A-Rod - Varitek suspensions handed out - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod - Varitek suspensions handed out

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby demoflauchy » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:35 pm

"Kick his A$$ C-Bass"
[url]textandmac.com[/url]
[url]pokerandcoffee.blogspot.com[/url]
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:41 pm

demoflauchy wrote:"Kick his A$$ C-Bass"

:-b
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ilsa » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:53 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
From an unbiased viewpoint,

Hmm a texas fan who doesnt seem to like arod....

I have no problem with ARod at all. He played hard every game for us, and I don't necessarily think trading him away would have made us that much worse off this year. The financial rewards of getting rid of him won't really be seen until next year.

That doesn't change the fact that he got overly upset about getting hit by a curveball. Like it's been pointed out over and over, if Arroyo wanted to hit ARod he would've brought the heat. So far the only people that can't see this are the Yankees fans.
ilsa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:58 pm

ilsa wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:

I have no problem with ARod at all. He played hard every game for us, and I don't necessarily think trading him away would have made us that much worse off this year. The financial rewards of getting rid of him won't really be seen until next year.

That doesn't change the fact that he got overly upset about getting hit by a curveball. Like it's been pointed out over and over, if Arroyo wanted to hit ARod he would've brought the heat. So far the only people that can't see this are the Yankees fans.

Excuse me, but when did we ever say Arroyo threw at A-Rod? I have admitted several times that A-Rod overreacted. That doesn't mean he's at fault for the fight. Varitek is.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ilsa » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:12 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote: Excuse me, but when did we ever say Arroyo threw at A-Rod?

That's my point. If ARod wouldn't have started mouthing to Arroyo nothing would have happened, therefore the fault of the brawl cannot lie solely with Varitek.
ilsa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:19 pm

kinda late on this "discussion" but cool as long as people realize Tek is not the only one to blame. its fine if you thing Tek deserved 1 more than ARod cos he had the first shove but if you think something like ARod shoulda gotten 1 and Tek five for throwing the first "punch" even though it never was a punch, youre missing something.

and heres another thing NOONE has mentioned... look at the video. when ARod and Varitek were walking towards first while they were "arguing" and the home plate umpire was between them, closer to Tek than Arod. right befor Vartitek shoved ARod, ARod was the one who started moving towards Varitek and stopped going to first. all this while you could read his lips all the while "c'mon mother******... Bring it on !!!"(open invitation for a fight in case you didnt notice)...

..also take into account that he got pissed and started cursing at Arroyo and asking him to "bring it on"after arroyo hit him with a 80 MPH CURVE. i would kinda classify this as "aggresively overreacting". :-b

and given that we didnt hear the whole conversation but IM SURE THE HOME PLATE UMPIRE DID.. and im also sure that he TOLD IT TO MLB pretty much word for word. and mlb pretty much knows more about the conversation than we do... im not a fan of mlb but they had something else to take into consideration that we didnt.

given Tek SHOVED him first... he also obviously overreacted and did the wrong thing but im not sure how many people here wouldve not gotten into a fight after someone from a group/team thats your main rival calls you a mother****** and openly calls you out to fight after hes cursed at your friend/ally (pitcher in this case) even though he had no reason to in the first place.

and i would say that Sturtze DEFINITELY deserved more games than either Kapler, Ortiz and Nixon. heres how i woulda given out the suspensions...

Tek- 5 + fine plus lotsa love from Red Sox Nation for "standing up" for the team.
Arod- 5 + fine plus lotsa love from NY for "standing up" for the team.
Sturtze- 5 + fine.. plus lotsa boos from everyone for being a sissy. and a lonely romantic candlelight dinner with Mo Vaughn just for perks.
Kapler- absolutely nada.
Ortiz- fine.
Nixon- 1 + fine.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:29 pm

ilsa wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote: Excuse me, but when did we ever say Arroyo threw at A-Rod?

That's my point. If ARod wouldn't have started mouthing to Arroyo nothing would have happened, therefore the fault of the brawl cannot lie solely with Varitek.

Yes, it can. A-Rod didn't go after Arroyo. He yelled at him. There would have been no brawl if Varitek didn't shove A-Rod.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:44 pm

ilsa wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:

If I had a nickel for every ignorant statement made here, I'd be a rich man.

The actual pitch hasn't even been mentioned much because the discussion has moved on. This discussion has focused on Varitek vs. A-Rod, for the most part.

Since I made an earlier statement about not wanting to do anymore language editing, you can add this thread to the list of many that were closed because people can't follow a few simple rules.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:56 am

Lofunzo wrote:Since I made an earlier statement about not wanting to do anymore language editing, you can add this thread to the list of many that were closed because people can't follow a few simple rules.

I cleaned it up and decided to give everyone another chance to discuss this like adults. We'll see if it works. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:00 am

Ok, now for my personal opinion on this...........

I'm not going to bother with the story because everyone knows it and I'm not going to bother with the bit players. What I will say is that I believe Varitek should have gotten 5 games, and Arod 3. with appeals, Varitek's stands at 5 while Arod's is reduced to 2.

Bottom line is that there never would have been a physical altercation had Varitek not laid a hand on Arod first. Did Arod lose his head? Sure, but yelling and cussing happens every single day in the MLB. Varitek turned words into a fistfight and is ultimately the most responsible for the whole ordeal turning physical.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers