the yankees made a big mistake acquiring esteban loaiza... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

the yankees made a big mistake acquiring esteban loaiza...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:39 pm

I love this trade for the Yankees. The Yankees don't care about regular season games, it's all about the postseason. Contreras can't pitch in big games. He's shown that time and time agian. I'm not saying Loaiza is going to dominate in big games, but he's much more reliable than Jose. The Yankees are about big games. Contreras isn't a big game pitcher. Simple as that.

Hopefully Jose goes on to pitch well in Chicago. I'd be happy for him. It just didn't work out for us. I'm extremely happy with this trade. We got rid of a guy who wasn't going to do anything for us anyway, to a guy who is more reliable and could potentially help us out in the bullpen in the postseason. Great trade IMO. ;-D
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetongueofire » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:49 pm

"long term" its not a good deal cos Contreras just like Weaver will figure it out away from the pressure but i like it for now for the Yankees. sure as hell they needed some stability in their rotation. but once again i kinda dont buy that "clutch" stuff... :-b

just so that you guys arent being victimized by selective amnesia.. last year down the line in the midst of the AL Central penant race Loiza, being the resident "ace", pitched quite a few games that were HUGE to the chances of the White Sox making the playoffs, and .. umm.. lets just say he wasnt very "clutch". :*)
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jsmith378 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:57 pm

i like the yankees end of the deal. When Loaiza is goin good he has pinpoint control, which is something u cant say about contreras.

Though i did hear on ESPN Radio then Kenny Williams told one of the reporters that Contreras may have been tipping his pitches. I highly doubt that a starter on the Yankees could go this long with an obvious error like tipping pitches.
jsmith378
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:59 pm

thetongueofire wrote:just so that you guys arent being victimized by selective amnesia.. last year down the line in the midst of the AL Central penant race Loiza, being the resident "ace", pitched quite a few games that were HUGE to the chances of the White Sox making the playoffs, and .. umm.. lets just say he wasnt very "clutch". :*)

You're right, Loaiza ended with a 3-3 record with a nice fat 5.30 ERA in September. That probably cost him a few Cy Young votes as well...
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby red » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:00 pm

Big thing here: I think they're pretty much a wash, but Loazia is more consistent. At least he's had success. Contreras COULD have success, maybe. Loaiza has already been there. That alone makes it worth the while for the Yanks.
As much as I'd prefer it differently.
From a Yankee-hater perspective: at least it's not the Unit!
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tmoney » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:08 pm

I am thinking that the Yankees are planning on using Loaiza out of the bullpen after Mussina comes back. Loaiza has a great cutter, and he would be perfect coming out of the pen.

As for the White Sox, Contreras will feel comfortable around the many Sox latino players and Ozzie Guillen. If they lock him up, the Sox rotation will have a lot of talent. Not proven talent, but talent none the less.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:10 pm

tmoney wrote:I am thinking that the Yankees are planning on using Loaiza out of the bullpen after Mussina comes back. Loaiza has a great cutter, and he would be perfect coming out of the pen.

Yeah these were my thoughts also. Especially in the postseason. The Yankees could go with a rotation of Mussina, Brown, Vazquez, El Duque with Lieber, Loiaza, Procter, Karsay, Quantrill, Gordon and Mariano in the bullpen. ;-)
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:14 pm

red wrote:Big thing here: I think they're pretty much a wash, but Loazia is more consistent. At least he's had success.

Consistently mediocre you mean? Don't let his 2003 fool you. Dude's never won a big game in his life. I would rather have not done the deal at all. At the end of the season, they won't have Contreras or Loaiza. Kevin Brown is 40, Moose is 36, Duque is 34 or 39 depending where you look. That's why Contreras' potential to be good is important. He had a solid 2003 and has shown very good stuff. Vazquez is the only solid pitcher they will have in the off season. The Yanks are gonna have to address the big mess that is the starting rotation when they get bounced this October.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:26 pm

All I can say is this sucks. I hate Esteban Loaiza. He sucks, plain and simple. I'd prefer to have no one than to have that piece of garbage :-t
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:34 pm

blankman wrote:All I can say is this sucks. I hate Esteban Loaiza. He sucks, plain and simple. I'd prefer to have no one than to have that piece of garbage :-t

Contreras is worse than no one. I don't know what you people are complaining about. As if Contreras was going to contribute anything to us.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers