Boston Globe kicks dirt in Nomar's face as he leaves Boston - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Boston Globe kicks dirt in Nomar's face as he leaves Boston

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Boston Globe kicks dirt in Nomar's face as he leaves Boston

Postby Dr.DooM » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:09 am

Specifically, the Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy wrote his "thanks for nothing" goodbye about Nomar today. You can read it here. I'm not sure what to make of this but I wonder if other Red Sox Fans feel the same way. If so, maybe they don't deserve to keep any of their stars. Perhaps it's not so much the curse that prevents them from winning but bad karma instead; perhaps God isn't a Yankee fan so much as a Red Sox hater. Whatever. It's going to be the same story as before: "declining" franchise player rejects offer, get's treated like dirt by the front office, then gets hated on for doing well elsewhere.

As for Cubs fans, you have been given a golden opportunity. This is a trade that only comes once in a lifetime. You may recall a long time ago the Red Sox traded another great player to a struggling New York team. Maybe things will work out for you as it did for them.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokey Reese MVP » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:40 am

I don't feel that way at all. I think this "cancer of a clubhouse" talk is just so they can futher justify thier trade. I think just about all red sox fans would have been happier to keep him. If you want the majority of red sox fan opinons just go to sosh. I really don't think this is going to be the same story as we often hear, it can't be as bad as bagwell anyway.
Sorry my program for making sigs is broken
Pokey Reese MVP
College Coach
College Coach

Graphics Expert

Postby Registered_Guest » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:42 am

Throw anything you want in Nomar's face......and you still don't get Matt Clement.

If Nomar's "declining", I'd hate to see the description they'd give to Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz when Rey Ordonez and John Olerud are available on waivers......

I love it. Go stir up some more false rumors Boston Globe. Just don't put Matt Clement in any more of them....

Or better yet, go have Bob Ryan tell Jason Kidd's wife to die or something. That always builds a good reputation...
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:44 am

Registered_Guest wrote:Throw anything you want in Nomar's face......and you still don't get Matt Clement.

If Nomar's "declining", I'd hate to see the description they'd give to Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz when Rey Ordonez and John Olerud are available on waivers......

I love it. Go stir up some more false rumors Boston Globe. Just don't put Matt Clement in any more of them....

Or better yet, go have Bob Ryan tell Jason Kidd's wife to die or something. That always builds a good reputation...

Trust me, you didnt want Rey Ordonez. He can't play baseball anymore, from what I've seen on the Northside. He can't even play defense anymore and he hits like a .210 avg.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:46 am

Whoever wrote that about Nomar is a scumbag. Nomar poured his heart out for that organization and got treated like crap. Thanks for nothing? Without Nomar that team wouldn't be close to the status they are today. Idiots. :-t :-t :-t :-P
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Registered_Guest » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:47 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Registered_Guest wrote:Throw anything you want in Nomar's face......and you still don't get Matt Clement.

Trust me, you didnt want Rey Ordonez. He can't play baseball anymore, from what I've seen on the Northside. He can't even play defense anymore and he hits like a .210 avg.

I'm a Cub fan as well. I saw his greatness batting 2nd a few times....
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BoSox4life » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:23 am

I love Nomar and always will. I wish he didn't get traded but he did, it's a business and something had to be done. The media sucks and always will suck. That article made Nomar sound like an ass which doesn't surprise me. However, if you read that article there are some very valid points that make sense...he just happend to make it sound like he hated Nomar, which wasn't good. Anyway, it's over...Nomar is gone and he isn't coming back. Hopefully Theo made the right decision...only time will tell.
All I want out of life, is that when I walk down the street folks will say, "There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived."
--Ted Williams
BoSox4life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sunspot » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:42 am

What did Nomar do for the Red Sox?
BATTING STATS (-first year with only 21 AB)

1. 6 of 8 seasons of 90+ RBI's
2. 7 of 8 hitting over .300
3. 6 of 8 with over 190 hits
4. 6 of 8 with over 100 runs

Tell me how many Shortstps have done that for their teams... ever!
Talk about total lack of gratitude from the Red Sox, I think that the way they sent this guy off and the way the whole A-Rod thing went down is one of the most classless acts ever by an organization. He is a star that has a legitimate shot at Cooperstown some day, and now he wouldn't even think of going in as a Red Sox player. They totally blew this one. Maybe Nomar and Sammy will go in to the Hall together as Cubs some day. That would just be a nother great thing to happen to the Sox. But, they can't blame this on any curse and makes me really feel that they have deserved everything that has happened to them. I saw Theo Epstien on TV last night saying that they want to try and get a different attitude in the club, well the only attitude that seems to need to change is The Red Sox front office. Epstien.........Your a classless BUM!
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BoSox4life » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:54 am

Your a classless BUM!

Easy there killer...The fact is no one knows what is going to happen. This could completely turn around the Sox or send them straight down, who friggen knows! Instead of calling out people, let's sit back and watch what happens.

Another thing...

According to the Red Sox, Nomar Garciaparra told the team's training staff last week that continuing discomfort in his right Achilles tendon would require him to miss significant chunks of time over the next two months.
A Red Sox source said Nomar's statement concerned management enough to make trading Garciaparra a more pressing matter, and that the Cubs were aware of this development during trade talks. This is probably why Chicago didn't have to give up Matt Clement to get Garciaparra. Let's hope the Cubs are able to keep him healthy. It's a huge day on the North Side as Garciaparra's first start for the Cubs comes in the same game where Greg Maddux goes for win No. 300.
-Rotoworld

Who knows how many games Nomar will give the Cubbies?[/quote]
All I want out of life, is that when I walk down the street folks will say, "There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived."
--Ted Williams
BoSox4life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Althalius » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:05 am

I think I can sympathize with Nomar.
He got on the bus, turned toward the excited throng, and said, "Why is everyone so happy? As soon as we lose, everyone's just going to rip us."

I mean, the RedSox "nation" seems less filled with a passion for baseball than a hatred for defeat, most often manifested in the form of pinstripes. It's hard to stay happy after eight seasons when every loss ends in vicious criticism, and even RedSox fans approach the WS with a sense of grim foreboding. Nomar was great for the Sox, and has consistently been ranked as a top fantasy shortstop. He had every right to be upset about the Arod trade, and I hope he'll do even better things this season to make the Sox regret losing a player of such high caliber.
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers