomar wasnt happy with the Red Sox organization and the Red Sox organization wasnt happy with him. he wasnt gonna stay next year. and he was losing interest. and i think he is justified in a few ways to be pissed. frankly, i was shocked when i heard about the deal, even moreso after hearing the Clement wasnt even in the deal. but the more i look at it, i dont think Theo and Co. didnt do that bad of a job. of course they didnt get full value, but theres a lot more going on than people realize. thanks to aj earlier in the season, i know the Red Sox defense had the most errors and unearned runs. :-b it was a bigger weakness than people realized. now the IF is one of the best. people are underestimating how important their defense will be to a formerly defensively retarded team. ;-).

i wish best of luck to Nomar. hes given a TON to Red Sox Nation. i hope the sox are able to play another game against the Cubs this year. :-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SoxFanPJ » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:25 pm

Yeah Shaunnessy is a tool, though he did have a couple good columns early in the season, many people where wondering what got into him.

Nomar really F-ed the sox on his way out, the most recent "flare up" of his achilles killed any leverage Theo had in trying to deal him.

I love how he played, but I hate how his exit was handled by both sides, but all the stuff reported behind the scenes doesn't jive with the public image nomar is showing, so either its bs or he is a two faced son of a gun.
SoxFanPJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:32 pm

Wow, nice fakeout by Nomar and a great way to take away any trade leverage the Sox had left. Not very classy, but it got him out of Boston, which is where he seemed he wanted to be. Also, why would LA or Anaheim spend the money on Nomar when they already have 2 decent shortstops in Izturis and Eckstein? That money could help elsewhere. I hope he signs with the Cubs, or else SS could look mighty shaky next year.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dr.DooM » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:10 pm

Dan Shaughnessy wrote:
He can say whatever he wants in front of the camera and he can flash that insincere smile, but make no mistake: He hates Boston and he hates the Red Sox and you should be glad that he's gone. If you are a Red Sox fan, he is not your friend.

The article is already making rounds around news hours on TV. This quote especially is attracting a lot of attention from the media.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers