Biggest Loser - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Biggest Loser

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Biggest Loser

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:56 am

Which team do you guys think was the biggest loser in today's deadline deals? I think it would be the Expos (although nobody cares). Why would you trade O-Cab for A. Gonzalez. Gonzalez is one of the WORST full-time starters (especially offensively) in all of the Major Leagues of baseball. Sadly, I don't thik anybody would care if the Expos lost every game for the rest of the season.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Slow Pitch » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:13 am

I would disagree. I think the expos did well to get players that could very well be everyday players next year. Beltran will eiither be the closer or set up guy next year, probably making it up to the big club in September. They also got what very well could be there starting 3rd baseman next year.

All for a guy they were going to lose in 2 months anyway as a free agent. Orlando was not going to resign like Vidro did.

No one really lost in this deal IMO.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby warrick95 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:18 am

Today?

I'd say Red Sox. Cabrera's good defensively, but Nomar's one of the best bats at short (both's contracts are up after this year, so that negates each other) and Murton projects to be at least a fourth outfielder, more likely to be a 20-25 homer type at corner outfield. Mientkiewicz has a good glove, too, but is a terrible option at 1B, a power position. Epstein went overboard with acquiring defense for the team.

Nomah, say hello to the patch of dirt between first and second in Yankee Stadium...

If we're talking deadline deals on a whole, it's gotta be the Mets. Their future no longer exists, even though they'll have a shot to compete now. They could've done better for Kazmir, not that I mind at all.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:45 am

I would agree that the Red Sox lost the most today. Nomar is an elite player and Cabrera/Meinkatjk are simply average.

The biggest loser player-wise is Randy Johnson. Not only does he still play for the D-Backs, but he also lost Finley which will lead to even less run support and a weaker defense behind him.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Registered_Guest » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:04 am

Expos did bad...huh?? Cabrera is hitting .240 something I believe and wasn't coming back. They got a guy who will be at worst a league average 3B or SS or above average 2B (if Vidro eventually gets dealt) and potential very solid setup guy/closer in Francis Beltran. Gonzalez sucks offensively and wouldn't surprise me if he's not an Expo no longer than a month. Brendan Harris is already as good of hitter as Grudz, but Dusty is always loyal to his vets.

Sox did the worst. They could of had Doug for peanuts or Olerud for free possibly. Cabrera is not so much better defensively than Nomar to even consider it a reason to make the deal they did.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:18 am

Registered_Guest wrote:Cabrera is not so much better defensively than Nomar to even consider it a reason to make the deal they did.

Couldn't disagree more. Nomar's range is all but gone with the heel problem. OCab is one of the two or three best defenders at his position in baseball...and he's a way better hitter than he's shown this season playing with that hopeless entity from north/south (depends on which week we're talking about) of the border.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pokey Reese MVP » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:27 am

I don't think the red sox lost. Now that I'm over Murton I don't mind. Theres no way the sox can sign nomar, we offered 20 million a year and he declined. Plus nomar's defense has been awful, have you seen his throws lately? Cabrera is a huge upgrade defensively Cabrera is a great shortstop, I think his stats will shoot up in Boston now that there is something to play for. If he does well the sox can definately resign this guy, at least till Hanley is ready. Also another thing Nomar at home: .343
Nomar on the road: .266
But I'm sure he will perform fine for the cubs.
Sorry my program for making sigs is broken
Pokey Reese MVP
College Coach
College Coach

Graphics Expert

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:26 am

The Mets are the biggest losers....of all time.

I don't care if you're the biggest Mets homer here, there is no way you can possibly justify giving up Kazmir, Huber, Peterson and Diaz for Kris Benson and Victor Freakin' Zambrano. They gave up their future for two mediocre pitchers. They wouldn't give up Kazmir in the Soriano deal, but they let him go for Victor Zambrano? I realize prospects are just that, prospects, but giving up blue chip prospects for mediocrity is just borderline retarded. I guess they just didn't want to upset Mr. Error Matsui by having two Kaz's in the organization.

Also, what's with this "I can fix Zambrano in 5 minutes" nonsense Peterson is spewing? I hate to break it to you Mets and A's fans, but this guy is not the pitching god you make him out to be. If you don't wear rose colored glasses you can see that comment is freaking hilarious. "But look what Peterson did in Oakland! He made Hudson, Mulder and Zito!" Wrong. Ehcuod, The Celtic God of Pitching gave birth to Hudson, Mulder and Zito and taught them himself in the future, but sent them back in time to save major league baseball.

While watching Kris Benson get utterly massacred last night against the Braves I couldn't help but feel a little sorry to true Mets fans who have to put up with the incompetence of Jim Duquette, but then I remember these were the Mets and laughed.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:15 am

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:The Mets are the biggest losers....of all time.

I don't care if you're the biggest Mets homer here, there is no way you can possibly justify giving up Kazmir, Huber, Peterson and Diaz for Kris Benson and Victor Freakin' Zambrano. They gave up their future for two mediocre pitchers. They wouldn't give up Kazmir in the Soriano deal, but they let him go for Victor Zambrano? I realize prospects are just that, prospects, but giving up blue chip prospects for mediocrity is just borderline retarded. I guess they just didn't want to upset Mr. Error Matsui by having two Kaz's in the organization.

Also, what's with this "I can fix Zambrano in 5 minutes" nonsense Peterson is spewing? I hate to break it to you Mets and A's fans, but this guy is not the pitching god you make him out to be. If you don't wear rose colored glasses you can see that comment is freaking hilarious. "But look what Peterson did in Oakland! He made Hudson, Mulder and Zito!" Wrong. Ehcuod, The Celtic God of Pitching gave birth to Hudson, Mulder and Zito and taught them himself in the future, but sent them back in time to save major league baseball.

While watching Kris Benson get utterly massacred last night against the Braves I couldn't help but feel a little sorry to true Mets fans who have to put up with the incompetence of Jim Duquette, but then I remember these were the Mets and laughed.
Someone better tell Ehcoud Zito needs a touchup :-b . The Mets are the biggest losers because they dealt all their future and will not even make the playoffs. Also, Nomars home/away stats this year
Home-25/81 (.309 avg) 13 runs, 16 RBis, 3 HR.
Away-25/75 (.333 avg), 11 runs, 5 RBIs, 2 HR.
Small sample size, but maybe hes fixed the home/away thing?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:06 pm

i thought cordero was the future/present closer for the expos...
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers