Is drafting a pitcher in the first round a good move? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is drafting a pitcher in the first round a good move?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is drafting a pitcher in the first round a good move?

Postby LCBOY » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:20 pm

I was inspired by the "prior blows" thread. Last year I drafted Randy Johnson #3 overall and he gave me 6 wins and a long DL stint. I play in a H2H leage and I played for the championship last year. Given a healthy Big Unit I have no doubt that would have put me over the top.

This season I picked Prior #8 overall and so far he's given me two wins. Not what I expected. :-t

So the question is:

Is drafting a pitcher in the first round a good or bad move?

I look forward to hearing people's fantasy baseball philosophy. Let the debate begin! ;-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:23 pm

I never like taking pitchers 1st round. Especially in H2H leagues because you don't need a dominating pitcher to succeed. In most cases it's bad IMO but it worked out good for me in my rookie season of 2002 when I took RJ 3rd overall and he won 24 games with over 300 Ks. :-)
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LCBOY » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:29 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:I never like taking pitchers 1st round. Especially in H2H leagues because you don't need a dominating pitcher to succeed. In most cases it's bad IMO but it worked out good for me in my rookie season of 2002 when I took RJ 3rd overall and he won 24 games with over 300 Ks. :-)

I tend to agree with your idea here. Right now I'm in 3rd only 2.5 games behind 2nd place. I've suffered serious pitching woes this seaon with Peavy, Prior, Beckett, Washburn, and Padilla all spending time on the DL. Even Sabathia has missed some time. If it weren't for C. Zambrano and Nate Robertson I don't know where I'd be. I have very inconsistant pitching weeks. One week I'm 5-0 with a nice ERA the next I may go 2-7 with a 6+ ERA. My philosphy the first two rounds is to pick a power pitcher and power hitting outfielder. I always get Manny in the 2nd round so that has been a great help.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:59 pm

Proven hitters are much more reliable fantasy contributors and make for a much safer first pick (or first 2-3 picks as I normally do). When you take an ace SP with a top pick you can catch lightning in a bottle or be completely burned.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:25 pm

Tavish wrote:Proven hitters are much more reliable fantasy contributors and make for a much safer first pick (or first 2-3 picks as I normally do). When you take an ace SP with a top pick you can catch lightning in a bottle or be completely burned.

Exactly. When I first started playing FB, I thought I should get a great staff and take a stud pitcher with my first pick, because pitching wins championships in real life right? Well that's not how it works in fantasy for the most part. I wound up with a pretty nasty staff at the beginning of that year including RJ, Hudson, Zito, Wood, Sabathia, Schmidt (Yep I drafted him as a Pirate and foresaw his future greatness ;-) ). I wound up with Mark McLeMore playing 3rd base and Raul Mondesi as my 3rd outfielder. I still had a decent team but I finished in 3rd.

Last year I took Schilling 1st overall and got screwed. I still won the league but only because of great, great trades and pickups.

This year, I took Pujols, Tejada, Wells, Chavez, Kent and my first pitcher was Oswalt in the 6th. I currently stand in 1st place. ;-)
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:35 pm

i agree with the rest. there would have to be some weird scoring format for me to go with a first round pitcher. i wouldnt say its wrong to take one in the first round but i just dont think its a good idea.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby great gretzky » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:38 pm

i will say that if you catch a superstar pitcher in a career year, you can sail in pitching. some of pedro's years can carry you almost singlehandedly (i know it can be an exagerration ...) schmidt did his damge alst year (and this year) and it can be good anchoring the staff.

But I like to think of it this way...

At worst, a hitter can only go ofer ... ofer what 5 or 6 max basically?

And that can happen day to day when you can make some corrections.

A pitcher however, the sky is kinda the limit. if he get shelled, it can get ugly, there is no limit.

While this seems counterintuitive for the moment, bear with me.

I would much rather go with five decent to good starting pitchers, like preseason, a bunch of penny's, zito's morris' etc (obviosuly they aren't the greatest examples right now, but you catch my drift) than trying to go two studs, an ok and some back end guys.

I think it is much easier to assemble a staff of five or so c plus to solid/high b guys than it is to do the same on hitting (if you draft pitchers).

I would also add that it is easier to trade for pitching than hitting. pitching has much more vairance year to year than hitting, and a smaller sample size. so if a good pitcher gets creamed a couple of times, you can get him cheaper than you would for a hitter slumping at relatively the same stage.

My "aces" this year were maddux and sabthia out of the draft.

I traded for schilling preseason by giving up cabrera and izzy (steals and saves cloud people's judgment), then traded maggs after he came back from the dl for mulder (i also gave up nate robertson), and then schnookered someone on steals by giving up gathright and sabathia for zambrano after he lost his cool and got shelled.

combine that with the combined effect of sheilds, linebrink and torres (do the math and you will be amazed, a total franken starter) and a pick up of benson, and I am poised to roll.

I just think that all else being equal, people would rather have their batting stud than the equivalent pitching stud.

Say someone had a choice between manny, or his pitching counterpart so far this season ... IMO those comparable absed on performance are mulder, sheets, schilling, santana, clemens and on the outside, oswalt and clement.

Of course, different leagues have different values, but my point is for the most part I would rather work the wire, "buy low", and draft sleepers for sp than go all out for that stud.

I am at the point of almsot thinking, draft the sure closer and your hitters, then work it hard for pitching in the FA and trade market (after taking your sleepers) of course that has its drawbacks. too though.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers