This could help the Red Sox maybe?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This could help the Red Sox maybe??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pokey » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:41 pm

KolbSaves wrote:Kevin Millar 2004 1b fld%: .990
Dave Ortiz 2004 1b fld%: .985
Dave McCarty 2004 1b fld%: .992

it's not like their 1b defense was bad

it may not look like it on paper, but it was, it was terrible. McCarty's good but he can't hit his way out of a paper bag, between Millar and Ortiz, I can't even count how many times there defensive inabilities literaly COST us games.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:41 pm

I watched Cabrera play quite a bit early in the year on mlb.tv (drafted him)... and I think Nomar is better. I don't know what fielding percentage or errors say about that (both of which I think are worthless stats)... but I rather have Nomar in my infield.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slow Pitch » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:42 pm

Pokey wrote:
ocmusicjunkie wrote:This really isn't well thought out on your part.

Nomar is better on D than Orlando is. And I don't know about you, but I care more about my SS's fielding than my 1b...

I'm in no position to refute you, cuz I haven't really seen cabrera play that much, but from everything I've ever heard about him he's a MUCH better fielder than Nomar.

You are correct. I have watched Orlando for a long time...he is a very very good defensive player. He & Vidro werent known as the best MI pair & double play tandem in baseball for nothing.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:45 pm

KPucks wrote:I sure hope you're right, but I can't get the uneasy feeling in my stomach and the voice screaming in my head "HOW THE F*** DIDN'T THEY GET CLEMENT" to go away :~(
Easy. Hendry told him they weren't going to trade Clement, and then the Red Sox were too desperate to unload Nomar and he pounced, then got him for peanuts. Another awesome trade by Hendry! Oh and we bent over the Red Sox.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Slow Pitch » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:46 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:I watched Cabrera play quite a bit early in the year on mlb.tv (drafted him)... and I think Nomar is better. I don't know what fielding percentage or errors say about that (both of which I think are worthless stats)... but I rather have Nomar in my infield.

Well I dont think watching him for a few games on MLB TV is a good way to judge him. I have watched him for years in Montreal. He is better than Nomar on D......Orlando was disinterested in being Montreal this year.

In 2001 I think he made 2 errors all year at SS.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:49 pm

i still cant believe why people go by fpct...... measuring defensive performance is hard enough but theres more accurate stats than that. ;-)

but the most accurate thing you could do is go by scout's opinions and stuff.

anyways, the Sox IF defense is now one of the best on paper. IB defense does make a diff... and OCAB is better defensively than Nomar. three gold glove caliber players and Mueller is also above avg. im betting that Derek Lowe's "lovin' it"... anyways, the only way you could completely justify this deal is if Nixon is hurt for a long time which is a def possibility considering the nature of this deal. im accept this deal if tahts the case.

also realize that the Sox had absolutely NO chance of signing Nomar.

but really, Sox shoulda gone after some pitching... they missed a chance. now imo Lowe is absolute key for the Sox.. it'll all depend on how good he pitches.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:50 pm

From the baseball encylopedia:

Despite the fact he plays in Montreal, Cabrera is highly regarded as a one of the best shortstops in the game. He has an excellent rango to both sides, soft hands and a strong arm. He won the Gold Glove honors in 2001.

As a batter, Cabrera is a good fastball line-drive hitter that uses all fields with ocassional power. He is a consistent basestealing threat, and he also has the aggresiveness to hustle out numerous doubles and triples.

In 2003 Cabrera finished second among the league shortstops in batting average (.297), slugging percentage (.415), runs batted in (80), and in stolen base percentage (24-to-26). Beside this, he is one of four Montreal players have ever played all 162 games in a season, and the first to do it twice. Also, his 17 home runs in that season were the most ever by a shortstop in the Expos history.

In seven seasons, Cabrera has batted .269 with 62 homeruns, 350 RBI, 366 runs, 195 doubles, 20 triples and 81 stolen bases in 801 games played.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:51 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
KPucks wrote:I sure hope you're right, but I can't get the uneasy feeling in my stomach and the voice screaming in my head "HOW THE F*** DIDN'T THEY GET CLEMENT" to go away :~(
Easy. Hendry told him they weren't going to trade Clement, and then the Red Sox were too desperate to unload Nomar and he pounced, then got him for peanuts. Another awesome trade by Hendry! Oh and we bent over the Red Sox.

The Cubs didn't bend over the Red Sox. They got Cabrera and Doug M. for a player who wasn't going to resign with them. I am surprised they didn't go after a pitcher but I don't think it's a bad trade. Luckily the Cubs didn't give up much because they get a two-month rental that they will most likely not resign.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pokey Reese MVP » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:55 pm

This trade only hurt us. Nomar said if it was his choice he would still be wearing a Red Sox uniform. Okay maybe we have helped our defense a little bit, but god our offense just fell as well. Millar was just getting hot, now he has no place in the lineup except for right, where both Roberts, and Kapler will play. Plus giving up Murton! He is the best hitting prospect we have. There was no need to throw him into the deal as well.
Sorry my program for making sigs is broken
Pokey Reese MVP
College Coach
College Coach

Graphics Expert

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:59 pm

Amazinz wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:

The Cubs didn't bend over the Red Sox. They got Cabrera and Doug M. for a player who wasn't going to resign with them. I am surprised they didn't go after a pitcher but I don't think it's a bad trade. Luckily the Cubs didn't give up much because they get a two-month rental that they will most likely not resign.
How can you know he won't resign? We will have some free space, we got out of A Gons 5.75 million contract, and next year we wont have Alou either. That gives us some money to resign him. Plus the Trib has bottomless pockets to resign him. We wont know until the offseason because Hendry doesn't resign players during the season. Well, enjoy Dougy M and Cabrera. We'll enjoy your superstar shortstop, your first round pick from last year, and some extra cash you gave us. Thanks Red Sox ;-D
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers