LOAIZA FOR CONTRERAS RUMOR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

LOAIZA FOR CONTRERAS RUMOR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tlef316 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:37 pm

i like the deal for the yanks. contreras seems to be a headcase, and although loaiza is nothing special, he could give us 6 innings 3-4 ER's in a post season game, which is enought to give the yanks a chance with our offense and bullpen.

ill take that over a 3 inning, 7 ER contreras performance followed by a 4th inning entrance by tanyon sturtze :-P

the yankees paying all the salary is irrelevant, because they are the yankees.
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetongueofire » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:38 pm

jeffc_76 wrote:Not sure where you're seeing that we pay all salaries. I read that we sent Contreras and cash for Loaiza but did not read that we pay all salaries. Anyway, hopefully that's not the case.

look at bones post... anyways, me gonna look it up for sure. and it better not be that the Yanks "bought" this one.. or i'll tear up fantasybaseballcafe. :-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby max1889 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:39 pm

Krassotti wrote:Will Contreras be a starter for the White Sox?

Rotoworld reports that Contreras will start.
max1889
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pomplona's finest » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:40 pm

Not sure where you're seeing that we pay all salaries. I read that we sent Contreras and cash for Loaiza but did not read that we pay all salaries. Anyway, hopefully that's not the case.

I was basing my statement about the salaries on other people's posts.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Rico The Retard » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:46 pm

this trade barely means anything cuz they are both worthless maybe contreras's value will go up a tad for not facing boston as much
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:43 pm

jeffc_76 wrote::-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t

At least Contreras had upside. Loaiza had one good year and gets almost no strikeouts. I'll bet we're paying most of both their salaries here too. Dumb. Couldn't get RJ so we felt we absolutely had to go out and get somebody. Would have rather just stayed with what we had.

Completely disagree. Strikeouts? Who cares. It's not fantasy baseball. An out is an out.

The Yankees are all about playing big games. Contreras isn't a big game pitcher. I'm not saying Loaiza is, but let's at least give him a chance. He's MUCH more reliable on the mound than Contreras. Let's not forget he DID win 20 games last year so he at least has SOME ability. Jose wasn't going to do CRAP for us anyway. He can't handle the pressue. Loaiza is a more reliable option for the postseason. He doesn't even have to start in the postseason, either. He can be a good option out of the bullpen.

IMO, a very good trade for the Yankees. Jose wasn't going to do anything for us anyway, while Loaiza has the potential to.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:56 pm

omg. O:-) .. the ability to strike people out is def a PLUS even in real life.... shouldnt it be obvious that a pitcher who allows less balls to be put into play will have a better chance to succeed than a guy who allows waaayy too many balls into play and is playing with one of the worst defenses in MLB behind him. also in "clutch" situations, the ability to strike out comes handy cos its just you v. the hitter. not you v. the hitter with the defense and the ballpark having a good say in whats gonna happpen.

but fortunately for Loiza, he wont give up as many dingers in Yankee stadium. but hes gotta face tougher offenses.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tmoney » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:00 pm

I think this will work out in favor for the White Sox. Contreras should fit in nicely with the Sox because they have many Latino players, plus they have Ozzie Guillen. Contreras should feel comfortable with the team, and he will be out of the Yankees spotlight.

Also, the Sox went after Contreras because they needed a power pitcher, and he adds something that was missing from the team. Contreras has excellent potential, and if the Sox can lock him up, the future is looking good. Over the next years, the Sox will have a solid rotation of Garcia, Buehrle, Garland, Contreras, and Diaz/Schoeneweis.

As for this year, Contreras should do better with the Sox than with the Yankees, and Loaiza will be good out of the pen for the playoffs with his cutter (as a starter, I think he is pretty much figured out).
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:31 pm

The trade sucks. Loaiza sucks. Yes, Contreras sucks but he has more potential than this piece of garbage. I'd prefer to see Contreras in the minors until next year rather than have this bum.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:48 pm

blankman wrote:The trade sucks. Loaiza sucks. Yes, Contreras sucks but he has more potential than this piece of garbage. I'd prefer to see Contreras in the minors until next year rather than have this bum.

Contreras has already been in the minors. Doesn't work. He can't pitch in NY. This is a great trade for the Yankees. Contreras never has and never will do anything for the Yankees. He's better off somewhere else. Loaiza has the consistency to at least be a decent option out of the bullpen.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers