SF Closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SF Closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:23 am

i dont think a closer would actually have fixed the giants problems.....they needed 3 or 4 players imo to compete for the west title.....they needed a #5 hitter in the lineup, a starter, a closer and a above average set up man.....and with their minor league talent not being strong enough to trade for all these needs, they probably did the best thing by standing pat and hoping schmidt and bonds can get them there by themselves........
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TownDrunk » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:02 pm

i dont think a closer would actually have fixed the giants problems.....they needed 3 or 4 players imo to compete for the west title.....they needed a #5 hitter in the lineup, a starter, a closer and a above average set up man.....and with their minor league talent not being strong enough to trade for all these needs, they probably did the best thing by standing pat and hoping schmidt and bonds can get them there by themselves........

Gee, I thought I just said all of that? :-b

Actually, their minor league talent was good enough to get all of those things; they just didn’t want to mortgage the future. Sabean said he received a lot of calls in regards to Cain, Valdez, Aardsma, and a top 3B prospect whose name I’m not going to attempt to spell.

What about Christiansen? He has been doing well lately and can hold the fort until the Giants work a deal for a closer through waivers. I'd much rather give the ball to him at this point rather than Herges.

Christianson isn’t that good and it’s only a matter of time before he falls back down. Really, there isn’t anyone in the Giants pen that you should have on your team, with the possible exception of Brower.

I think M. Valdez is their future closer, though they might try him as a SP before permanently locating him to closer duties

As for Valdez, it’s still unclear what his role will be. They just recently moved him to the closers role down on the farm, but they still might see if they can make a starter out of him. Since Aardsma was not moved, he’s still considered to be the future closer for the Giants.
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers