the yankees made a big mistake acquiring esteban loaiza... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

the yankees made a big mistake acquiring esteban loaiza...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby giants8307 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:03 pm

Amazinz wrote:Lol. Yes. Please excuse me. I am already fairly drunk in preparation for Benson's first outing. ;-D

HAHAHAHAHA! :-D I would be too man...
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:44 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
blankman wrote:All I can say is this sucks. I hate Esteban Loaiza. He sucks, plain and simple. I'd prefer to have no one than to have that piece of garbage :-t

Contreras is worse than no one. I don't know what you people are complaining about. As if Contreras was going to contribute anything to us.

Ok, but what can you reasonably expect Loaiza to contribute? The same thing, nothing. I don't care who it was that we gave up; it doesn't matter; just the fact that Loaiza is now a Yankee sickens me.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby giants8307 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:47 pm

blankman wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:
blankman wrote:All I can say is this sucks. I hate Esteban Loaiza. He sucks, plain and simple. I'd prefer to have no one than to have that piece of garbage :-t

Contreras is worse than no one. I don't know what you people are complaining about. As if Contreras was going to contribute anything to us.

Ok, but what can you reasonably expect Loaiza to contribute? The same thing, nothing. I don't care who it was that we gave up; it doesn't matter; just the fact that Loaiza is now a Yankee sickens me.

Indeed. Estaban Loazia fits the description of a One-Year-Wonder to a tee.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:49 pm

giants8307 wrote:
blankman wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:

Indeed. Estaban Loazia fits the description of a One-Year-Wonder to a tee.

He sure does. I know many people, Madison and myself for a couple saw this coming- Loaiza returning to crap. What a waste of a roster spot he's going to be :-[
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:53 am

blankman wrote:I know many people, Madison and myself for a couple saw this coming- Loaiza returning to crap. What a waste of a roster spot he's going to be :-[

Yes we did. ;-D

Even the Yankees need a mop up guy though, right? :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:05 am

Rirruto wrote:
red wrote:Big thing here: I think they're pretty much a wash, but Loazia is more consistent. At least he's had success.

Consistently mediocre you mean? Don't let his 2003 fool you. Dude's never won a big game in his life. I would rather have not done the deal at all. At the end of the season, they won't have Contreras or Loaiza. Kevin Brown is 40, Moose is 36, Duque is 34 or 39 depending where you look. That's why Contreras' potential to be good is important. He had a solid 2003 and has shown very good stuff. Vazquez is the only solid pitcher they will have in the off season. The Yanks are gonna have to address the big mess that is the starting rotation when they get bounced this October.

Just wondering why you keep saying that they won't have Loaiza at the end of the season. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Rirruto » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:21 am

Lofunzo wrote:Just wondering why you keep saying that they won't have Loaiza at the end of the season. :-?

Because he is a free agent at the end of the season and I dont see the Yanks signing him. He's going to want big bucks after his 20 win season last year and 2 all star appearances. I dont see Cashman wanting him after this year. And if they don't sign him, I'm pretty sure they get a couple of draft picks. That's just my opinion.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:25 am

Rirruto wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Just wondering why you keep saying that they won't have Loaiza at the end of the season. :-?

Because he is a free agent at the end of the season and I dont see the Yanks signing him. He's going to want big bucks after his 20 win season last year and 2 all star appearances. I dont see Cashman wanting him after this year. And if they don't sign him, I'm pretty sure they get a couple of draft picks. That's just my opinion.

Oh. O.K. I thought that you were saying that he would be injured or something. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Dr.DooM » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:05 am

At first I didn't think this was such a great deal. But the more I think about it, the better it looks for both teams. The Yanks basically traded an inconsistent pitcher for a consistently mediocre one while unloading most of Contreras' salary. I'm rather surprised the White Sox were willing to eat all but $3million of the $17million owed to him. Factor in the draft picks and maybe the Yankees actually benefitted overall.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:20 am

A couple of interesting thoughts come to mind regarding Loaiza.

First off, he's sure to at least feel appreciated by the NY hierachy. Let's remember that Torre actually put Loaiza on THIS year's All Star team!

Also, Loaiza's out pitch is his cutter. Who better to work the kinks out with than the king of the cutter, Mariano Rivera?

Just some food for thought. Might signal a turnaround, might not. But if I were sitting just out of contention (which I'm fortunately not) Loaiza is the perfect type to gamble with on the cheap. If he gets hot, you score. If not, it probably won't matter.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers