eerie similarities thus far... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

eerie similarities thus far...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

eerie similarities thus far...

Postby sinicalypse » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:36 am

some players, to this point, are having nearly identical seasons... check it out: [critiera are standard 5x5 roto stats]... these stats dont count yesterday's games, in the case of armas, who pitched 7 innings with a 5/7 whip, 0 ERA, but only 2k...

case 1, mark prior and kerry wood. who's the ace of the cubs staff? the jury's out right now.

prior: 3 starts, 2 wins, 25k, 1.71 era, 0.81 WHIP
wood: 3 starts, 2 wins, 26k, 2.70 era, 1.00 WHIP

case 2, tony armas jr and randy wolf are having nice starts to the season. both cases are surprising, as armas has never seemed to pitch this well in the bigs (lets hope it holds up) and wolf has never had a good start like this

armas, jr: 3 starts, 2 wins, 15k, 2.00 era (now 1.44), and a 1.06 WHIP
wolf: 3 starts, 2 wins, 15k, 2.55 era, 1.08 WHIP

case 3, magglio ordonez and pat burrell. i suppose burrell's slow start is surprising in my world, and maggs traditionally heats up as the weather does and is a bonafide stud by june or july:

burrell: .214/2hr/9 rbi/11 runs/0 SB
ordonez: .298/2hr/10 rbi/4 runs/1 SB

despite magglio's steal and burrell's lower avg, those runs scored push pat ahead of magglio in overall fantasy rankings thus far.

one last comparison, and i find this one very interesting...

case 4, raul ibanez and hideki matsui. raul ibanez established himself as a fine hitter last season, one of the more underrated fantasy stars out there in '02, and looking good thus far in '03. hideki matsui was just a projection coming into this season, but he and mister ibanez seem to be the same type of hitter: they go for RBIs over home runs and are both pretty damn good contact hitters (i'm going to include BB/K numbers in here along with # of hits, since i noticed their similarities in a 7x7 roto that counts hits and Ks for offense)

ibanez: .341 / 3 HR / 8 RBI / 0 STL / 15 H / 2 BB / 4 K
matsui: .306 / 2 HR / 14 RBI / 0 STL / 15 H / 6 BB / 4 K

so it seems that these guys are both good solid RBI-minded left handed hitters. it makes one wonder just how good raul would be hitting if he had those studly yankees 3-4 hitters batting in front of him, even though sweeney is no slouch, i think raul could drive in 130-150 runs if he had a good year in the middle of a godly lineup like the yankees.

and for what little it's worth, i just traded mike macdougal straightup for hideki matsui i nthat 7x7 roto league. so i'll have both ibanez and matsui on that team. hopefully, they both provide dynamic #s akin to .280/25/120 if they both continue on the path that they're on... i'll give the edge in HRs to ibanez, as i think he can probably hit 30 this year, and the edge in RBI to matsui, since he bats behind two .330 hitters in giambi and bernie williams.

phew. thats it. bedtime for me, i'll catch you guys later.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers