RJ to Dodgers...so close - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RJ to Dodgers...so close

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nsulham » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:11 pm

rmeesig wrote: I don't think Arizona wants an angry expensive pitcher on their books for next year, especially if they're not playing any better -- at that point, he may just ride it out in the offseason and not approve deals to any teams and let them pay him and be stuck and cause more problems...I think this will go down to the wire and that way they can screw Randy a bit by making him wait...a big game of chicken...

I think I read somewhere that a reporter asked Garagiola (sp?) is he willing to put up with an angry RJ if he doesn't get traded, and Garagiola said something like "Yeah we can put up with it. How is it any different than what he's normally like?"

The whole "RJ will be angry if he has to stay" tip seems overblown to me. He's not exactly the happiest-go-lucky guy to begin with. He always seems like he's pissed off and he's a loner anyhow---that's part of his aura and his intimidation on the mound. He's not out there to make friends.

Point blank, if NY can't find the players to make the deal (which doesn't look likely), RJ is going nowhere. Arizona's got the upper hand here--NY needs RJ more than the D-Backs need to ship him off.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mwb743s » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:12 pm

I have heard alot of teams are backing off realizing he wont be traded this year, and that Arizona will just look for the best package after the season. Just what I have heard through talk radio though so who knows the truth to it
mwb743s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: Al Hrabosky's Ballpark Saloon taking a leak in the urinal in front of the double sided mirror!

Postby Rico The Retard » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:12 pm

he makes up this stuff cuz there is no way to find out if he is right or not so we will never no if he is lying or not but he is lying cuz he is just making up that bullcrap too look smart my dead relatives no more about baseball than gammons
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby thehat » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:14 pm

[quote="rmeesig"]Gammons is an idiot for reporting that supposed Dodgers offer...no offer was ever made according to RJ's agent:

You're kidding me, right? You actually are going to believe something his agent said?

I have some land I'd like to tell you about.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rmeesig » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:17 pm

thehat wrote:You're kidding me, right? You actually are going to believe something his agent said?

I have some land I'd like to tell you about.

A printed quote in the New York Times? Sure, I'll believe it over Gammons anyday.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:46 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:
RJ is a clown if he'd rather stay in 'Zona than go to LA or Anaheim.

A guy that is destined to be in the HOF says he wants to go to NYY or stay put is a clown or as another said is a punk? RJ is 40+ yrs of age and still pitching better than 98% of the pitchers in either league and has done so for the better part of his career. Maybe RJ is looking out for RJ and he has every right to do so. If Ariz doesn't trade him because he turns down deals that would be good for Ariz and not as good for RJ.. how can anyone call him a punk or clown or anything? The guy is nearing the end of his career and he knows it.. let him be the one to decide where he wants to end it. If it's his dream to play in pinstripes just like it is to about every baseball player playing.. so be it. But calling a him out on his choice of accepting or declining any trade shouldn't be left to the media or us to judge. The guy has earned it more than anyone to decide where he should end his career. If it doesn't work out that he can get to NY.. then he'd rather stay put where he already lives and likes to play.. then what's wrong with that? I say more power to him if he says no to LA or any team. Just my 2 pennies on this subject :-)
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jeffc_76 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:09 am

Well it won't be long now, regardless of how it turns out. I've been thinking all along Arizona's comments were simply posturing but that last one makes me not so sure. Maybe, it's just nervous jitters on my part. Anyway, the Yanks' pitching rotation is in pretty rough shape. Sounds like Mussina just had another setback, experiencing some discomfort in his elbow in his last session, although they aren't calling it that just yet. Brown might be back this week but it sure doesn't sound to me like he's 100% yet and I won't be surprised to see him struggle much like Giambi did when he thought he was ready to come back. Sturtze is hurt but that's more-or-less irrelevant anyway since he can't be considered anything more than a very temporary 5th starter. Contreras sucked last time out and worst of all imo, El Duque came up lame after only two innings in his last start. In my previous post, I suggested that after another good start or two, we have to start giving serious consideration to pencilling him in for a spot in the postseason rotation. Anyway, good thing for that big lead in the division. Hopefully, we can put something together and get RJ.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers