the yankees made a big mistake acquiring esteban loaiza... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

the yankees made a big mistake acquiring esteban loaiza...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:17 am

red wrote:Big thing here: I think they're pretty much a wash, but Loazia is more consistent. At least he's had success. Contreras COULD have success, maybe. Loaiza has already been there. That alone makes it worth the while for the Yanks.
As much as I'd prefer it differently.
From a Yankee-hater perspective: at least it's not the Unit!

my thoughts exactly... ;-D even trade for both sides with the yanks getting that 4th starter that should be more consistent than contreras....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:44 am

blankman wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:
blankman wrote:All I can say is this sucks. I hate Esteban Loaiza. He sucks, plain and simple. I'd prefer to have no one than to have that piece of garbage :-t

Contreras is worse than no one. I don't know what you people are complaining about. As if Contreras was going to contribute anything to us.

Ok, but what can you reasonably expect Loaiza to contribute? The same thing, nothing. I don't care who it was that we gave up; it doesn't matter; just the fact that Loaiza is now a Yankee sickens me.

I completely disagree. You CANNOT put Contreras on the mound in a pressure situation under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I do not even want him on the mound in the regular season. Loaiza is BETTER than Contreras. It was an upgrade. I don't understand what you're not seeing. Maybe you just hate him enough not to realize that it was a smart deal. Loaiza could be a good contributor while Moose/El Duque are hurt, and in the bullpen in the postseason. Contreras cannot. He's already proved that. People have been saying Contreras has all the potential in the world. Maybe he does. But we gave him 1 and 1/2 years to show some of it and all he's shown is that he can dominate teams like the Tigers. The Yankees don't care about dominating teams like the Tigers. They care about big teams like the Red Sox. Contreras can't pitch against those teams. He's better off somewhere else.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:47 am

I hope you were pretty drunk Amazinz if you watched the beating Benson took from the Braves. :-b I find this deal slightly troubling for the Yanks because earlier Loiza had said he was losing velocity and his best pitch, the cutter, wasn't working.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:54 am

CubsFan7724 wrote: and his best pitch, the cutter, wasn't working.

Mariano can help with that. ;-)
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:17 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:I hope you were pretty drunk Amazinz if you watched the beating Benson took from the Braves. :-b I find this deal slightly troubling for the Yanks because earlier Loiza had said he was losing velocity and his best pitch, the cutter, wasn't working.

Thanks for your concern, CubsFan. Trust me, I didn't feel a thing. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:19 am

Really, I don't think much of this trade other than that as Fall approaches, I would rather have Loaiza on the hill rather than Contreras. However much that is, I don't know. I just don't want Contreras on the mound. He has the arm but not the head.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:23 am

And the reason that the trade was probably made was:

vs.BOS 5 4 0 4 0 0 0 15.1 28 28 28 6 14 16 16.43 2.74 .394

vs.BOS 8 8 3 2 0 0 0 49.0 48 24 22 5 14 31 4.04 1.27 .257

I'm sure that we can all figure out which is which and what these are. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Dr.DooM » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:44 am

This deal makes sense for the Yankees from a post-season perspective. Inconsistency is bad when your pitcher might give up 8-10 runs in a playoff game, especially against the Red Sox. Loaiza on the other hand is consistently mediocre who will usually give up 4-5 runs a game, which the loaded Yankee offense can theoretically overcome. I guess they'd rather take those odds than hope Contreras won't implode.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:14 pm

Again, I can understand that Contreras is useless in the postseason, but Loaiza will be too IMO, even out of the bullpen. He's consistent yes, consistently not good enough.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers