Big Rumor: Beltran to Giants in three way deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Rumor: Beltran to Giants in three way deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortsavage » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:04 pm

giants8307 wrote:wow, i hope this isn't true. Beltran is overrated. What we really need is a closer. Anybody who watched the game last night knows that's more of a problem than our OF.

Herges came in and got a great save last night. Hehe, I thought the Colorado game was the best example of WE NEED A CLOSER!

P.S. If the Giants were to give up this much for Beltran they would either have to be getting some cash to pay Beltran for the rest of the season or they would have to be very confident that they could end up signing Beltran long-term.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TownDrunk » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:06 pm

He got the save, short, but he didn't look very good. He's still missing his spots.

I agree that the Giants need bullpen help more than they need another bat, but I wouldn't be opposed of landing Beltran :-b

Also, did you catch it the other day when Sabean and Alou made mention that they might deal one of their starters to fill some other holes and call Lowry up to join the rotation?
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby giants8307 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:07 pm

shortsavage wrote:
giants8307 wrote:wow, i hope this isn't true. Beltran is overrated. What we really need is a closer. Anybody who watched the game last night knows that's more of a problem than our OF.

Herges came in and got a great save last night. Hehe, I thought the Colorado game was the best example of WE NEED A CLOSER!

P.S. If the Giants were to give up this much for Beltran they would either have to be getting some cash to pay Beltran for the rest of the season or they would have to be very confident that they could end up signing Beltran long-term.

That's great that herges came in and did that, but our closer-by-committee situation is not working. Are we going to have 3 guys come in every night and give up 1-2 runs in the ninth? I don't think that's a great idea...
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby giants8307 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:09 pm

TownDrunk wrote:He got the save, short, but he didn't look very good. He's still missing his spots.

I agree that the Giants need bullpen help more than they need another bat, but I wouldn't be opposed of landing Beltran :-b

Also, did you catch it the other day when Sabean and Alou made mention that they might deal one of their starters to fill some other holes and call Lowry up to join the rotation?

That's an excellent idea. Give lowry a chance , i say.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shortsavage » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:10 pm

I missed the talk about trading a starter. Noah showed that he is ready, but who would get dealt?

Tomko and Hermanson are probably worth more to the Giants than anyone else. The Giants' top young arm in the bigs, Jerome Williams is very unlikely to be traded. Would anyone want Reuter :-b ? Schmidt is a no-brainer :-D .
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:10 pm

The Giants would be taking on about $3 million from Beltran's contract, it was $9 million at the start of the year.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby TownDrunk » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:14 pm

Stark:

1. Upgrade closer. Nobody out there yet, is hearing Jorge Julio. Sabean was in Detroit watching Urbina, Urbina velocity down.

2. Steve Finley. Down to Padres and Dodgers.

3. Mike Sweeney won’t happen.

Nothing on Beltran yet.
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby TownDrunk » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Here we go:

Stark: He doesn’t think Beltran will go back on the market, but if he did, knows the Giants would be interested. The Astros are looking for a young bullpen arm and it’s possible that Aardsma might be involved.

Barry: “Well we heard that Cain and Torrealba might be dangled as well with Florida involved, but it’s all speculation at this point.”
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby Pedantic » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:34 pm

Hmmm...Beltran in SBC. What was that sound? Oh, that was his fantasy value heading down the toilet. Heheh, just kidding, but it sure wouldn't help his ability to hit homers.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby shortsavage » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:38 pm

Pedantic wrote:Hmmm...Beltran in SBC. What was that sound? Oh, that was his fantasy value heading down the toilet. Heheh, just kidding, but it sure wouldn't help his ability to hit homers.

He would have a ton of triples though. And, starved for a base stealer, he could get the green light frequently in SF.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers