what should I do ?
Drope Beltre and pick Blalock ?
thanks in advance
AlexG
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby guest » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:29 pm

I wish I could help you. I have both also and Beltre is pissing me off!!! I think Blalock could be in for a big year, but I'm not happy with the Rangers management. They've sat him 3 times already, which is ridiculous. He hit Zito well, so keep starting him, right? Anyways, Beltre is killing me at his -1 total this week.

I'm going to start Blalock from now on just because he will hit either in the 6th spot or the 2nd spot, which should be most of the time, and Beltre is going to have to show me something from here on out.

A sidenote, I think the whole Blalock at 2nd base thing during the spring wasn't for the Rangers. I believe they have every intention of trading him at some point this year, and playing him at 2nd makes him more marketable. IF Teixeira ever starts hitting like everyone thinks he can, I would seriously look at Blalock being traded, as part of a package, to the Royals for Beltran. Sound crazy? Beltran is a very very good friend of ARod, who has been lobbying Tom Hicks hard to get him. The Rangers have learned how much a very good CF can mean to their team. So, Relaford would be moved out and Blalock would be the 2nd baseman. He's cheap and he will be a stud when they have their team built up again.

Any counter-arguments?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby John Bonzo » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:36 am

I dont think Texas has any intentions at trading Blalock this year or ever. They see the starting lineup tonight (4/17) as the future IF (1B Teixiera, 2B Young, SS Arod, 3B Blalock). Not to say that they wouldnt give Blalock up if someone offered very good pitching, but i dont think they are looking to trade him at all.

Blalock is occasionally given the night off against lefties so that other players in Texas' very deep bench get some ABs. I wish they would commit to playing the youngsters, and i believe that they will soon after they look to trade away some veterans (Everett, Perry, Gonzalez, Sierra). I would say that Everett would be the most likely to go the soonest, with Juan Gone going near the deadline.

The Blalock for Beltran trade rumor has pretty much totally died because KC demanded a pitcher packaged with Blalock for Beltran, plus John Hart seems very determined to keep both Blalock and Texiera.

Of course, this is pure speculation, but i follow the team very closely and this is the impression i get.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers