Brock Lesner signs with the Vikings! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Brock Lesner signs with the Vikings!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:12 pm

I agree that it's a PR thing. Why else would it be the VIKINGS?

It's reported that he'll play DT at 286 lbs. I dunno. He seems to have pretty good quickness, so I thought DE would be the ideal fit. 286 is a tad small for DT, but Tice likes quicker defensive linemen, I think. I was thinking DE on run downs to start...and then see how he does pass rushing.

286 is way too big for an LB...the new breed of LBs are small and quick.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:33 pm

wrveres wrote:Serioussly, never heard of him ....

oh and BTW ...
I am think I am pretty safe in my accusation that that guy is "Juiced" ...

I think they test for that in the NFL

I doubt he's "juiced". He was almost that big in college. 8-o

As for anyone who thinks this is a PR stunt, who is the stunt for? Lesnar walked away from a $45 million dollar contract to play football. Awful big chunk of change to give up simply for publicity. :-°

He's got the athleticism and believe it or not, he's not an idiot either. College degree in something or other. If I find the article, I'll post it. ;-)

Will he succeed? I don't know. Is he worth a shot on most NFL team's defense? Absolutely. The reward could be huge.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:43 pm

irishdude103 wrote:Why the Vikings???

He lives in Minnesota and went to college there.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby irishdude103 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:45 pm

Tavish wrote:
irishdude103 wrote:Why the Vikings???

He lives in Minnesota and went to college there.

ah i c
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Rico The Retard » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:07 pm

even if he is juiced he will play all them defensive lineman in the NFL are juiced
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby DaQ » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:16 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:if i was the quarterback i would pray that my offensive lineman block him or else im running out of bounds

He may not know/care that the QB is out of bounds...
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rico The Retard » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:24 pm

lol probably not
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:52 am

Here's an interview with Brock:

The following is from NFL.com:

Leaving behind a career as a world champion in the WWE, former pro wrestler Brock Lesnar is trying his hand at pro football. Lesnar, who lives in Minnesota, signed with the Vikings and will be in training camp with the team. Lesnar spoke with NFL Total Access host Rich Eisen about the excitement of trying another sport, his rigorous training to get there, and his wily roommate. NFL Total Access airs Monday through Friday at 7 p.m. ET/PT (aired July 28, 2004).

Rich Eisen: How excited are you? You must be fired up.

Brock Lesnar: I'm very excited, overwhelmed, and I don't know what else to say. I'm just thankful for the opportunity that the Vikings gave me, and looking forward to going into camp. I'm just excited -- don't know what to expect. I'm just glad I'm going there.

Eisen: Well, obviously when you're talking about professional wrestling, in a way, some people might think this is a gag. But, you're leaving serious dollars on the table to try this thing out, Brock. Why are you doing this?

Lesnar: Well, this is a dream of mine that I wanted to fulfill, and I figured you only live once in your life. I climbed to the top in wrestling, and it was time for me to get out of there, so here I am. I'm looking forward to fulfilling this dream, and it was a passion of mine that I wanted to play football.

Eisen: Now you haven't played football since 1995, at Webster High School in your native South Dakota. What have you done to prepare for this?

Lesnar: Well, I don't know what you really can do to prepare for this. I'm just coming into this with an open mind. I'm trying to be in as good a shape as I can be in, and I guess I have a lot of faith in the coaching staff here to kind of mold me along and help me out, and that's all I'm really looking for. I don't know how to really prepare myself, I'm just going in with an open mind.

Eisen: Well, you went to Tempe for a few months at this world-renowned place for players to get into football shape. Tell us about your stay there.

Lesnar: Yeah, I got down to Athletes Performance in April and was there throughout the summer, and those guys worked with me to get me back into shape. In the midst of things, I got into a motorcycle accident, which set me back. So mostly this summer, I've been trying to heal up and get ready and wishing for somebody to give me this opportunity to play football. That's kind of where I'm at right now.

Eisen: Is there anybody who would dare to tell you you're a little nuts for trying to do this?

Lesnar: Well, I guess you've got to be a little nuts to live life in general. You know, I walked away from the WWE, left a lot of money on the table to pursue this. I just want to be happy, play football, be close to my family, and want to be around good people. That's why I live here in Minnesota.

Eisen: Any thoughts in Mankato in trying out the F-5 wrestling maneuver on any of your new teammates?

Lesnar: I don't think that'll win me over at the camp, no. I got that move perfected; I want to try some football things.

Eisen: Let's take a look at the depth chart you'll be joining. Obviously some of these guys have some serious credentials ... are you rooming with Chris Hovan in Mankato?

Lesnar: Yes, I'll be rooming with Chris in Mankato.

Eisen: Oh my God! That should be an interesting room, Brock.

Lesnar: It could be, it could be. I got a good teacher there, so that's my whole plan. I'm going to surround myself with greatness.

Eisen: Have you known Chris for awhile?

Lesnar: Yeah, I've known Chris going on four years now. He was a fan of mine when I was in the wrestling ring and I was a fan of his on the football field.

Eisen: Well, Brock, Mike Tice's plan for you right now is…he thinks that you're a great practice squad player and maybe sending you to NFL Europe. Is that something you would do?

Lesnar: Whatever it takes. Whatever it needs to be, I want to pursue this thing and give it a 110 percent. That's what I want to do.

Eisen: That's terrific. I guess you don't need me to tell you this, but now that training camp starts ... "here comes the pain!"

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:50 am

Not sure how many football fans we have on this side, but here's a Brock update:

Lesnar looms over camp
BOB SANSEVERE

Pioneer Press Columnist

MANKATO, Minn. - On Saturday, the man known in pro wrestling as The Next Big Thing began the next big thing in his life. Brock Lesnar pulled a No. 69 jersey over his chiseled upper body, put on a helmet, a pair of purple shorts and white cleats and practiced with the Vikings for the first time.

"Just a great story,'' Vikings owner Red McCombs said.

Ol' Red is right about that. The Vikings have Daunte Culpepper. They have Randy Moss. They have a new defensive coordinator and a renewed commitment to win the division. And yet Lesnar is the best story of training camp.

The theme isn't even whether he can make it in the NFL. It's that he is here. That he is serious about this. That he really would rather be pulling down a training camp stipend of $750 a week than continuing a pro wrestling career that paid millions.

"He's got a lot to lose,'' McCombs said. "He's got a big image. If he just hangs around for a day or two and bombs out, there's a lot to lose.''

Lesnar isn't here to hang around for just a day or two. The long haul, that's what this is all about.

"I've never settled for second place,'' said Lesnar, the NCAA heavyweight wrestling champion his senior year at the University of Minnesota as well as World Wrestling Entertainment's youngest champ ever. "I've never settled for disappointment.''

He was on the field by 8 a.m. Saturday. Practice didn't begin for another 45 minutes, but there was work to be done. A lot of work. Work on his stance. Work on how to use his hands. Work on his footwork. He even had to work on how to snap on his helmet. Every waking moment is being spent immersed in a crash course of how to play defensive tackle in the NFL.

It's all new. When you haven't played football since high school and you've been given a chance to live that dream of yours of playing in the NFL, you don't have a learning curve. You have a learning hole that needs filling in.

"I'm trying to survive,'' Lesnar said. "Trying not to look like a fool.''

Jim Panagos, the Vikings' assistant defensive line coach, has become Lesnar's personal coach. Panagos was with Lesnar from 8 o'clock in the a.m. on Saturday, telling him the right way to do things, encouraging him, filling in that learning hole. Panagos has been working with Lesnar every day since Tuesday, when he signed a contract with the Vikings for the league minimum.

"He's got a great work ethic,'' Panagos said. "He's getting better every drill.''

That is all anyone around here is asking. Improve. Each drill. Each day. Nobody expects Lesnar to make the final roster. You want to talk about a story. Now that, that would be an incredible story.

The practice squad is where coach Mike Tice wants Lesnar to land, and then, over the winter, have him head overseas to play in NFL Europe.

"We'll be very patient,'' Tice said. "Hopefully, he'll carve out a niche.''

Lesnar has help to do his carving. Besides Panagos, defensive tackle Chris Hovan is right there with Lesnar for most drills, offering guidance and advice. Hovan and Lesnar have been friends for years, and at training camp they are roommates.

"He said he would teach me some wrestling if I teach him football,'' Hovan said.

Hovan passed on the chance to learn some wrestling moves from Lesnar — "I don't want to get hurt before I take the field'' — but happily agreed to become his football Yoda.

"Any chance he has to get better, I'll help,'' Hovan said. "He hasn't played football in 10 years, but he's coming along. He's got phenomenal strength. And the guy is built like … I don't want use any profanity, but you know what I mean.''

I think we do.

When the morning practice ended, Lesnar walked through a gauntlet of several hundred fans who chirped his name: "Brock, Brock, Brock.'' They stuck out footballs, helmets, T-shirts, scraps of paper, anything they had handy that he could sign. One fan yelled, "Hey, Brock! What's up, Big Dog?''

The answer to that would be things.

Things are looking up for Brock Lesnar.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to General Talk