RJ Speaks! - calls out Gammons - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RJ Speaks! - calls out Gammons

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

RJ Speaks! - calls out Gammons

Postby rmeesig » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:43 am

yikes!

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... ercurynews

"I don't know (what's going to happen) and I don't care," Johnson said. "Nothing has been brought to me. I never vetoed any trade like Peter Gammons (an ESPN reporter) said and I'm kind of getting tired of everybody writing their own little story. I haven't said anything since the All-Star break about this and it has kind of taken a life of its own."

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/NAS ... &fext=.jsp

"I'd like to go out and get some wins for this team," Johnson said. "That's my objective. I'd like to turn things around for this organization right now. And I try. It's not for the [lack] of trying. That's the thing that wears on me, because when I go out there I expect to win, and we just haven't done that.

"If something comes, I'm sure I'll be in front of all you guys. If nothing happens, then I may decide not to even talk to you guys anymore, which is very unfortunate. Over the next year and a half of my career, I may just decide not to talk to the media. I'll post how I felt and the statistics of how I pitched on our Web site and then just go from there."

"I haven't seen one true story yet. Have you?" he demanded of the scribes surrounding his locker, launching into a litany of the press clippings he's collected. "That I vetoed a trade, that I want an extension, that I gave a list of teams that I would go to, that I'm only going to go to the Yankees. That's all fiction. That's all the stuff that's been written. None of that's true. Right? I know, and I'm telling you, none of it's true."

"I feel like I'm in a fishbowl, which is really unfortunate. All I want to do is win and play and have fun. The only thing that this whole thing is missing in Tradegate is the paparazzi in my backyard or collecting garbage out of my garbage cans."
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:45 am

He should just pull a Ricky Williams and retire :-b . Then see the world, toking it up as he goes.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby rmeesig » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:48 am

I'm wondering what Gammons feels like once he reads this...Gammons is such a phony.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:50 am

rmeesig wrote:I'm wondering what Gammons feels like once he reads this...Gammons is such a phony.

I would think that Gammons is gonna get a few grey hairs after reading that article. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby rmeesig » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:57 am

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/25900.htm

"So why didn't the Yankees come close to getting Johnson? Because the list of players the Diamondbacks wanted started with Javier Vazquez and included minor leaguers Dioner Navarro, Robinson Cano, Andy Phillips, Eric Duncan and Melky Cabrera."

bwahahaha....yeah right Joe Garagiola...why don't we just flip you Arod and Jeter as well, all for RJ....Just like last off season when the DBacks ask for Soriano and N.Johnson for Schilling.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nsulham » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:57 am

Lofunzo wrote:
rmeesig wrote:I'm wondering what Gammons feels like once he reads this...Gammons is such a phony.

I would think that Gammons is gonna get a few grey hairs after reading that article. :-D

Eh, his hair's already mostly gray to begin with.

To be fair, yes he mentioned Gammons by name but in saying he's collected various press clippings, he's also indicting other wriers. He probably only brought up Gammons' name because it's the most well-known.

This also re-affirms to me what I had thought previously: unless it comes from the horse's mouth, take it with a HUGE grain of salt. You never heard RJ ay he'll only go to the Yankees; you never heard him say who he wouldn't play for. That was all the articles and stuff.

If he had come out and said "This is how it is, I'll only go _____" and it came from his mouth, then I'd believe it.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:59 am

rmeesig wrote:http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/25900.htm

"So why didn't the Yankees come close to getting Johnson? Because the list of players the Diamondbacks wanted started with Javier Vazquez and included minor leaguers Dioner Navarro, Robinson Cano, Andy Phillips, Eric Duncan and Melky Cabrera."

bwahahaha....yeah right Joe Garagiola...why don't we just flip you Arod and Jeter as well, all for RJ....Just like last off season when the DBacks ask for Soriano and N.Johnson for Schilling.

You're gonna fault the guy for trying to squeeze the best deal possible? You'd have done the same thing.

Gariagiola knew NY was the most serious suitor (say that 5 times fast) so he knew he could ask the sky. Doesn't mean it's going to happen but he has every right to ask.

Yes that's a ridiculous amount but you can't fault him for trying.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rich101682 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:17 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:He should just pull a Ricky Williams and retire :-b . Then see the world, toking it up as he goes.

I'd burn one down with the Unit. We could do some LSD and hallucinate in the desert. We may even see a good D-Backs team while we're high!
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)

Postby rmeesig » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:28 am

nsulham wrote:You're gonna fault the guy for trying to squeeze the best deal possible? You'd have done the same thing.

You're right - no, I can't fault him for trying, but he set a precedent last year when asking us for N.Johnson&Soriano for Schilling, then sending him to the Bosox for a dozen used baseballs and a half eaten bag of Davids...
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nsulham » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:34 am

rmeesig wrote:
nsulham wrote:You're gonna fault the guy for trying to squeeze the best deal possible? You'd have done the same thing.

You're right - no, I can't fault him for trying, but he set a precedent last year when asking us for N.Johnson&Soriano for Schilling, then sending him to the Bosox for a dozen used baseballs and a half eaten bag of Davids...

Hey, you guys wanted Schilling, the Sox got him. The Sox wanted A-Rod, you guys got him. Even Stevens.

Besides, who's to say a NY deal of all those minor leaguers for RJ wouldn't have equated out to a dozen used balls and a half eaten bag of David's?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers