Giambi - Tumor - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi - Tumor

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yankees SUCK » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:42 am

Wow, that sounds pretty serious. I hope he's alright & can SOMEDAY play at the level he has in the past (I think this year should be out of the picture if a tumor is involved -- I may be wrong depending on how 'serious' a tumor we are talking about). I wonder if him continuing to play while sick will harm him in the long run. This is much bigger than his baseball career, getting the man to 100% health should always be the #1 priority.

Just on a side note & I have NO intention of starting controversy because I feel that it's innapropriate, but in research I have done in the past concerning the dangers of steroid use, steroid users are at a much greater risk to get malignant & benign tumors... Hopefully this will make people think twice.
Yankees SUCK
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kenjinenjin » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:21 am

^ lol yea its probably all jason's fault to begin with :-D. i hope he takes a long time to get better, so tony clark can get some more playing time. he's crazy! killed the mets that one game during the subway series... :-/
kenjinenjin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby grammysboy » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:50 am

I had a benign tumor removed from my brain in '98. It was about the size of a tennis ball. I'm very fortunate. The removal seems to have caused no ill effects. I'm still able to operate at pre-surgery levels. At about the time we discovered my problem Dan Quizenberry, former closer for the Royals, was diagnosed with a "level 4" malignant brain tumor.

My tumor was basically a floating mass that was putting pressure on the surrounding brain tissue. Quiz's had roots that were growing agressively into other parts of his brain.

Bottom line - I'm still here with a large hole in my head and the Quiz is gone (may he rest in peace).

They are not giving the location of Giambi's tumor, but my guess based upon his weight loss, is it is in his digestive system. I was off work for about four weeks following my ordeal, but then I'm not a professional athlete. I would guess that Giambi could conceivably be back before the end of the season, but wouldn't expect much production.

As someone said earlier, the main thing here is Giambi's health. Some things (there aren't many) are just more important than baseball.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:02 am

Well said. Glad that you are doing well. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby pomplona's finest » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:04 am

Yea grammysboy its nice to here your recovery went well, hopefully Giambi's will be as sucessful as yours.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby YankeeRebel » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:13 am

all it means is that the tumor isnt cancerous
-Ben Affleck, "The Yankees Could have a $240 Million Infield W/O Their Second Baseman"

-Boston Globe, "Damn Yankees. It just never stops with these guys."
YankeeRebel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nomar4prez » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:58 am

Glad to here your doing better grammysboy. We can only hope that Giambi has as good a recovery as you did.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr.DooM » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:44 pm

Somebody in my 13-team league had dropped him a few days back when they were testing him for E.Histolytica. He made it through waivers and I just picked him up this morning just after I heard the good news. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have some background in medicine either ;-D
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers