Jeff Weaver...AKA "The Drunken Billy-Goat" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeff Weaver...AKA "The Drunken Billy-Goat"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeff Weaver...AKA "The Drunken Billy-Goat"

Postby fezzik » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:35 pm

So anyway, he's had eight consecutive starts of allowing 3 ER or less. I think he's starting to gain some of that confidence he lost while he was a Yankee last year. I'm looking for a pitcher that I can get relatively cheaply in my 20 team league. My ace (Halladay) has been hit hard and I'm looking for a little depth. I think he's got a good chance to bring his era down under 4.00 by the end of the season.

What do you guys think about him maintaining his consistant play? Whenever I look at that picture of him, I think..."that guy can't be healthy...he looks like he's about to die." Sometimes I think he looks like a drunken billygoat as well. :-?
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby perlick29 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:10 pm

Not a bad idea at all to pick him up because yes he comes on the cheap.

Then in mid-september if his numbers are still consistent, I'd look to move him for something else that you might need, because I'm not so sure I would trust him down the stretch.

But definitly a nice FA pickup for a deep league. ;-D
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:45 am

perlick29 wrote:Not a bad idea at all to pick him up because yes he comes on the cheap.

Then in mid-september if his numbers are still consistent, I'd look to move him for something else that you might need, because I'm not so sure I would trust him down the stretch.

But definitly a nice FA pickup for a deep league. ;-D

agreed ...

I own him on a couple of squads and am happy with him .
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby fezzik » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:17 pm

Thanks for the advice fellas. I was trying to write the post to where it was proper to be in the fantasy talk forum, but still get some feedback on Jeff Weaver. Now that this has clearly turned into a trade/waiver wire question, I'll just say that Jeff Weaver is not a FA (something I should have clarified). My interest was in was in trying to trade cheaply for him. I was more interested in getting opinions on what Weaver's effectiveness will be during the rest of the season. ;-D

I was also looking for an excuse to use that silly picture of him from Yahoo. After Weaver's performance last night, I'm just still hoping he can be had cheaply. :-o

If I was in a 20 team league and Weaver was still a FA, I would have to say that my league wouldn't be much of a league. :-t
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby thetongueofire » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:28 pm

if you're lookin for pitching in a 20 TEAM league, no reason you shouldnt pick up Weaver. he pitches in a mostly pretty pathetic offensive division and plays half his games at Dodger Stadium. thats good enough for me. and those are prolly some of the reasons that hes been consistant. i think hes for real.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pomplona's finest » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:14 pm

Weaver is a solid guy to have in deep leagues. He pitches at Dodger Stadium and has enough talent to remain persistently good.

By the way that picture is scary. :-o
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers