A-Rod - Varitek suspensions handed out - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod - Varitek suspensions handed out

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A-Rod - Varitek suspensions handed out

Postby rmeesig » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:50 pm

crap if you ask me...Varitek should have gotten more time than ARod considering he threw the first "punch"

"Catcher Jason Varitek of the Red Sox was suspended for four games and fined an undisclosed amount for inciting a bench-clearing incident and fighting. Outfielders Gabe Kapler and Trot Nixon were each suspended for three games and fined undisclosed amounts for fighting and for aggressive actions during the bench-clearing incident. Varitek's suspension is scheduled to begin on Friday, July 30, while Kapler's is scheduled to start Tuesday, August 3. Nixon is scheduled to begin serving his suspension immediately upon his reinstatement from the disabled list.

Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez was suspended for four games and fined an undisclosed amount for inciting a bench-clearing incident and fighting, while pitcher Tanyon Sturtze was suspended for three games and fined an undisclosed amount for fighting and for his aggressive actions during the bench-clearing incident. Both suspensions are scheduled to begin on Friday, July 30.

The following participants were fined an undisclosed amount but were not suspended: David Ortiz (Designated Hitter - Boston), Curt Schilling (Pitcher - Boston) and Kenny Lofton (Outfielder - New York)."
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

arod

Postby bluefire7 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:58 pm

what should rodriguez have done?? just stand there and get beat up? it's not like he was even punching back.. he just put him in a headlock and it went into a standstill...

now for the fantasy viewpoint:

what do arod owners do? is he gunna go with the 4-game suspension starting friday or appeal and it'll happen later (i mean how often do appeals work anywyz..)?
bluefire7
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:59 pm

This is truly an utter disgrace. I don't see how other instances, Zambrano's beaning Edmonds, Ortiz's incident can get 5 games while Varitek only gets 4 for starting a brawl. The fact that A-Rod was suspended at all for defending himself (we know Varitek yelled at A-Rod before A-Rod started cursing back. It is a fact) is also a disgrace. The Sturze, Nixon, Kapler ones are justified. In a nutshell, Varitek should have gotten at least 5, based on other less severe incidents that got 5, and A-Rod should perhaps have gotten 1, but absolutely less than the guy who started the brawl.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: arod

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:01 pm

bluefire7 wrote:what should rodriguez have done?? just stand there and get beat up? it's not like he was even punching back.. he just put him in a headlock and it went into a standstill...

now for the fantasy viewpoint:

what do arod owners do? is he gunna go with the 4-game suspension starting friday or appeal and it'll happen later (i mean how often do appeals work anywyz..)?

He will absolutely appeal (rightfully so), and has said he would. I don't know when the appeal would end though.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:02 pm

He'll appeal it and get 2 or 3 games................ stupid appeals. If they just do it right the first time there would be no need for appeals. Instead they play this stupid game where they suspend them for too many games and when they appeal they remove a couple of them. Who's running this thing? The players breaking the ruels, or the Commish? Give A-Rod and Tek 3 games and dont' let them appeal. Geez.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:02 pm

blankman wrote:This is truly an utter disgrace. I don't see how other instances, Zambrano's beaning Edmonds, Ortiz's incident can get 5 games while Varitek only gets 4 for starting a brawl. The fact that A-Rod was suspended at all for defending himself (we know Varitek yelled at A-Rod before A-Rod started cursing back. It is a fact) is also a disgrace. The Sturze, Nixon, Kapler ones are justified. In a nutshell, Varitek should have gotten at least 5, based on other less severe incidents that got 5, and A-Rod should perhaps have gotten 1, but absolutely less than the guy who started the brawl.

Blankman, totally disagree. Arod started the whole thing by not taking his base. I would have expected Tek to get one more game, though.

Sturtze's suspension is a joke. As a SP, that means he misses no games. What a fraud. And he did the most dangerous thing--attacking Kaplar, in a choke hold, from behind--and he doesn't miss time?

And Kaplar is defending himself--like Arod, but without the provacation--and he misses three games? What a sham.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:06 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
blankman wrote:This is truly an utter disgrace. I don't see how other instances, Zambrano's beaning Edmonds, Ortiz's incident can get 5 games while Varitek only gets 4 for starting a brawl. The fact that A-Rod was suspended at all for defending himself (we know Varitek yelled at A-Rod before A-Rod started cursing back. It is a fact) is also a disgrace. The Sturze, Nixon, Kapler ones are justified. In a nutshell, Varitek should have gotten at least 5, based on other less severe incidents that got 5, and A-Rod should perhaps have gotten 1, but absolutely less than the guy who started the brawl.

Blankman, totally disagree. Arod started the whole thing by not taking his base.

Thats not true. A-Rod was taking his base; he was walking down the line, not toward the pitcher, when Varitek ran up and started yelling in his face.

If you chose to take that route- whatever happened first, Arroyo started it by hitting A-Rod.

The fact remains that Varitek made it a brawl and thus started the brawl, meaning he should be suspended for more games.
Last edited by blankman on Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby WeaponsMasProduction » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:07 pm

it does seem pretty odd a starter can get suspended for 3 games. whats the point? i could see forcing them to miss a start.
WeaponsMasProduction
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jeffc_76 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:07 pm

Complete joke :-t :-t :-t :-t
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmeesig » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:09 pm

So the message here is that it's OK to throw the first punch, since the other guy will get the same suspension? bah...

Sturtze's suspension is based on his position - a relief pitcher. He's just happened to start 2 games this year due to injury situations.

Was Kaplar still defending himself while Ortiz and Nixon held Sturtze down and Kaplar was hitting Sturtze in the back of the head?
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers