Giambi - Tumor - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi - Tumor

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:52 pm

rmeesig wrote:Wow..way bigger than baseball..hope Jason gets better, and has a better year next year.

Me too. From a baseball standpoint, this is a bigger reason for the Yanks to go after Tino. WE WANT TINO GEORGE!!!
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:55 pm

Benign Tumors are somewhat contained. It won't go metastatic and spread elsewhere in his body like a malignant tumor could. The question is how large the tumor is that it is actually taking away Giambi's energy...

Reminds me of that woman with the 380 lb. Ovarian tumor which was benign. Wouldn't get surgery because she was a hermit.

She eventually got it removed.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby rmeesig » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:58 pm

Read this on a Yankees board:

A tumor, though benign, is recognized as an abnormality by the immune system. Thus causing Jason's body to create antibodies to fight the foreign body. This "battle" combined with the parisitic infection, would explain the energy drain and fatigue that would become very noticeable in any athlete, like Jason.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby matmat » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:19 pm

let me preface by saying that I am not a doctor, nor a med student nor really anything else medicine related, but I've read some stuff on this in the past.

a tumor is typically a growth in your body. Normal cells undergo a slight change (mutation?) and the mechanism which controls cell division gets busted. Because of this, the cells just continue to divide and grow causing the tumor itself to increase in size and mass. The organizm (the body) recognizes the tumor as a foreign object and tries to fight it (like someone stated above).
Benign means that the affected cells do not have a mechanism to detach and move around the body to plant themselves somewhere else.

the real issue with these suckers is where they are. if it is somewhere in muscle tissue or some such area then it should be easily operable. if it sits on a lung or in the brain, then it might be a really hard and tedious process to remove it, and, in some cases, it is impossible to do so.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:24 pm

Baseball is irrelevant at this point.

Best wishes to Jason and his family. May it be a fixable condition and wishes for a speedy recovery. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DMXdawg » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:07 am

Does his fantasy value drop even more now?
DMXdawg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:13 am

Since its benign, its not malignant cancerous type and will not spread. Depending on where it is, it will probably be removed and I would guess Giambi is going to miss the rest of the season.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:39 am

ESPN's report is rather optimistic.

Cashman expects Giambi back some time this year and even said "He'll be back sooner rather than later."

Sounds good (relatively) ;-D

ESPN.com

Friday, July 30, 2004

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- New York Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi has been diagnosed with a benign tumor, but is expected to return to the team later this season after undergoing treatment.

The Yankees announced Friday night that Giambi was placed on the 15-day disabled list and will be treated immediately. The team, citing privacy issues, declined to divulge where the tumor is or what type of treatment Giambi will undergo.

Yankees manager Joe Torre said he didn't believe surgery would be necessary.

"I'm just glad that the news, even though there's something going on, he can be treated and recover completely," Torre said after the Yankees beat Baltimore 2-1.

Giambi, a former AL MVP, is batting only .221 with 11 home runs and 36 RBI. He's been feeling fatigued virtually all season, and was diagnosed with a parasite on June 29.

He tried to play through it, but began to feel increasingly weaker.

"He went out there and played and did it basically on courage because he didn't have anything in the tank," said Torre, who underwent surgery for prostate cancer at the start of the 1999 season.

Giambi underwent a battery of tests at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center earlier this week to determine what has ailed him.

"The testing has not revealed the presence of any infectious disease," team physician Dr. Stuart Hershon said in a statement. "The Yankees expect that, with appropriate treatment, he will rejoin the team as soon as possible."

General manager Brian Cashman said the tumor is what caused the increasing fatigue and weakness Giambi has experienced.

On Thursday, Cashman said he expected Giambi would be at the ballpark. Later that day, Cashman got a call from the All-Star and they agreed Giambi should stay home and rest.

Cashman said he spoke to Giambi again on Friday, and said the slugger is in good spirits.

"He's obviously happy that he knows what's going on now," Cashman said.

Cashman didn't have an immediate timetable for Giambi to return to the team.

"I don't expect him here this weekend, and we'll take it day to day," he said. "I think the next few days, he'll be treated and we'll see how he's feeling. He has to get his strength back and then we'll take it from there."

Regardless, the team is optimistic that Giambi will be back in the lineup before the end of the regular season.

"From a baseball standpoint, he'll be back playing sooner rather than later," Cashman said. "By all indications, he'll be back with us some time this year."

In a statement released by the team, Giambi said he was glad to finally have an answer as to what has been making him feel so ill.

"I am relieved that they found something that is treatable and I look forward to getting well, coming back strong and helping the Yankees win," he said.

Cashman said the team will recall outfielder Bubba Crosby from Triple-A Columbus to take Giambi's spot on the roster. Crosby hit .194 with two homers and seven RBI in 36 at-bats with the Yankees earlier this season.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby thetongueofire » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:55 am

im not a doctor or anything but im interested in biology and do some study of my own (im a HS senior).. in simple words, the diff between a benign tumor and a malignant one is that a benign tumor has only grown locally and just compresses the surrounding tissue without actually invading it. at this stage, the probability of it being effectively treated are very high. but a malignant tumor invades and destroys the surrounding cells and the farther it spreads, the harder it is to control/treat.

i dont even know what kinda tumor Giambi has or where it is 'cept that its benign so its very likely not going to be "fatal" like they were saying.. but other than that cant say anything. no need to worry for his life..
... Yankee fans shouldnt be worrying about when he'll be back.. just that he will be back. ;-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fezzik » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:36 am

rmeesig wrote:Wow..way bigger than baseball..hope Jason gets better, and has a better year next year.

When I first read this, I thought it said "bigger than a baseball." 8-o

Luckily it's benign...but benign or not, bigger than a baseball would be a problem. I hope he gets better soon...for his family's sake, not the Yankees.

As big as a baseball... :-o I was freaked out for a second.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers