The Worst Day In Met's History. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Worst Day In Met's History.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Worst Day In Met's History.

Postby joshheines » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:09 pm

Today, the two worst deals in Met's recent history were made. It's not even close. Yes, I know there is a thread for this. However, that thread has been degraded to utter debauchery. So I'll start this one. It's a b****/cry fest.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Duquette, I hope Lamar gave you a reach around because he just you hard.

I thought Kazmir was untouchable? I guess untouchable is a below average major league pitcher who has the control of a old person who needs Depends. Let's trade our best pitching prospect, who has been on fire as of late, for a guy with 20 more walks than ANY OTHER major league pitcher in baseball. What a terrible move. Plus, Zambrano is now arbitration elgible. Are we planning on saving money? No, he'll get at least 4-5 million and not be worth one penny.

Then, let's trade a few more top prospets for a rent-a-player. It's not even a few top prospects, but Wiggie was included. I know Wright is the 3B of the future, but Wiggie is a .280/20Hr guy. Benson is a friggin rental player. I hated the deal when I heard it was Wiggie and Peterson, but let's add Huber too! What a joke. My team is a joke. I want new ownership, yeah right. Steve Phillips might have had a bad tenure, but most of it was bad luck. Find me one person who thought the Mets going into 2001 were going to flop. They had Roberto Alomar (a trade that was PRAISED), Mo Vaughn (a trade that was PRAISED), and Jeromy Burnitz (a signing that was praised). So all three of them didn't pan out. Shit happens. I'd give anything for Phillips to be back in there. This wouldn't have happened on his watch.

The Mets will now be one of the worst teams in baseball for the foreseeable future. Piazza is aging and in the downside of his career. Cliff Floyd is ready to retire. So we have a decent few players in Reyes, Wright, and Matsui. Big deal. Big deal. Is Benson and Zambrano going to lead this team? Hardly. The team is now what they were in 2001. Old and going no where. The farm system is now barren except for Lastings Milledge. But Duquette will probably trade him for some bullpen help. At least with Huber, Kazmir, and Peterson we could hope for the future. Duquette just gave away the future for some ridiculous hope that this sub .500 team that is 6 games out of the playoffs could what? First, miraculously win the division? Second, Actually win a game in the Wild Card round? Third, get to the World Series? Fourth, win the world series? Come on!! Duquette didn't even address the teams MAIN need for bullpen help. This team sucks and I am a pissed off Mets fan!
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:26 pm

So josh, tell us how you really feel :)

Go ahead, vent away. You have every right to be pissed off. Like I said in the other thread, Benson's basically got management over a barrel now for a contract because there's no way they can afford to let him walk.

Tough times for Mets fans. Hopefully the gambit pays off THIS year because they sure did mortgage the future- then again, like they say the future is never guaranteed.

Props for being a true fan and not pulling any punches though :)
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GrimZeke007 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:29 pm

I really want to hear Met management explain how they traded away Kazmir for Zambrano. Oh this world is screwed up.... :-t
<a href="http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2242053#2242053">Help rate my team!</a>
GrimZeke007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:31 pm

i was at work pretty much the whole day... but Kazmir dealt... to the D-Rays.. i still cant believe my eyes. this is SCOTT KAZMIR we're talkin' about !! 8-o

they shoulda just dealt Wright and gotten the unit. :-b
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby joshheines » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:35 pm

I thought the Mets had a plan to build from the inside. I was excited about the future rotation of Kazmir, Peterson, and Phillip Humber (3rd overall pick of this years draft). Christ, if you want Benson sign him after the year is over. The Mets were on there way to being a DOMINANT team in 2006. Wright and Reyes in the infield. Kazmir, Peterson, Humber. Huber catching. Milledge patrolling the OF. I had visions of 1986 in my head with a young hungry team.

Nope. Instead of a young hungry team, Duquette has now transformed this team into a aging, starving lion who can't kill a baby zebra.

This is as heartbroken I've been as a baseball fan since the strike. I don't see any Mark McGwire's, Sammy Sosa's, or any playoff victories to break me out of the funk either. I guess it's time to find an American League team and root for them! I'll go with Tampa Bay. That's my team to root for, in the American League anyway. Who says being a Mets fan isn't hard. I would LOVE to talk to Duquette today.
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby joshheines » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:37 pm

thetongueofire wrote:they shoulda just dealt Wright and gotten the unit. :-b

Hell yeah! I think Wright will be great, but at least in the Unit we would have gotten something GOOD back. We still woulda had Wiggie at 3B. God, I'm miserable. I don't think I'll be able to sleep well tonight! I certainly hope Duquette can't.
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:49 pm

On a kind of unrelated note, I think the D-Rays are going to resemble the team you thought your Mets would be in '06.

Huff, Crawford, Baldelli, Gathright, Upton, Delmon Young, Josh Hamilton if he ever gets his head on straight and now Kazmir to go with Brazleton. Exciting, young team brewing down there in Tampa (IF they can hang onto those players)
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby joshheines » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:53 pm

nsulham wrote:On a kind of unrelated note, I think the D-Rays are going to resemble the team you thought your Mets would be in '06.

Huff, Crawford, Baldelli, Gathright, Upton, Delmon Young, Josh Hamilton if he ever gets his head on straight and now Kazmir to go with Brazleton. Exciting, young team brewing down there in Tampa (IF they can hang onto those players)

I agree, that's while I root for TB in the AL. It's a damn exciting team that the Mets SHOULD HAVE been. In addition to the guys you listed, don't forget guys like Jorge Cantu who can play at 2B.

Let's go Mets my ass. Speaking of ass, Duquette has succeeded in making me feel like I just had a rectal exam.
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:29 am

TB is going to be absolutley studly in 2 years, as long as they can bring in fans and pay those players. I dont want to see another 94 Expos with so many good players but cant stay together because Canadians dont like baseball.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby thetongueofire » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:38 am

dont worry theres a lot of old people in Florida who bring their grandkids who are on vacation to see the D-Rays play. :-b

TB and CLE will be the TWO BEST TEAMS in a few years. ;-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers