Mets get Benson AND Zambrano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mets get Benson AND Zambrano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby joshheines » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:11 am

Amazinz wrote:
Madison wrote:Back to the trades, I really don't see this as a bright spot for the Mets. Seems to me they choked with the deadline approaching and made a couple of bad deals. Sorry Mets fans, but I believe you got the short end on both of these trades.

Fair enough but after thinking a lot about these trades, I disagree. I think in general people (not pointing you out) are overly critical of Mets' trades because they have a history of bad ones (especially during the Steve Phillips era).

I think to a certain extent we won't know the true value of these trades for a while. If both Zambrano and Benson live up to their potential this trade could be a windfall for the Mets. If Peterson and Kazmir live up to their potential then this could be another in a long line of incidents where the Mets trade away youth that goes on to be great for other teams.

I also don't believe this was a knee-jerk reaction by the Mets. They have coveted three pitchers this season (Benson, Zambrano, Lowe) and it seems a bit odd because none of them seem to be pitchers anyone would covet. I assume that Peterson sees something in each of them. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

Since taking over for Phillips J.D. has done a great job (at least IMHO) and Peterson has done an absolutely unbelievable job with the Mets pitching staff. I have faith that these two guys have some insight that isn't immediately obvious. Both of these pitchers are perfect pitchers for Shea if Benson can become consistent and Zambrano can find some control. We shall see if Peterson can work his mojo on these two.

First, if you're such a big Met's fan, what bad trades did Phillips make? Maybe you didn't like the brilliant Robbie Alomar deal? Maybe it was Mo Vaughn you didn't like? Maybe trading Dotel and Cedeno for Hampton was bad for you? Come on, we were EXCITED Mets fans going into 2001. Those were great trades. He made some questionable signings, but those signings were during the period of glut for all of baseball. Phillips is twice the GM that Duquette is. What has Duquette done? Name one GOOD trade he has made? He hasn't. Not any. Not one. He's signed Matsui and Cameron. Who could he have signed using that money? Just some guy named Vlad. And who could he have traded Kazmir for? Just Soriano. Just think, right now the Mets could have Vlad, Piazza, Soriano, Reyes, Wigginton, Cliff Floyd. Now that's an offense.

Second, THE METS ARE NOT IN A PLAYOFF RACE! They are under .500 and 6 games out at the time of the trade, but now 7 games out! There are only 60 games left. If the Braves play .500 ball the rest of the year the Mets would still have play 37-23 for the rest of the season. That's .616 baseball. The Mets can't do that.

Third, as Nsulham pointed out, Benson is Ron Jeremy and he has the Mets over a barrel. What are the Mets going to let him go? No. we have to sign him for whatever he wants.

Fourth, where is the future? Kazmir and Peterson are gone. There is no other real pitching prospect in the system. Huber is gone. Phillips isn't the answer at catcher, Piazza is going downhill fast. Three of the Mets top four remaining prospects are gone. The Mets now have one of the more barren farm systems in baseball. This is a terrible deal.

Fifth, even if Kazmir/Peterson/Huber don't pan out why bother trading them. This team is NOT winning this year.
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:19 am

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:
perlick29 wrote:Boy this thread got ugly quick didn't it? We were all discussing our opinions on the trade and along come fatty and retard, and even if it wasn't their fault, their reputations make a thread unreadable.

Weird wild stuff. (Johnny Carson)

Oh really? Well I got a question for you smarty pants.

You're walking down the street, it's late. Around 2:30AM roughly. You decide to take a shortcut through a rough neighborhood. You're walking down an alley and you see two guys approaching you. It's dark, so all you can see is their silhouettes, when they get closer you see their faces.

ImageImage

So you think to yourself.."Uh oh, that African American must be a drug dealer or gangster..", so you avoid him and take your chances by walking past the old man instead. But what you don't realize is that old man is a psychopathic serial killer. You lose.

Of course I forgot to add my point. You look at someone like whoever posted before me, ajgscs89 or whatever. You see the number of posts he has and assume he actually knows something, but in reality those are empty posts. Mostly comprised of one liners like "LOL :-b". When in reality, I know 10 times as much as 95% of the people on this board.
See the problem with your example is that we have seen you make stupid posts before. Your example is based on us not knowing who you were. When you said you know 10 times as much as 95% of the people on this board made me crack up. May I remind you the thread titled "Marcus Giles is WORTHLESS" That thread sealed your fate of ever getting any respect on this forum under your name. So your example was flawed, and the 10 times statement was a ridiculous exaggeration given your posting history.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:03 am

joshheines wrote:First, if you're such a big Met's fan, what bad trades did Phillips make?

First, where is this animosity coming from? I can understand you being unhappy with the trades but don't direct it at me. Just because I view it from a different angle and tend to be optimistic, don't take your frustration out on me.

joshheines wrote:What has Duquette done? Name one GOOD trade he has made? He hasn't. Not any. Not one. He's signed Matsui and Cameron.

Yea, Hidalgo for Weathers and Griffiths sucked. ;-7
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:16 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:See the problem with your example is that we have seen you make stupid posts before. Your example is based on us not knowing who you were. When you said you know 10 times as much as 95% of the people on this board made me crack up. May I remind you the thread titled "Marcus Giles is WORTHLESS" That thread sealed your fate of ever getting any respect on this forum under your name. So your example was flawed, and the 10 times statement was a ridiculous exaggeration given your posting history.

Amusing.

I enjoy to push peoples buttons, and it obviously worked. That thread has what, 80 or so replies? You really think that I don't know what Marcus Giles has accomplished and the adversities he's overcome to get where he is today?

And you really think I care about getting respect on an internet message board? Do you realize how pathetic that is?

I won't post anymore nonsense because I'm tired of it, but it shows how gullible many people are here.

You talk as if I only can speak in jibberish. I'll talk about anything, anytime. I'll wax poetic, you want to talk physics? I'll tell you how to turn metals into semi-conductors. You want to talk baseball? I'll go on about Les Mann and Everett Scott, it ain't nothin'.

As for you Rico the Retard, I fail to see why you find humor in the mentally handicapped, so why don't you just go back to posting 1000 times in a span of 2 weeks and demonstrate the utter trash heap that you call your life.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby demoflauchy » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:26 am

nevermind...
[url]textandmac.com[/url]
[url]pokerandcoffee.blogspot.com[/url]
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:00 am

Viper8437 wrote:all i have to say is

THANK YOU

for posting that
ive been trying to get that point accross

i mean if Kazmir turns out to be a flop in the majors
then who got the better side of the deal?

That is true but with all of the hype, they should have done better. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:28 am

well its probably best that I don't reply to a Mets trade ... ;-7 Amazinz knows what I am talking about ...

"Meet the Mets .. Meet the Mets .. come on down and Greet the Mets"
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby hybrid » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:39 am

You talk as if I only can speak in jibberish. I'll talk about anything, anytime. I'll wax poetic, you want to talk physics? I'll tell you how to turn metals into semi-conductors. You want to talk baseball? I'll go on about Les Mann and Everett Scott, it ain't nothin'.

Ok then go ahead and do it. You want to know why people think you are for lack of a better word an "idiot"? Well if your so smart as you say ... I would of thought you would of known, it's cause you haven't shown anything else but dumb remarks.

I for one would be happy if you showed some intelligence. ;-)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:11 am

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Oh really? Well I got a question for you smarty pants.

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:I enjoy to push peoples buttons,

Just to let you know FatGuy...with that and your last post to me...you have pushed my last button.... }:-)

Cool your jets NOW...
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:22 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Viper8437 wrote:all i have to say is

THANK YOU

for posting that
ive been trying to get that point accross

i mean if Kazmir turns out to be a flop in the majors
then who got the better side of the deal?

That is true but with all of the hype, they should have done better. ;-)

Agreed. As an avid Mets fan, WooHoo...we got Zambrano, but at what cost? Kazmir should have gone for more than that...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers