Curse Reversed? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Curse Reversed?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Curse Reversed?

Postby baseballchick123 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:57 am

Everyone knows the curse of the bambino that lingers upon the red sox...how they traded away possibly the greatest player in baseball history for some measly cash to the yankees, where he suddenly becomes great......but, has anyone else noticed that the curse seems to have hit the yankees lately?

Ive noticed a few people who have been with the yanks, and played terribly, then when they are traded away, or they leave on free agency, they suddenly become good. am i the only one seeing this?

take a look at these:

Jeff weaver- w/ yanks - 7-9, 5.99 ERA, .320 BA, 1.62 WHIP
w/o yanks - 8-10, 4 ERA, .263 BA, 1.35 WHIP

Armando Benitez - yanks traded him away after only pitching 9 innings. W/ marlins 1.25 ERA in 50 innings, 33 saves.

Roger Clemens - 'nuff said

thats all i can think of off the top of my head, and how about these people who became worse after signing with the yanks:

Jason Giambi - w/ yanks - 535 AB, .250 BA, 134 hits, .527 SLG
w/o yanks - 520 AB, .342 BA, 178 Hits, .660 SLG

Jose Contreras - Supposedly the next Pedro..
w/ yanks 18 G, 8-5, 5.64 ERA, 1.41 WHIP

Not to mention...they drafted Mark Prior.

Claussens gonna kick ass for the Reds!
"I am free of ALL prejudices, I hate everyone equally." -WC Fields
baseballchick123
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Curse Reversed?

Postby DaQ » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:44 am

baseballchick123 wrote: Ive noticed a few people who have been with the METS, and played terribly, then when they are traded away, or they leave on free agency, they suddenly become good. am i the only one seeing this?

That's my question lol. I don't have time to look up the stats, but players such as Roberto Alomar, Mo Vaughn and Jeromy Burnitz among others were worse as Mets.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaQ » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:48 am

Interesting post. Everything you said was right, but there was three things I would argue about if this was PTI:

I think Benitez was a piece to get Jeff Nelson back to the Yankees. The big thing w/ Benitez starring in Florida is "where was this w/ the Mets?" because he always blew the big games.

IMO Clemens wasn't horrible with the Yanks, far from it. Remember that 20-3 season he had? He also won a World Series w/ the Yanks.

And I thought Prior was drafted by the Cubs...
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Curse Reversed?

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:37 am

baseballchick123 wrote:Everyone knows the curse of the bambino that lingers upon the red sox...how they traded away possibly the greatest player in baseball history for some measly cash to the yankees, where he suddenly becomes great......but, has anyone else noticed that the curse seems to have hit the yankees lately?

Ive noticed a few people who have been with the yanks, and played terribly, then when they are traded away, or they leave on free agency, they suddenly become good. am i the only one seeing this?

take a look at these:

Jeff weaver- w/ yanks - 7-9, 5.99 ERA, .320 BA, 1.62 WHIP
w/o yanks - 8-10, 4 ERA, .263 BA, 1.35 WHIP

Armando Benitez - yanks traded him away after only pitching 9 innings. W/ marlins 1.25 ERA in 50 innings, 33 saves.

Roger Clemens - 'nuff said

thats all i can think of off the top of my head, and how about these people who became worse after signing with the yanks:

Jason Giambi - w/ yanks - 535 AB, .250 BA, 134 hits, .527 SLG
w/o yanks - 520 AB, .342 BA, 178 Hits, .660 SLG

Jose Contreras - Supposedly the next Pedro..
w/ yanks 18 G, 8-5, 5.64 ERA, 1.41 WHIP

Not to mention...they drafted Mark Prior.

Claussens gonna kick ass for the Reds!

There's reasons for almost all of these people. Weaver couldn't handle the pressure of New York. Alot of people can't. Benitez is one of them. He was NEVER good. He was bad with the Orioles, Mets, Yankees and Mariners. Contreras also can't handle the pressue. And he hasn't done anything elsewhere either to prove he only sucks in New York. Clemens nuff said? Clemens went 20-2 with the Yankees in 2001 and won the AL Cy Young award. He was a dominant pitcher. Not sure what you're talking about there. Giambi is a rare case. In 2002 he had a very good season of .314, 41 homeruns and almost 130 RBIs. Last year he was hurt alot but still had the power numbers. This year obviously he's been hurt and his energy has been drained due to the tumor. And Claussen hasn't kicked any ass yet. ;-) Also, drafting Mark Prior doesn't make any sense in your argument.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rico The Retard » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:47 am

the yankees never drafted mark prior why are you making that stuff up i remember watching the first couple picks of that draft he was number 1 overall by the cubs
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Mustangs989 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:57 am

Rico The Retard wrote:the yankees never drafted mark prior why are you making that stuff up i remember watching the first couple picks of that draft he was number 1 overall by the cubs

Actually Rico the Yanks drafted Prior out of HS, but he decided to go to College and then the Cubs got him #2 overall when he came out of College. Twins picked Joe Mauer #1.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby baseballchick123 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:27 pm

i did kinda go off topic with prior, but i was trying to further support the fact that now the yanks are giving up people who are doing so well after leaving, and/or picking up people who do bad after coming.

dont get me wrong, im a yanks fan, but i just though this was intersting...and i meant overall in cases like Roger Clemens and others. Roger Clemens did very well with the yanks, but if u know yanks baseball, you should know that record doesnt really matter...they have such a good offense that ur ERA could be 5+ and u could still win 15+ games, easily.

like Mike Mussina, in '02 he went 18-10, with a 4.05 ERA..not bad, but not deserving 18 wins imo.
"I am free of ALL prejudices, I hate everyone equally." -WC Fields
baseballchick123
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:13 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:the yankees never drafted mark prior why are you making that stuff up i remember watching the first couple picks of that draft he was number 1 overall by the cubs

Actually Rico the Yanks drafted Prior out of HS, but he decided to go to College and then the Cubs got him #2 overall when he came out of College. Twins picked Joe Mauer #1.

Mustangs is correct. The Yankees drafted Prior out of high school, but he passed it up to go to college. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Rico The Retard » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:19 pm

o i c ya learn something new everyday
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker